Grow tent heat

Stalecake1

Germinating
User ID
Hey guys id appreciate you advice for this newbie

Wondering if i need to get a portable ac unit.

Currently 1 plant in veg. I have a small grow tent (60 x 60 x 140), 4 inch inline extractor with carbon filter. Running a mars hydro ts1000 led light. Growing in my garage inside what is a essentially a big cupboard.

As its heated up here in the last few weeks, temps in the tent have crept up to highs of 33-35C

That’s probably a few degrees hotter that the actual garage gets in the afternoon sun.

Ive changed the light cycle to switch off from midday for 5 hours so it’s mostly on overnight, but the last few nights the tent only dropped to 28-29 overnight.

So i guess do i need to worry about these temps? Will it be too hot for good weed?
I can prob fit a small ac unit outside the tent (but still have it in the cupboard).

Attachments

• CA2E078B-0ED4-46F9-8D4F-EB24C7327B79.jpeg
    CA2E078B-0ED4-46F9-8D4F-EB24C7327B79.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
As long as you're not in Rdwc, heat is not a major issue for cannabis during veg. My indoors regularly hits 40C in summer. They will grow vigorously with adequate ventilation and water. I'll flip to flowering in mid Feb, so flowering finishes as ambient temps are cooling. You don't want big temps in last half of flowering.

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Last summer I was struggling with heat big time had 2 extraction fans 2 intakes 2 fans inside it was still cooking I can’t run ac as my shed has gaps everywhere what I did was put frozen water bottles in the intake ducting cools her down a fair bit pretty redneck approach but it does work some👍

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Can you draw air in for your intake from the southern side of the shed, or a part of the shed that maybe shaded by a overhanging tree, etc.. ?

Stalecake1

Germinating
User ID
Can you draw air in for your intake from the southern side of the shed, or a part of the shed that maybe shaded by a overhanging tree, etc.. ?
Yeah the intake is next to shaded side of the house. I’ve adjusted the lighting times to come off at 2 pm now when the light begins to hit the garage door its next to.

I think im going to put a radiant barrier insulation over tha garage door as that heats up to like 50-60 degrees. Might do this before ac as its a bit cheaper

Attachments

• 84B367AA-56BB-4B10-9135-F8D5EB836D63.jpeg
    84B367AA-56BB-4B10-9135-F8D5EB836D63.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 8

Indy

Misfit
User ID
That's the go. Look at what you're dealing with heat-wise first within the shed. Then once you think you've explored all options. Then see where you're at, and start considering A/C then. Because if you don't address that first, the A/C could prove futile because the unit can't combat the heat.

If you haven't already. Consider investing in a Digital Infrared Thermometer like this one. They're handy at eliminating any guess work when it comes to finding problematic heat sources.

Reactions: pug

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
I'm facing into this late in flower but my concern is more 'lights-off' period as I have the lights running overnight to avoid high daytime temps which has been very effective. My lights off temps have recently started getting higher than lights on - and looking at the current forecast is most likely going to become oppressively so. You might end up in the same boat if you plan to run lights on overnight in flower too. I'm looking at ghetto measures to see me through to the end but if you're heading into flower soonish you'll likely be having to deal with it for a quite a while.

I don't have an alternative solution to aircon to offer up; but if you're lung room (garage - garage cupboard) is gonna be hovering around 30 for most the flower period in the afternoons, it might be the only long term solution.

I have seen some ghetto dry-ice styro coolers with a little 6" fan (or smaller) setup before which would fit in your cupboard but McGuyvering stuff like this up is not really sustainable 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: pug
Top Bottom