Gro Dirt advice

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Hi all , new grower here looking for advice , I’m growing inside and wondering what to add when in veg / flowering state , if anything? And how often & how much water ? Sorry for all the questions,

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
It's already amended with different things which will apparently be enough from seed to harvest (or so the bag says anyway), You doing photoperiods or autoflowers? I guess you could do some aerated teas for a little boost every few weeks, humic / fulvic acids, bit of seaweed, molasses to feed the microbiota in the soil??

Gogo Juice would probably be easier and you can get it from Bunnings. Apart from that it should be fine to just use water. Then again some more knowledgeable soil growers might be able to chime in.

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I'm sure someone will chime in with relevant info for grodirt etc indoors...
I myself leave dirt for outside...
What kind of space, lamp etc were you considering using?

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
My advice ,,although you might not like it ,
I’d get a couple of grows under your belt before trying living soil..

Your other thread said you wanted to try coco next,,I’d be doing coco first before moving on to living soil.

It’s a fine line between too much or not enough water..coz the aim is to keep the soil alive,,get the watering wrong and you’ll be
facing disaster.

There are products like Bluemat that will regulate the watering but even then you’ll need a minimum of 50 litre pots ,
Anything smaller and your running the risk of killing off the life in the soil.

Notice the costs starting to rise already ?
Then there is amendments to buy,
All on top of it being your first grow.

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
yep the costs keep going up , got a 1x1x2 grow tent ,300w led light & a fan off a guy at work, someone else recons the soil option would be the best go for a first timer, it’s a bit of a nightmare, there’s far to many options, hopefully you guys can advise & educate
Thanks

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
yep the costs keep going up , got a 1x1x2 grow tent ,300w led light & a fan off a guy at work, someone else recons the soil option would be the best go for a first timer, it’s a bit of a nightmare, there’s far to many options, hopefully you guys can advise & educate
Thanks
That's a good starting point. As Sedge mentioned, I, too, would recommend Coco first. I think it is much easier for a beginner to learn the basics and to correct any mistakes made in coco, than it is in soil. Are your seeds regular or feminised?

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Seeds are feminised, (I hope ) what would be a good coco medium for a beginner, I’ve looked online and there’s so many different ones , and what about nutrients etc is there a good go to one , there seem to be so many different makes !!

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
This is good coco,,,my opinion is it’s as good as the dearer stuff they sell in hydro stores.

IMG_2366.png
You can use it on its own or add perlite and and even some potting mix .
My ratio is 3 parts cocopeat,1 part potting mix and 1 part perlite,
If you add potting mix they all vary. I get good results using this
IMG_2365.png

Perlite is cheaper in 50 litre bags from hydro stores,,it’s too dear at Bunnings.

Grorite and Budrite are very good nutrients to use and don’t need all the expensive additives that other brands want you to buy,

Grorite and Budrite at $68 for 2 five litre bottles of A+B
IMG_2367.pngIMG_2368.png

If your tight for money just get the grow nutes first then a month or so later get budding nutrients for the flowering phase.

Don’t listen to crap about dearer nutrients ,,this shit works as good if not better than the dear shit that you then supposed to spend more on additives

That’s my two bobs worth ,,but up to you what advice you want to follow and buy.

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for that sedge , I’ll look into that , do you have a preference with online stores ? And what ratio is your coco mix ?
Thanks

R3za92

Baked
User ID
This is good coco,,,my opinion is it’s as good as the dearer stuff they sell in hydro stores.

View attachment 46578
View attachment 46579

Perlite is cheaper in 50 litre bags from hydro stores,,it’s too dear at Bunnings.

Grorite and Budrite are very good nutrients to use and don’t need all the expensive additives that other brands want you to buy,

View attachment 46580View attachment 46581

If your tight for money just get the grow nutes first then a month or so later get budding nutrients for the flowering phase.

Don’t listen to crap about dearer nutrients ,,this shit works as good if not better than the dear shit that you then supposed to spend more on additives

That’s my two bobs worth ,,but up to you what advice you want to follow and buy.

Just keep an eye on the Bunnings coco. Pulled a full 1/4 of coconut husk out of my last bag. I’m still going to keep using it though

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Are most people going with grorite & Budrite ? Or is there more recommendations, it’s getting a bit obsessive this growing 😂

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Are most people going with grorite & Budrite ? Or is there more recommendations, it’s getting a bit obsessive this growing 😂
No ,some do ,

You have multiple choices of nutrients that do basically the same,,but many cost more and then if you want to follow their particular regime you need to buy extra additives but the outcome is much the same.
So why pay extra for fancy labels and false promises of extra yield,,?
I’ve not yet seen better outcomes from the very expensive nutes,even when the grower uses all the additives a particular brand offers,,You can spend hundreds on nutes but all you doing is wasting money,,
Look through the grow diaries ,,some use expensive nutes but that doesn’t mean they get better yields,,

Another thing ,,you can run a high EC ,( high strength) nutes
But that won’t give you higher or better yield,,
But the nute bottles tell you to use X amount ,that is so you run out quicker and buy more of their product.

Higher yield comes from genetics ,plain and simple.
As far as I’m concerned lighting plays a bigger role than the nutrients,

Just steer clear of brands that say you need their additives,,coz you’ll be wasting your money,,

That’s why I recommended gro and Bud rite.
But as I said earlier it’s your choice

benn0

Baked
User ID
Last edited:

R3za92

Baked
User ID
I currently use house and garden cocos because I bought 10l’s at an auction for like $100 but when I’ve finished it I’ll go back to using ag grade salts which cost cents per litre because I’m a cheap bastard

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I’ve used the Gro Dirt lite. Had it in a wicking planter. In tent. Worked great.

You want to make sure you have a good handle on gnats though. The products is a soil so inside you will certainly get them sooner than later.

HPO have a product called Alfamulch but I haven’t used it yet. Meant to be great as gnat prevention.

But like people have said. Learn to grow before diving into more specifics.
The gro dirt alone will be a good place to start if you have already purchased it.

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID

View attachment 46578
View attachment 46579

View attachment 46578
View attachment 46579

View attachment 46578
View attachment 46579

Hey Sedge , does the coco need buffering or is it good to go ?
Cheers

Top Bottom