Grinder Kief Topical

pug

Vegetating
User ID
Been wanting to find a practical use for grinder kief for donkeys. Smoking (or vaping) grinder kief usually leads to an interesting, but not that enjoyable experience, as the combination of cannabinoids and terpenes from the ground indica and sativa buds, don’t seem to combine very well.

This topical recipe has helped me with pain and inflammation and seems a reasonable way to use Grinder Kief. :)

For a good concentration level, 150mg of Cannabinoids per 10ml works well with a 15% essential oil level (or 1.5ml per 10ml). Been using essential oils, as they seem to move more easily through the skin layer (making the cannabinoid receptors more accessible) and they soak into the skin better than ointments. Probably worth noting that higher cannabinoid levels don’t seem to be a problem, but some people might find an essential oil amount over 15% could irritate their skin. Most grinder kief (using flower at or over 20% THC/CBD) seems to come in at around the 65%-70% THC/CBD. Also, this % doesn’t include other cannabinoids, so the actual total cannabinoid amount would most likely be slightly higher.

Going with a conservative guesstimate that the cannabinoid % for grinder kief is lower and around 60% (or 600mg per gram), then 0.25g of kief (per 10ml of total fluid), is needed to get to the 150mg cannabinoid mark. So a 25ml bottle, will require 0.625g of grinder kief and 3.75 ml of essential oils.

1grinder kiefa.jpg

2grinder kief total a.jpg

That's a fair bit of grinder kief, so extra kief might need to be added to make up any shortfall.

3extra kiefa.jpg

A carrier oil is also needed to dilute the essential oils - have found that Jojoba oil does the job well, as it’s more a wax than an oil and has a long shelf-life.

So … all up … a 25ml bottle of this topical will need 0.625g of kief, 3.75ml of essential oils and approx 21ml of Jojoba oil.

4kief and oilsa.jpg

5first mixeda.jpg

If having a collection of essential oils isn’t your thing, than using only lavender for the 3.75ml essential oil component works fine. If you want to get a better combo and don’t mind some pretty funky smells, then you could use the following per 25ml bottle:

2ml of Lavender Oil (60 drops)
1ml of Frankincense Oil (30 drops)
0.5ml of Cedar Wood Oil (15 drops)
5 drops of Myrrh Oil

6ready to poura.jpg

When applying to the skin, the best results seem to come from shaking well, using a dropper (just a few drops goes a long way) and applying with heat, either by warming hands before applying, putting on after a shower or rubbing into the skin gently to cause friction heat. If you have sensitive skin or if your kief supply is a bit low, it is probably worth making a 1/2 strength concoction first time round. If you want a full-strength batch, but have limited kief, then making a 10ml oil, could also be a goer. Also … don’t forget to decarb your kief - 115 degrees C for 40 minutes works well for this.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Been wanting to find a practical use for grinder kief for donkeys. Smoking (or vaping) grinder kief usually leads to an interesting, but not that enjoyable experience, as the combination of cannabinoids and terpenes from the ground indica and sativa buds, don’t seem to combine very well.

This topical recipe has helped me with pain and inflammation and seems a reasonable way to use Grinder Kief. :)

For a good concentration level, 150mg of Cannabinoids per 10ml works well with a 15% essential oil level (or 1.5ml per 10ml). Been using essential oils, as they seem to move more easily through the skin layer (making the cannabinoid receptors more accessible) and they soak into the skin better than ointments. Probably worth noting that higher cannabinoid levels don’t seem to be a problem, but some people might find an essential oil amount over 15% could irritate their skin. Most grinder kief (using flower at or over 20% THC/CBD) seems to come in at around the 65%-70% THC/CBD. Also, this % doesn’t include other cannabinoids, so the actual total cannabinoid amount would most likely be slightly higher.

Going with a conservative guesstimate that the cannabinoid % for grinder kief is lower and around 60% (or 600mg per gram), then 0.25g of kief (per 10ml of total fluid), is needed to get to the 150mg cannabinoid mark. So a 25ml bottle, will require 0.625g of grinder kief and 3.75 ml of essential oils.

View attachment 21936

View attachment 21937

That's a fair bit of grinder kief, so extra kief might need to be added to make up any shortfall.

View attachment 21938

A carrier oil is also needed to dilute the essential oils - have found that Jojoba oil does the job well, as it’s more a wax than an oil and has a long shelf-life.

So … all up … a 25ml bottle of this topical will need 0.625g of kief, 3.75ml of essential oils and approx 21ml of Jojoba oil.

View attachment 21939

View attachment 21940

If having a collection of essential oils isn’t your thing, than using only lavender for the 3.75ml essential oil component works fine. If you want to get a better combo and don’t mind some pretty funky smells, then you could use the following per 25ml bottle:

2ml of Lavender Oil (60 drops)
1ml of Frankincense Oil (30 drops)
0.5ml of Cedar Wood Oil (15 drops)
5 drops of Myrrh Oil

View attachment 21941

When applying to the skin, the best results seem to come from shaking well, using a dropper (just a few drops goes a long way) and applying with heat, either by warming hands before applying, putting on after a shower or rubbing into the skin gently to cause friction heat. If you have sensitive skin or if your kief supply is a bit low, it is probably worth making a 1/2 strength concoction first time round. If you want a full-strength batch, but have limited kief, then making a 10ml oil, could also be a goer. Also … don’t forget to decarb your kief - 115 degrees C for 40 minutes works well for this.

Hope it helps :)
G'day mate, wondering if u feel any effect from this, in a stoned sense
I'm sure essential oils will relax u, but if u really pump thc level, would u feel it through skin ?
Since u mention de-carb i'm assuming this is so

Reactions: pug

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I'm sure essential oils will relax u, but if u really pump thc level, would u feel it through skin ?
You could look into either mixing your RSO with Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) or apply a DMSO dilution to the skin before rubbing in the oil. I'm not a chemist, but that stuff will massivly increase the transdermal absorption of pretty much anything and it is a free radical scavenger in its own right.

pug

Vegetating
User ID
G'day AB

there's been a few transdermal studies that have found essential oils (mainly looking at lavender) to pass through the epidermis and the dermal layer and into the blood stream - i think that the stomach was the area that seemed to be the best spot for this, although the neck also seems a good place too.

the idea behind the essential oils is to be a carrier through the epidermis and to connect with the cannabinoid receptors and disrupt pain sensations. i'm not a chemist either and not sure if i've got the theory correct ... but i like to experiment with this stuff.

i've tried using just essential oils, different thc concentrations with essentials, different essential oil amounts and also non-decarbed cannabinoids with essential oils. With thc and cbd added there is a big difference in 'forgetting' pain is there - if that makes sense. the non-decarbed oil was good for inflammation, but i didn't find much difference in pain reduction. i've also tried to see if the essential oils will naturally decarb over time in straight lavender oil and it looks like they do, but not as quickly as with alcohol in a tincture.

i've never experienced a stoned effect mate ... although to tell you the truth, i'm pretty much stoned all day, so maybe not the best one to judge that ... hehehe. i'm had a few volunteers use the concoction, but none have mentioned a stoned effect - and at least two of them don't partake in the goodness. :)

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Mate if it has an effect in reducing arthritic pain and inflammation then i'm in
Stuff the stoned effect, u can get that easily
Do u think 1-1 thc and cbd a better combo, or higher thc?
Been looking 4 something that's good 4 knees for some time now

Red Eye Hero

Baked
User ID
I’m thinking of making some arthritis cream for my partner’s grandfather does anyone know if THC moisturises actually work

Reactions: pug

pug

Vegetating
User ID
Mate if it has an effect in reducing arthritic pain and inflammation then i'm in
Stuff the stoned effect, u can get that easily
Do u think 1-1 thc and cbd a better combo, or higher thc?
Been looking 4 something that's good 4 knees for some time now
Hey mate

i use mine on my knees and other joints and it helps. most of the concoctions have been mainly thc based. i've just recently started to grow a high cbd strain and for this latest batch, i didn't have enough grinder kief, so used some cbd kief ... it seems just as effective. for topicals, i'm going with the theory that the more variety the better.

pug

Vegetating
User ID
I’m thinking of making some arthritis cream for my partner’s grandfather does anyone know if THC moisturises actually work
hey Red Eye

i've used an ointment called Buddha Buddah and it helped a little bit. it was a bit greasy for my liking and it only had 200mg of thc for 30ml.

Red Eye Hero

Baked
User ID
hey Red Eye

i've used an ointment called Buddha Buddah and it helped a little bit. it was a bit greasy for my liking and it only had 200mg of thc for 30ml.
I was thinking of making my own just trying to find the best recipe I do have a magic butter machine that has a recipe

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Do u remember t.h.c, r.s.o content ITchy old boy ?
Was your knee like at time, just a bit achy, more than sore or looking 4 chainsaw ?

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
hey bob
pug did give me details at the time but i can't remember , i'm sure Pug can run the numbers for you
i would say my knee was a bit achy , not more than sore & i didn't want it removed completely;)

Top Bottom