Going hydro?

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
How long will salt nutes last in a res..?
Last? Until they run out I spose. They don't have a defined life as such BUT the salts in your fluids will rise and rise in a recirc system. During 'grow' (18/6) both pH and EC stay fairly stable in my setup, but during flower (12/12) there's a bit more movement.

Here's what I do: I have a 200ltr tank I fill with straight tapwater. I mix an ec/pH balanced solution in my tub. Each day I check my fluids, then dilute my fluids back to my desired levels and check/adjust the pH.
Once each fortnight I biff the contents of my tub and flush my pots and system. Fill the tub up with fresh water (from my 200ltr tank) test/adjust the pH and let it run for an hr, I close of the pot outlets and flood the medium. Biff the water, refresh and repeat. I keep repeating until the EC going in equals the EC coming out. I also get under the plant with a hose and wash the top of the medium.
And how do I know if they “go bad” ?
There can be a few differing signs.
1) You can't dilute your fluids enough to get the EC down or your pH to stabilize.
2) Your fluids feel slimy or slippery
3) You can see a green algae in your setup
4) There's a salt build up, especially on water heaters (if you use one)
5) Your plant looks unwell. A good flush can often clear issues.

So that's what I do and why I do it, others may say it's overkill, it doesn't need to be flushed so often
BUT if you keep you setup clean you'll save yourself a load of headfucks. A happy median is better for your plant and your sanity. Trying to manage flushing is much easier than trying to manage an unhealthy plant.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
Top Bottom