Faark that stinks

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
I got an odur issue and I'm stumped as to what is causing it. I'll give a bit of info and if there's something anyone thinks I've missed something or perhaps doing something wrong I'd appreciate your help.

It was so bad during my recent grow I actually pulled my crop a week or so early coz the smell got so bad you'd think it was unfiltered.

I recently bought a new Phresh carbon filter suitable for the amount of air my 10 inch fan exhausts, bit over 1000cfm.

This is in a 5x9 tent and the fan is next in line connected to the filter. Then the air is ducted about 4 metres with a couple bends in the ducting which then goes to just below my window sill and is strapped there directing the air towards the window but out of view if you were to look at the window from outside, then a curtain is pinned around the entire window frame and the ducting tobseal off any sunlight coming in.
I then put in place of the flyscreen a sheet of perspex with a shutter fan mounted in it to pull the air out.

I use passive intake using two of the mesh vents at bottom of the tent and I always have negative pressure so all the air from in the tent first goes through the filter and here's the weird thing,, I've stuck my face in the ducting and I can't smell anything really, perhaps a very very faint smell of buds but nothing like how bad it smells outside my unit! Out there it sometimes smells like freshly cut buds it's unmistakable.

I don't understand wtf is going on and a few mates have made the comment that it's weird how inside you can't smell it at all.

I even questioned my local about the possibility of buying a dodgy filter, a lemon so to speak and his explanation was that I wasn't using forced intake which simply doesn't make sense but he had a point when he said "but you can't smell it at the end of the ducting can you?" Which he was right, I can't which is making this such a weird one.

Is it possible the smell could be leaking in through the fan body or motor somehow?

I'm lost for an explanation so any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll post a few pics tomorrow but feel free to ask anything I might have forgotten to mention.

Thanks

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Someone else is growing nearby!!
If it don't smell at yours or coming out of your ducting it's not you!!

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
if you cant smell it in the room the tents in and you cant smell it coming out of the duct ?? I cant think of anything unless its coming out so fast your not able to detect the smell. try turning the fan down to minimum and smell the air compared to when it up high.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
if you cant smell it in the room the tents in and you cant smell it coming out of the duct ?? I cant think of anything unless its coming out so fast your not able to detect the smell. try turning the fan down to minimum and smell the air compared to when it up high.
Even stand where you can feel where the airflow starts to stop and smell that!
Is it possible something is fast enough not to be smelt? 🤣

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Someone else is growing nearby!!
If it don't smell at yours or coming out of your ducting it's not you!!
That did occur to me but the only other person growing near me only has one plant at most so and it's down other end of my block.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Okay I'll check it out. Yeh it's really strange huh I'm absolutely stumped but there's no doubt it's definitely me that stinks I just don't understand how the hell it smells so strong outside it doesn't make sense

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Perhaps it’s not exhausting effectively?

What if you instead put the exhaust duct in to your hall outside the bedroom. Turn of the shutter fan(what is that?).

Leave it run for a bit then see if your entire house smells, but outside not so much?

Seems strange, but I’d also expect someone else is growing..

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Is your filter around the right way.flow direction is filter in or out tent.
How old is ducting?do U have hose clamps or tape.cant be much.

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Man depends on the stanky shit ya growing I know at harvest I’ve gotta run a 10 inch phresh filter with hyper fan in the shed cause the 6 inch can filters don’t cut it inside the tent but I’m thinking that’s from coming in and out of the tent and letting the stink out plus ya get used to the smell I had my old man back in the day say he could smell it from the letterbox I couldn’t smell a thing? I’d exuast it into the room instead of outside for the day c if she reeks the joint up👍 if it does ya need a new filter anyway regardless of how new it is I’ve also heard that to much humidity will clog em up to but that’s just bro science👍

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Perhaps it’s not exhausting effectively?

What if you instead put the exhaust duct in to your hall outside the bedroom. Turn of the shutter fan(what is that?).

Leave it run for a bit then see if your entire house smells, but outside not so much?

Seems strange, but I’d also expect someone else is growing..
It is bloody strange Billy but it's definitely me mainly because there isn't anyone else growing multiple plants and itd be a funny coincidence if someone is coinciding their bloom with mine 4 times a year at the exact time I do.

So this is a shutter fan and if 16995829651427925916987051272894.jpg you look closely you'll see the end of the exhaust ducting. It runs in tandem with the exhaust to help expel the air. The idea is to try keep the ducting out of view. It looks red hot with shiny silver ducting taped to the window and bit messy looking too. But that's just me being anal retentive.

Have you ever run an exhaust set up where you push the air through the filter opposed to pulling? I read fans run slightly more efficiently pushing instead of pulling but in all honesty I think that's neither here nor there. I think the system is fantastic.. if it filtered the damn air.

I even wonder if perhaps it has something to do with the vacuum effect which seems to be engineered into my apartment. I'm on the top level so gets real windy and at one end there big sliding door to balcony and up the other end the front door with an open plan kitchen and lounge room in between. The vacuum that's produced on a windy day when I open front door or depending which way the wind is blowing it produces this phenomenonal vacuum through my unit and I'm wondering if somehow it's enough force to perhaps draw the smell out of my tent?!?!?

But that's what negative pressure is for, right?

It's got me stumped mate.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
How your carbon filter , maybe check it , it should prevent any odours from the tent from escaping

I've had my tents full of buds , can't smell till you open zippers , something ain't right

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
If your pushing the air through ya might have holes in the ducting letting it escape I always pull through em with the filter inside the tent?

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
If your pushing the air through ya might have holes in the ducting letting it escape I always pull through em with the filter inside the tent?
Yeah agree that's how they are supposed to work with air pulling through.
I he's using it in reverse that's probably the problem!

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
How your carbon filter , maybe check it , it should prevent any odours from the tent from escaping

I've had my tents full of buds , can't smell till you open zippers , something ain't right
I bought a new Phresh carbon filter about 6 months ago so it's good.. well it should be good. The thing is huge and weighs almost as much as me but it's getting to the point where I'm thinking perhaps I've been very unlucky and bought a faulty filter.

The other possibility ive considered is perhaps the smell is somehow being pulled in through the body of the fan but i went over it and I don't see how it would. And the weird thing Mick is I've stuck my head in the end of the ducting and it smells clean like it's being filtered alright and it definitely doesn't smell anything like how strong it smells outside my unit.

Anyhow I'll work it out one day. Perhaps I've missed something I'll go back over it all.

Could it be possible I'm simply not running enough consistent back pressure? It's a little hard to measure it and compare results.

I'll keep looking.

Top Bottom