Durban poison

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Anyone grown Durban poison outdoors, and can give approx harvest month for Aus? Online reports vary wildly from end Sept to early Nov( Northern hemisphere). Bags called DP. ( apparently ??)were selling around here few years ago - it went ok. Those nugs appeared to be grown indoors. If finishes too late in season, will keep for an indoor run.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
I haven't grown it outdoors myself but looking at other grows I'd say allow for 10 weeks of Flowering
maybe 11 but it's supposed to be fairly mold resistant (dutch passion version) so you might get away with it depending what your Autumn weather is like

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Also what do DP buds smell like?
The DP (allegedly?) stuff getting around here for months tasted like pine. Can't recall any outstanding smell as it was very dry(too dry). Instant head rush through bong, which I mainly smoked through back then.

Bomber

Vegetating
User ID
The stuff I tried years ago that was supposed to be DP tasted like aniseed

This.

Bought in"pencils" in SA, not weight, which was buds placed end to end and then wrapped in strips of brown brown paper, wrapped barbers pole style, to form the shape of a pencil. No idea why. Must be an African thing because Malawi weed was always sold in "cobs", not weight, same idea only replace brown paper with corn husks and string.

Useless trivia.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
This.

Bought in"pencils" in SA, not weight, which was buds placed end to end and then wrapped in strips of brown brown paper, wrapped barbers pole style, to form the shape of a pencil. No idea why. Must be an African thing because Malawi weed was always sold in "cobs", not weight, same idea only replace brown paper with corn husks and string.

Useless trivia.

just as you described..
your the first person I’ve come across that’s seen them ,,,i didn’t know they were Durban though ,,That’s cool ,,now I know I’ve had real Durban lol.
saw Them in Melbourne 1974,,met two Pommy merchant seamen at Hosies hotel,,,,just remember them saying they’d been to east coast of Africa ,,its also the first and last time I saw a real cob ,,,,,gotta say it didn’t look like corn husks though ,,whatever it was wrapped in was dry and tough as wood,,,Seemed thicker than corn husks,,,whatever it was tied with ( at the ends ) had dried to a woody texture also,,,,needed a bread knife to basically saw the cob open.

Bomber

Vegetating
User ID
80's Africa didn't have much in the way of quality assurance when it came to weed, or zol, as its referred there.

The weed inside the cobs would almost fuse together over time, resulting in a hard, crumbly product that was fucking strong, provided it was genuine. The crooks cottoned on and would "manufacture" Malawi cob using shitty local Majat as it was called, just seeded shit stuff grown in a township minus any clue other than drop the seeds in the ground and add water then wrap in corn husks. No sexing was done, so you were guaranteed to have fully seeded zol pretty much wherever you went...

We would travel once a year to a place called Mazeppa bay, not far from where Mandela was born actually, in the Transkei, accessible only by MX bikes really, where we bought weed by the handful, literally, paying a Rand a hand or one Rand per handful, scooped ourselves, straight out of hessian corn bags, or 10c AU equivalent now, for as much as you could hold in a hand, literally stored in straw mud huts.

This was early 80's, so this price means nothing other than to highlight it cost practically zip.

Id buy a Woolies shopping bag full.

Again, no scales, no weighing....3rd world gangsta style, mon!!

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Interesting back stories on DP experiences. The legit stuff obviously evokes positive memories. My DP seeds are via MSNL. l'll pop a few seeds towards end of the month, with the most vigorous looking lady heading for an outdoor home in late Oct.

User ID
Hey Old Fox, i grew Durban Poison, she took about 9 weeks, that was me just supplimenting the day light with extra light, to make it to 12/12

My DP got messed up with aphids, cant really smoke her atm till i think of what to do. I have tried a few buds and it was a nice , when she was rippening i think her scent was a bit limey. Mine was from Dutch Passion., not sure i noticed that Pugs

Cheech

Vegetating
User ID
Bought DP from Amsterdam 2000 circa was already semi adulterated from its LR heritage but still had some of the best qualities of anything seen before or after, aniseed notes active high ,sad to lose her..

Squire

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Here we go Back in the early 80's 🤪I was working on a construction camp in western QLD. A bloke approaches me and asked if I know anything about growing plants?? ( Must of been pissed and mouthing off about growing a patch) He says he has these Durban Poison plants would I take a look. He drags out a beer carton from under his bed had about 40 mm of mud in it.
The plants had grown about a foot without light still in the cotyledon stage then fell over like a box of sprouts.
Mate you need to give them some sun:LOL:
We were in cow country so drove around until I found a large patch of blackberries. Doug the middle out and planted them added a drum of water. Went back a week later Wow they were at the 5th node and racing . Doug them up a week later and moved them to the coast. Wouldn't you know had to move them again 2 weeks later Mates mum complaining too big. We smoked some of the lower yellow leaves and all got stoned. Ended up loosing them to dry weather and no water. Smoked some more yellow leaves we all got stoned again. Of course he had to plant all the seeds at once . Lost for ever😭
I have never seen seed that big and strong and never smoked leaf like that since.

Where did he get them?? A bloke on a ship from Africa gave them to him for helping carry off some sticks at Perth.

Top Bottom