dehumidifiers how big for a 1.2 x1.2

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
So am running a fan heater atm going to chew a lot of power . Was thinking a small one . One that holds 2 lt big enough?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Gday mate I run a Shinco 10litre on continuous mode with a hose coming out of my tent they work pretty well keeps it within45-55 rh I think they are bout 2-3hungy off catch it’s better to put it outside the tent and condition the air going in 👍 but if space or open shed is an issue u can put it inside just remember the air exchange from your exhaust will probably overpower it not giving it enough time to dehumidify the air you can get an ink bird controller though that will turn shit on n off when needed sorry for long winded post hope it helps ya out👍

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Sounds good was thinking something smaller . Miserable bastard trying to save some money:cautious:
Yea I know this growing caper can eat into ya funds pretty well mate u can try a smaller 1 but I honestly think it will be a waste of time man on a rainy day without continuous it would be full in an hr at lights off might help that initial spike right as the lights go off but I dunno how much. can only do what u can do mate👍 It’s actually a pretty small unit the shinco they are 200$ I just looked dunno bout shipping but👍 You can always just blow the fuck out of em with fans molds n mildews don’t like airflow much.

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Oh ok $200 bucks is ok if that is all thanks for the help. My tent is indoors so don't know where I would run the water

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Drain it into any container that's lower than the outlet of the dehumidifier. Preferably at least one large enough that you only have empty once a day, or your personal preference.

But yeah, like Love mentioned. It pays to get a decent one that is up to the task. Getting one that comes up short could be heartbreaking after losing a crop to a few days of high humidity, just a couple of weeks out from harvest.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
Hi mate I purchased a dehumidifier from an Australian company called Ausclimate roughly 2 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat.

It's a compressor dehumidifier which will work more efficiently under a much larger temperature range than the desiccant models.

This model has a large on board tank which is easy to empty and also comes with a drain hose to allow continue drainage.

Also has the auto restart function which is required if you wish to control the machine via a separate controller such as inkbird products and many other automation systems.

And to top it off a 5 year warranty on the machine is offered at no extra cost.

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
I forgot to mention I actually purchased it through Amazon but you'd imagine if bought direct the same warranty conditions would apply.

Also I forgot mention the drain hose isn't tremendously long at about a metre max but I have MacGyvered up a pump out system with a tiny water pump on a timer and long hose to the outside.

I've found my HVAC system does a sufficient job of keeping VPD levels ideal but it is very handy when humidity levels outside are too high to make any difference in my lung room and often during flower when the ladies are fat and sweating profusely it helps to control humidity.

Also great for the initial 24 hours of drying bud to draw out the initial moisture then maintain humidity levels 60ish percent or whatever your method is.

I went with that particular size in order to effectively control lung room environment but perhaps a little overkill for use in your tent. I assume many do operate them in their actual tent..

Anyway good luck with it mate

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Drain it into any container that's lower than the outlet of the dehumidifier. Preferably at least one large enough that you only have empty once a day, or your personal preference.

But yeah, like Love mentioned. It pays to get a decent one that is up to the task. Getting one that comes up short could be heartbreaking after losing a crop to a few days of high humidity, just a couple of weeks out from harvest.
yeah i hear you thanks

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Hi mate I purchased a dehumidifier from an Australian company called Ausclimate roughly 2 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat.

It's a compressor dehumidifier which will work more efficiently under a much larger temperature range than the desiccant models.

This model has a large on board tank which is easy to empty and also comes with a drain hose to allow continue drainage.

Also has the auto restart function which is required if you wish to control the machine via a separate controller such as inkbird products and many other automation systems.

And to top it off a 5 year warranty on the machine is offered at no extra cost.

going to check it out thanks for the recommendation(y)

Hudo

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I've toyed with the ideah of a dehumidifier but I've got 2× 350cfm extraction fans in a 2.4 ×1.2. My question is living in QLD wouldn't my fans suck in and replace the air with more humid air than the dehumidifier can process ? Or would I be better off reducing airflow and adding a dehumidifier?

Yamumzbum

Curing
User ID
yeah i hear you thanks
Just to add to what Indy said, make sure the container you use to drain into has some type of lid because you don't want a large container of water with an open top sitting right next to the dehumidifier it kind of ruins the whole point of having the dehumidifier in the first place, does that make sense?

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Just to add to what Indy said, make sure the container you use to drain into has some type of lid because you don't want a large container of water with an open top sitting right next to the dehumidifier it kind of ruins the whole point of having the dehumidifier in the first place, does that make sense?
Bloody good point, mate. Spot on. (y)

I put my dehumidifier on a milk crate that drains into a 35L Nylex tub with a lid. Drilled a 50mm hole in a corner of the lid for the hose.

vl23oqmz_s-l500-375x300.jpg

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I've toyed with the ideah of a dehumidifier but I've got 2× 350cfm extraction fans in a 2.4 ×1.2. My question is living in QLD wouldn't my fans suck in and replace the air with more humid air than the dehumidifier can process ? Or would I be better off reducing airflow and adding a dehumidifier?
Yes I will reduce the extraction down once I get the dehumidifier with 3 clip on fans moving the air around. :unsure: Need to put some thought into this. ... Perfect world would be moist air out dry air in ;)

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Thanks to @Yamumzbum advise I purchased a dehumidifier . I only went for the 16 litre one which is great has drain hose option and warms the tent a bit and keeps humidity below 50% . Dropped the exhaust down from 8 to 3 .Turned off the in line Cultiv8 on the inlet side and now much quieter . Every body seems happy in there . Except for the dh that knocked one of the clip on fans down and broke a couple of branches :cry: Sometimes I wonder what the fuck I am doing.

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I used the 12L Ausclimate all last winter and it didn't skip a beat. Placed inside the tent, but I routed the continuous drain outside the tent into a bucket. The RH% wasn't always great, but I had an unused Inkbird humidity controller and together they worked well. It does add heat to my tent, but the dehum is working hardest during lights off and I often need some heat during winter nights.

Squire

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I used the 12L Ausclimate all last winter and it didn't skip a beat. Placed inside the tent, but I routed the continuous drain outside the tent into a bucket. The RH% wasn't always great, but I had an unused Inkbird humidity controller and together they worked well. It does add heat to my tent, but the dehum is working hardest during lights off and I often need some heat during winter nights.
Same need a bit of warmth so works well . Lights on at night to keep warm. You can see on the graph as it cycles in and out the temp goes up and down a bit. Very happy

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I do the same, lights on at night and dark during the day. Definitely helps in TAS with warm summer days and cold winter nights. I recently got a humidifier with controller and it has really helped with VPD during the veg stage.

Top Bottom