deficiency or genetics?

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
This plant has me confused - it's from the grow diary 7EG Raspberry shoes indoor. Leaves are changing colour pretty dramatically in week 4 of flower. Looks attractive and happy to put it down to genetics. Curious if I'm missing an obvious deficiency...

leaf colour change indoor .jpg
leaf colour change 2.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
It's in soil. I've tried take a pH of the soil but not confident about it. I have a HM digital reader.. Soil seemed to be around 7.5. I'm watering with some organic bloom nutrients at about 6-6.5.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Is it calibrated? I have 4 pH meters just to be entirely sure they are good and recalibrate if they are out of whack. I am not the biggest fan of soil since I have the same issues over watering and going completely yellow.. I'd be flushing it out with pH water with a bit of magnesium and calcium, wouldn't really worry about soil pH since the meter probably isn't accurate. The soil will buffer the water so it will change anyway. Highly recommend Coco for next time

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
Is it calibrated? I have 4 pH meters just to be entirely sure they are good and recalibrate if they are out of whack. I am not the biggest fan of soil since I have the same issues over watering and going completely yellow.. I'd be flushing it out with pH water with a bit of magnesium and calcium, wouldn't really worry about soil pH since the meter probably isn't accurate. The soil will buffer the water so it will change anyway. Highly recommend Coco for next time
Yeah, calibrated with buffering solution.
So you think it's a deficiency then? Calmag?

How did you measure pH? Best to do a soil slurry ph test
Soil test was done with a couple of samples slurried in distilled water

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yeah, calibrated with buffering solution.
So you think it's a deficiency then? Calmag?

Soil test was done with a couple of samples slurried in distilled water
Yep deficiency due to pH lockout, I might be wrong but if you are feeding/have been feeding then there's probably an accumulation of salts in the soil but i am no expert with soil so I'm sure the real soil growers here will jump on and correct me. If you can try to get a runoff ppm reading it may pinpoint the issue? Hopefully you can sort it

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
jeez, not what I wanted to he
Yep deficiency due to pH lockout, I might be wrong but if you are feeding/have been feeding then there's probably an accumulation of salts in the soil but i am no expert with soil so I'm sure the real soil growers here will jump on and correct me. If you can try to get a runoff ppm reading it may pinpoint the issue? Hopefully you can sort it
Jeez, not what I wanted to here, what a complicated mess this indoor growing is :LOL:

I've been feeding organic liquid fertiliser (professors bloom - fish and seaweed based) - does this tend to accumulate as salts? I thought organics weren't 'salts' so to speak..?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID

Jeez, not what I wanted to here, what a complicated mess this indoor growing is :LOL:

I've been feeding organic liquid fertiliser (professors bloom - fish and seaweed based) - does this tend to accumulate as salts? I thought organics weren't 'salts' so to speak..?
Well seaweed can be salty according to some here, while I haven't had issues with seasol powerfeed etc outside I will agree to an extent with the argument about 'seaweed ferts being salty', it shouldn't be an issue unless there's some lockout happening, it will accumulate more over time, pretty sure there's a load of potassium in seaweed too so
Copied from Google
Excess potassium can interfere with the uptake of magnesium and calcium, leading to deficiencies in these nutrients. Salt Stress: High levels of potassium can cause salt stress,

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID

Organic nutrients can still accumulate salts in the medium due to the way fixation and barter works in the rhizosphere, especially if the whole ecosystem isn't in sync. One example: organic nitrogen is broken down by microbes into a gas (NH3) which will react with acids to form salts over time. Microbes also excrete digestive enzymes/acids (humic and citric acids) which will help facilitate this chain reaction.

This goes for other organic Macros and Micros. In organic forms they usually need some fixation from microbes to be passed onto the plants in a simpler form which will leave behind compounds which can react with bases or acids to form salts and other insoluble compounds over time.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
This plant has me confused - it's from the grow diary 7EG Raspberry shoes indoor. Leaves are changing colour pretty dramatically in week 4 of flower. Looks attractive and happy to put it down to genetics. Curious if I'm missing an obvious deficiency...

View attachment 44629
View attachment 44630
what size pots are you in & talk about your watering = when & how you water

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
I
what size pots are you in & talk about your watering = when & how you water
It's just the one plant in a 8 gallon pot. I'm watering every second or third day at the moment. Filtered water, watering can from the top. I have a fungus gnat issue going on so have been conscious of letting the top soil dry out between waterings. Never super dry though, has been hot and humid here.

I'm probably giving 4-5 litres per watering. The last two have been with professors bloom nutrients, bat guano, molasses and gogo juice - pH of that solution has been around 6-6.5.

I have been top dressing with diatomaceous earth after watering for the last 6 or 7 cycles I'd say. Just looked up the pH of that and is high so maybe contributing to a lockout issue??

Weary of flushing as thinking it might just give the gnats a real boost with all that moisture??

Thanks for the input so far everyone, appreciate it!

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
Just tested soil pH again today, looks like it might be up in the 7.8-8.0 range. Thinking I should try bring it down..
I have a bottle of phosphoric acid. What kind of pH water should I aim to use do you think?

GlennT_59

Blooming
User ID

View attachment 44629
View attachment 44630
Hey mate. I don't know a lot about genetics etc , and how 7E genetics produce theit strains, but anyway I'm a bit of a noob grower. but I did notice when growing their stuff it behave kinda like this for their backseat preacher and their Kraken. They seem to colour up aftywer a few weeks. Not sure if its what they've crossed with or what but that looks normal to what I've grown of theirs.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
probably should stop the top dressings of DE , i don't think that's your problem but too much of anything is usually never a good thing , i understand your probably doing it because of the gnat issue

it does look like that strain changes color during flower

hold off on the PH'ing for the moment & do you have a pic of the whole plant
do you have access to fresh worm castings
are you using a peat based soil mix in that pot
do you ever lift the pot & feel the weight before & then after you water

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Just tested soil pH again today, looks like it might be up in the 7.8-8.0 range. Thinking I should try bring it down..
I have a bottle of phosphoric acid. What kind of pH water should I aim to use do you think?
I'd go 5.5, dump it in and keep going until runoff reads 6 or and EC at 0.4-0.6, then mix up your gogo juice and a tablespoon of Epsom salts in an 8l watering can and dump it through pH'd to 6, with plenty of runoff. Then wait for the pot to get very light before watering again. I wouldn't use much molasses either, infact I would only use it if making aerated teas, should be plenty of guano too in the soil, no need for any more at this point on just make teas from it. Just use your bottled nutes I reckon, maybe gogo juice once every few weeks, gnats are a sign of overwatering but not much of a concern until you've got plague proportions

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
Hey mate. I don't know a lot about genetics etc , and how 7E genetics produce theit strains, but anyway I'm a bit of a noob grower. but I did notice when growing their stuff it behave kinda like this for their backseat preacher and their Kraken. They seem to colour up aftywer a few weeks. Not sure if its what they've crossed with or what but that looks normal to what I've grown of theirs.
Yeah, looking through their strains online I was seeing lots of interesting colouration in flower, which is why I thought maybe genetics (inexperience playing into it too). Thanks for your input!

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
probably should stop the top dressings of DE , i don't think that's your problem but too much of anything is usually never a good thing , i understand your probably doing it because of the gnat issue

it does look like that strain changes color during flower

hold off on the PH'ing for the moment & do you have a pic of the whole plant
do you have access to fresh worm castings
are you using a peat based soil mix in that pot
do you ever lift the pot & feel the weight before & then after you water

Can definitely add more worm castings..

Its a soil mix with coco and worm casting approx 33% each.

I was lifting the pot but haven't lately because of adding a scrog net, maybe I should do it anyway..

Here's some whole plant pics for perspective:

front view for deficiency.jpg
top view for deficiency.jpg

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
the plant to my eye & my computer screen is looking a little yellow to light green
so imo this makes me think there is a water problem , either to much or not enough
both will cause a plant to go yellow / light green , both will also cause a change in PH
the flow on effect is nutrient lockout / deficiency

i don't use soil mixes with coco but with peat mixes that i use if you under water them the mix will shrink & pull in from the sides of the pot leaving a gap between the soil & the side of the pot , has that happened in that pot ?

the other thing that peat will do if under watered is , it'll go hydrophobic , anytime you water it'll run straight through the pot & out the bottom filling the drip tray very quickly , do you notice that , water runs through the pot very quickly ?

if you can feel the weight that would be handy info , if you can also stick your finger into the soil to feel how moist it is / how far down does your finger go before you feel moisture ?

top dressing fresh worm castings will help with your gnat problem , the organisms in the castings will attack the gnat larvae , if you have some straw or hay to cover the castings after you top dress them it'll protect the biology in the castings by helping to not dry them out

Top Bottom