Cuttings

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
What methods do you have the best luck with?

The methods I have tried before have mostly been under a humidity dome.
1st week closed vents, then gradually get them used to without over next week.
Cuttings were usually taken from lower branches, leaving one or two leaves on,
Sometimes I would scrape a little on bottom of stem after cutting, sometimes not,
And straight into glass of water till ready to go into dome.
Spraying inside of dome 3 times a day, and the leaves as long as dome is on.

This is what I have used in the past for mediums, straight perlite with being dipped in rooting hormone, straight perlite with dipped in honey, just potting mix, just water, and also tried a coco perlite mix with a rooting hormone.
I remember having better luck with the straight perlite and a little water in bottom of tray,
but I am looking for other possibly better alternatives, maybe a method that is easier to see the roots popping out for more visual clues than just the leaves alone as my previous method setups didn't allow me to see the roots until I transplanted, maybe I should have used a double tray with the water only in the bottom tray.

What methods do you like to use?
Oh, and also do you do anything different for a cutting from a already flipped plant, because I remember times in the past where I was like I should got a cutting off a plant but just plain forgot.

Oh one other quick one not related to cuttings, when do you like to do your first topping.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

benn0

Baked
User ID
I often cut clones straight into coco, for a few years I had misters in the garden under some shade cloth sort of house and set the misters for a few times a day and didnt need a humidity dome and they rooted really well. I often find the use of hormones to root sets back the saplings in growth as so much energy is exerted for so long on producing roots, if the sapling is strong enough/thick enough and the conditions of the media are humid/moist enough theyll root well.

I've also often taken cuttings from plants in flower but they need to be stripped of any flower and placed under 12+ hrs light (16-18 hrs ideally.) They take awhile to root and may need some close attention but they'll eventually start to grow normal serrated leaves instead of throwing weird angled sugar leaves.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
i never spray the cuttings only the dome if it needs it

i use rooting plugs like Rootit plugs , when i take the cuttings they sit in a glass of aloe water , if i've got my act together the glass of water will have aloe & kelp meal extract & i'll use the same solution to soak the plugs in as well

i don't use rooting gel or powder but i'll dip the cuttings in the freeze dried aloe powder b4 pushing them into the plug
don't put the cutting into the hole already in the plug , use a skewer to make a tighter hole & push the cutting into that so you have a nice snug fit around the stem

i use a heat mat in the colder months but i use an upside down tray on top of it as a way to trap the heat & buffer it from a tray & dome sitting on top , like this guy does

i top at the fifth node & again at the forth node & with a little low stress training that should give you a wine glass shaped plant

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
keep humidity high initially but not too long. as soon as any roots start to form I drop the humidity and force the clone to seek water from the roots and not the leaves. This drives energy into the root production.
thats the theory anyway :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom