Colloidal silver V's STS

Hudo

Baked
User ID
What's the difference in the two I've always used colloidal silver but been having a debate with a mate who's switched to STS he seems to think it's more effective and doesn't need to be applied as frequently ?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
What's the difference in the two I've always used colloidal silver but been having a debate with a mate who's switched to STS he seems to think it's more effective and doesn't need to be applied as frequently ?
As your mate said. Sts is more effective and requires less treatments. Both use silver as an antagonist. Sts requires a bit more preparation and you need to be more precise with your measurements to get good results vs colonial silver just needs high amounts of suspended silver and just blast it everywhere all the time.

Cost wise sts is cheaper by far. Even if your making your own colloidal silver

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Group of us are experimenting with STS at the moment across multiple strains. Different strains appear to have different tolerances. One size(i.e. strength and number of applications) does not fit all strains. STS is best fresh mixed from dry ingredients immediately before use. Use the Sigma Aldrich formula available online( multiply X 1.56 the sodium thiosulfate(partB) if using pentahydrate). 2 or 3 applications applied 5 days apart will reverse most plants however may need to work hard to extract pollen from some strains. So far, we've had results between 19 seeds to 1000 seeds produced per plant, depending on strains. Some girls will, some girls won't. Some girls need a lot of loving, and some girls don't. 😅

Secretchief

Vegetating
User ID
I have some silver nitrate, how are you sourcing your sodium thiosulfate? I don't see if it is pentahydrate or thiosulfate generally listed

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I have some silver nitrate, how are you sourcing your sodium thiosulfate? I don't see if it is pentahydrate or thiosulfate generally listed
eBay Aus. It's almost all pentahydrate in Aus. Unless otherwise specified, assume pentahydrate. High quality Silver nitrate is used in photography. I sourced my silver via a photography supplier in Aus

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Group of us are experimenting with STS at the moment across multiple strains. Different strains appear to have different tolerances. One size(i.e. strength and number of applications) does not fit all strains. STS is best fresh mixed from dry ingredients immediately before use. Use the Sigma Aldrich formula available online( multiply X 1.56 the sodium thiosulfate(partB) if using pentahydrate). 2 or 3 applications applied 5 days apart will reverse most plants however may need to work hard to extract pollen from some strains. So far, we've had results between 19 seeds to 1000 seeds produced per plant, depending on strains. Some girls will, some girls won't. Some girls need a lot of loving, and some girls don't. 😅

Hey fox , you Racey fan you :ROFLMAO:

i have no idea about feminizing seeds using STS but
is it possible the 19 to 1000 seeds from different plants is partly a timing thing ?

because if your just pollinating a plant to make seed , standard pollen chucking by putting a male in a room with a female
pollinating to early can result in not many seeds , pollinating to late can result in lots of green seeds

but the Goldie locks timing can produce 1000 to 5000 seeds depending on plant size of cause
the Goldie locks timing takes into account 2 things really , bud size at the time of pollination
& length of flower time of the cultivar your pollinating , keeping in mind in nature a male will produce pollen
quicker than a female will produce bud & once a female is pollinated she puts her efforts into making
seeds not necessarily bigger buds , so holding off pollination as long as poss with a constant eye on length
of flower time , maybe an 8 week flower cultivar might be pollinated day 21 to 25 lets say for max seed production

each female is going to be different & the health of both male & female comes into play as well imo
also helps to know your female well so you know exactly the flowering time which also means
consistent growing conditions = not over fertilizing , not over or under watering etc etc

now you might not be trying to be a commercial operation but if you were these sort of things will help
to maximize your production , starting with good habits to begin with can only be a good thing down the track

again i'm talking about using male & female plants to make seed not reversing a female for pollen which is
probably a different can o worms

ps
might need to make one of these at some point

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Nice separator. might be worth considering utilising a fan speed controller instead of the pressure release door setup that he's got itchy, if you get around to making one. I'd imagine you'd have more control over the air pressure that way.

Nice bit of kit nonetheless. (y)

Hudo

Baked
User ID
This is the shit my mate gets its shelf stable untill you mix it then it's in a spray bottle wrapped in foil in the fridge recons it lasts about 2 weeks after its mixed then starts to deteriorate search STS spray on ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-115545_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-115545_eBay.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 3

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
This is the shit my mate gets its shelf stable untill you mix it then it's in a spray bottle wrapped in foil in the fridge recons it lasts about 2 weeks after its mixed then starts to deteriorate search STS spray on ebay
Our group already has that 2 part spray, and will be testing it in next few weeks. However we don't know the concentration, so for comparison/consistency I've bought the dry ingredients, and from now, will be making my own concentrates ( part A + Part B). Few in the group are already using dry ingredients.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Hey fox , you Racey fan you :ROFLMAO:

i have no idea about feminizing seeds using STS but
is it possible the 19 to 1000 seeds from different plants is partly a timing thing ?

because if your just pollinating a plant to make seed , standard pollen chucking by putting a male in a room with a female
pollinating to early can result in not many seeds , pollinating to late can result in lots of green seeds

but the Goldie locks timing can produce 1000 to 5000 seeds depending on plant size of cause
the Goldie locks timing takes into account 2 things really , bud size at the time of pollination
& length of flower time of the cultivar your pollinating , keeping in mind in nature a male will produce pollen
quicker than a female will produce bud & once a female is pollinated she puts her efforts into making
seeds not necessarily bigger buds , so holding off pollination as long as poss with a constant eye on length
of flower time , maybe an 8 week flower cultivar might be pollinated day 21 to 25 lets say for max seed production

each female is going to be different & the health of both male & female comes into play as well imo
also helps to know your female well so you know exactly the flowering time which also means
consistent growing conditions = not over fertilizing , not over or under watering etc etc

now you might not be trying to be a commercial operation but if you were these sort of things will help
to maximize your production , starting with good habits to begin with can only be a good thing down the track

again i'm talking about using male & female plants to make seed not reversing a female for pollen which is
probably a different can o worms

ps
might need to make one of these at some point
Itchi - yes, timing is very important. Firstly, is the timing and frequency of initial STS application. General consensus is that around flip to 12/12 is best time for first spray. Some apply first spray 5 days before flip, others on night of flip. Strong online view( although not scientifically proven) that if you apply STS after balls have started to form, it can actually inhibit pollen production. Go figure !!! Secondly, optimal timing for pollination, ( receptor plant) is between 18-23 days after flip. I recently read a scientific paper that categorically states the earlier you can pollinate a plant, the more seeds will be produced. The later a plant is pollinated, the less seeds it will produce. However it can take 4 weeks+ for a reversed plant to produce initial pollen, therefore general consensus is to spray/flip the plant for reversal, about 10 days before flipping the receiving female plant. Different strains DO have different tolerances for reversal. Reversed plants typically produce a lot less pollen ( some don't produce any visible pollen) than a male plant. No surprise that number of female seeds produced, is significantly less than number of regular seeds. Maturity time of seeds on plants appears to be similar for both males and females ( i.e about 6+ weeks after pollination). Lastly, some girls say they will, and some girls lie 😅😅

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Nice separator. might be worth considering utilising a fan speed controller instead of the pressure release door setup that he's got itchy, if you get around to making one. I'd imagine you'd have more control over the air pressure that way.

Nice bit of kit nonetheless. (y)
a mate built one years ago but i never got to see it in action unfortunately
you can find dudes on youtube who have built a small version with a computer fan blowing rather than sucking
but yes a speed controller of some description would be better than covering an open hole more or less

Itchi - yes, timing is very important. Firstly, is the timing and frequency of initial STS application. General consensus is that around flip to 12/12 is best time for first spray. Some apply first spray 5 days before flip, others on night of flip. Strong online view( although not scientifically proven) that if you apply STS after balls have started to form, it can actually inhibit pollen production. Go figure !!! Secondly, optimal timing for pollination, ( receptor plant) is between 18-23 days after flip. I recently read a scientific paper that categorically states the earlier you can pollinate a plant, the more seeds will be produced. The later a plant is pollinated, the less seeds it will produce. However it can take 4 weeks+ for a reversed plant to produce initial pollen, therefore general consensus is to spray/flip the plant for reversal, about 10 days before flipping the receiving female plant. Different strains DO have different tolerances for reversal. Reversed plants typically produce a lot less pollen ( some don't produce any visible pollen) than a male plant. No surprise that number of female seeds produced, is significantly less than number of regular seeds. Maturity time of seeds on plants appears to be similar for both males and females ( i.e about 6+ weeks after pollination). Lastly, some girls say they will, and some girls lie 😅😅
" Some girls say they will, and some girls lie " not in my world mate , i was a charmer 🤣

that's interesting about the earlier you pollinate the more seed is produced , the guys i new that were into seed making years ago
seemed to think you can definitely pollinate to early
the 18 - 23 days sounds about where those guys were at , but did that timing take receptor flower time into account
if your pollinating a 12 week strain is days 18 - 23 still applicable
they were indoor guys so def not looking at producing seed that flowered any longer than 8-9 weeks even less if poss

either way good luck with your work mate hope u kick arse , The Old Fox Seed Bank has a bit of a ring to it (y)

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
a mate built one years ago but i never got to see it in action unfortunately
you can find dudes on youtube who have built a small version with a computer fan blowing rather than sucking
but yes a speed controller of some description would be better than covering an open hole more or less

" Some girls say they will, and some girls lie " not in my world mate , i was a charmer 🤣

that's interesting about the earlier you pollinate the more seed is produced , the guys i new that were into seed making years ago
seemed to think you can definitely pollinate to early
the 18 - 23 days sounds about where those guys were at , but did that timing take receptor flower time into account
if your pollinating a 12 week strain is days 18 - 23 still applicable
they were indoor guys so def not looking at producing seed that flowered any longer than 8-9 weeks even less if poss

either way good luck with your work mate hope u kick arse , The Old Fox Seed Bank has a bit of a ring to it (y)
Aside from scientific paper, on a podcast one breeder stated that it's fine to pollinate a cannabis plant even if you don't think it's quite ready to take pollen yet. Pollen will stick to whatever pistils are present. I'm using 63-70 day strains, so unsure how this translates to 12 week+ strains.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
You bastard! Cant get that song out of my head just heard the misses singing it too after hearing me.:ROFLMAO:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Home made dessicant. 4kgs of white rice in oven for 12 hours at 150c. Stored in sealed jars, used to dry unopened reversed FEM pods. Should take a week to remove all moisture from pods. Then grind the pods through a metal sieve and apply as desired. Will coincide with my next flowering round, which should be at 3 weeks when ground pollen ( if any) is dry. Looking to get 2 money shots, from current reversals. No point wasting female pods. IMG_20220526_165908808.jpg

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Some recipes us sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate some use sodium thiosulfate anhydrous. Both work but you need to use more pentahydrate by weight to achieve the same mol strength solution.

Pentahydrate - penta (five) hydrate (water) ie 5 water molecules.

Anhydrous - no water molecules

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Expensive way to buy it. Especially considering your paying postage on both glass and water.

Top Bottom