CO2 enrichment, closed room, costs to run the CO2 ?

Me2

Germinating
User ID
Hi all :)
I am considering upgrading to add CO2 and to make the grow room a closed room, but wondering the cost of running CO2 in the grow room. Anyone shed some light on this? I would ideally be looking at a completely closed room, except for cool tubes hooked up to dump the hot air from 2 x hps and 2 x 315's.
Currently a 4m x 1m x 2.5m high room.
Thoughts?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Secretchief

Vegetating
User ID
It's expensive.
Don't have a real answer but I have looked into it and from what I found, VPD needs to be pretty perfect so maybe are running AC and/or humidifier and over 1000par before your able to start benefiting from co2 at all.
From there you can get a 6kg bottle for $120, refills are about $50. That should do a cycle depending on your air exchange.
A good regulator and solenoid is about 200

Co2 negatively effects people over 2000 ppm and plants need 1500+ ppm to really get benefit so if it is inside you need a good controller to keep everything in check, you also don't use it at lights off.
Controllers are a few thousand. They can be built for under 500, if your good with that stuff

puggle6

Baked
User ID
If C02 was viable, commercial medical grows would be using it and I'm pretty sure they don't.

Reactions: pug

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Yeah might want to check your info on that

For decades, indoor grow rooms have used CO2 generators that burn fossil fuels to generate carbon dioxide. What these CO2 generators are used for primarily is to enhance CO2 levels in order to initiate plant growth and promote crop productivity.

Recent studies have even shown that CO2 concentrations at two, three, or four times the natural concentration will cause plants to grow at yields much faster and promote further productivity to the crop - sometimes up to 30% higher.

However in modern day, growers tend to lean away from using generators and look towards CO2 enrichment as an alternative. This is because burning fossil fuels is an incomplete process which can leave carbon residue in the plants as well as creating potentially harmful carbon monoxide levels. And, the low cost of CO2 makes it more economical and easier to control in facilities.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Ok Mick, but if the mega corporate grow company can leverage Co2 to max yields then they will when they build their purpose built facility.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
They don't need anything special , they do it in those tomato commercial hydroponics now

All they need is to be able to close of from sunlight when appropriate, don't need to have a closed room to add CO2

So what exactly is the purpose built facility do they need , a lot of the MC comes from Canada where they would be indoor grows anyway

They would already have extra oxygen, as they would need it CO2 would be a no brainer as would oxygen pumped into res on a regular basis

Oxygen would be brought in through the air conditioning system , with air being exchanged hourly

So yeah they do

puggle6

Baked
User ID
They don't need anything special , they do it in those tomato commercial hydroponics now

All they need is to be able to close of from sunlight when appropriate, don't need to have a closed room to add CO2

So what exactly is the purpose built facility do they need , a lot of the MC comes from Canada where they would be indoor grows anyway

They would already have extra oxygen, as they would need it CO2 would be a no brainer as would oxygen pumped into res on a regular basis

Oxygen would be brought in through the air conditioning system , with air being exchanged hourly

So yeah they do
OK but no. Pretty sure they don't roll like that.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
You didn't answer the question

You're pretty sure

Well how about you do your research and be sure , or does your overwhelming knowledge of all things cannabis you're just pretty sure they don't roll like that

Well you must know how they roll then so why don't you enlighten us with knowledge

Not much you don't know I'd expect

Just because you don't use it in your professional breeding setup doesn't mean those who make a successful living growing wouldn't, why would they want to up their yields in a shorter time frame that wouldn't make any sense would it

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Whatever , still haven't explained why they need a purpose built facility simply because they use CO2 ?

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Whatever , still haven't explained why they need a purpose built facility simply because they use CO2 ?
All medical grows are purpose built you idiot. If they were going to leverage Co2 you can bet it will be built for purpose as well.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
So I'm a idiot now , of course they are , when did I say they weren't

I asked what else would be needed in these already purpose built facility to he able to add CO2 ?

All I'm saying is that they are capable of adding CO2 already and some would already be using it

All that would be needed is bottle of CO2 with timed discharge all around the facility, being purpose built they would be introducing air and CO2

So instead of being a dickhead and you're feeling how about add something to conversation or shut the fuck up

Some actual facts , dickhead

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Well OH&S for a start, flooding a say 50,000sq foot warehouse with Co2 not going to be as easy as calling BOC for some bottled gas. Also need to up the temps to exploit Co2, then there is the rhizosphere being saturated which would be a real risk to such a large commercial investment.

These medical/commercial grows know how much money they are going to make before they even turn the lights on. My point being that if they were going to see a 30% jump in yield then yes they would 100% run Co2 but there is no way it would remotely resemble what we would use (run to waste)

I mentioned it to me seppo mate and he recons only boutique small warehouse runs use it, corporate farms do not.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Here's a simple conundrum that even home growers could easily fall foul of.

DWC aerating the tub but compressor is inside the tent/room for example, while saturating with Co2 you are going to adversely introduce Co2 into the root zone, so logic states you would run an outside feed.

I imagine most commercial indoor grows are some form of hydro be it coco or something more sophisticated. There is no way they will risk the integrity of the root zone.. Perhaps they might run a mezzanine above the pots to keep Co2 out of there, even if it were a temp in situ install when Co2 is an advantage.

Co2 is also highly corrosive when there is moisture present, so I imagine that would be a negative to reliability. +30% not going to come easily aye

Not to mention all the carbon credits they just wasted lol.

If they could reclaim the Co2 in something like a "lung" room with minimal losses then hey, maybe it could work commercially.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
For decades, indoor grow rooms have used CO2 generators that burn fossil fuels to generate carbon dioxide. What these CO2 generators are used for primarily is to enhance CO2 levels in order to initiate plant growth and promote crop productivity.

Recent studies have even shown that CO2 concentrations at two, three, or four times the natural concentration will cause plants to grow at yields much faster and promote further productivity to the crop - sometimes up to 30% higher.

However in modern day, growers tend to lean away from using generators and look towards CO2 enrichment as an alternative. This is because burning fossil fuels is an incomplete process which can leave carbon residue in the plants as well as creating potentially harmful carbon monoxide levels. And, the low cost of CO2 makes it more economical and easier to control in facilities.
Copy and paste much?

pug

Vegetating
User ID
did a bit of mucking around with this one a while ago too ... mainly for a small grow area. ended up buying a cheapo co2 meter and started testing a few different ways to generate co2 cheaply ... tried some yeast and sugar and one of those co2 bag things they sell on hydro sites. found the cheapest, easiest and safest way, was to use carbon dioxide from people breathing. in smallish rooms it doesn't take long to reach optimum levels.

ended up spending the money on quieter fans, a variac, a hush box and a well-insulated cupboard .... and got the co2 for free by putting the cupboard in my room.:)

puggle6

Baked
User ID
lol, pug.. was going to say doing star jumps in ya tent until you pass out is also effective to up the Co2 :p

Reactions: pug

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Come mate you can do better than that , here's another copy and paste for you

Current practices for the commercial cultivation of marijuana and industrial hemp uses Carbon dioxide (CO2) enrichment to increase plant growth and development either using cylinders of liquefied compressed gas or a CO2 generator. CO2 displaces oxygen and can cause an asphyxiation hazard.23 Mar 2017

So you going to argue with that

You're so sure of it , but you are wrong admit and move on

As stated before this has been common practice for many years

Level only needs to be raised to 1500ppm for it to be effective, which is not dangerous in any way to the root zone as you suggest

As a professional you should know this

Top Bottom