Clean your Dehumidifier

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Thought Id take my dehumidifier apart for cleaning. It's a Kmart Anko brand I've had for a while and noticed that my humidity had been higher and it would stay on longer.

So I've taken it apart for cleaning and it's not too bad but should work a bit better once put back together. Obviously you don't want to be touching much of the electrical side of things like capacitors which can be deadly so if you try to clean your dehuey, discharge the capacitors.

As you can see theres a bit of buildup in the aluminium fins (evaporator coil and condenser) which needs a bit of a clean but it's not too bad.
It's important to clean because mould and other nasties can start to grow inside. So I'm just going to wipe down and vacuum the fins with a brush.
IMG_20240423_084041~2.jpgIMG_20240423_083728.jpg
These Kmart units work well but need a bit of modifying to work with a controller / inkbird. So you need to bypass the switch. Basically cut the cables running to the switch and wire 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 together seperately then wrap with tape.IMG_20240423_083853.jpgIMG_20240423_083928.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Good write up. Any tips for cleaning the fins? I've got a different unit, but probably worth deep cleaning like this

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Good write up. Any tips for cleaning the fins? I've got a different unit, but probably worth deep cleaning like this

If the fins are caked in damp/wet dirt I'd spray them down with brake cleaner.
Depending on the thickness of the aluminium fins you could get away with a vacuum or air compressor if it's just dry dusty buildup, but be careful not to bend the fins too much.

If somehow you got the evaporator/condenser off you could even just do hot soapy water but Id rather not mess around with the pipes too much, if you break them then you have refrigerant spraying everywhere in your face so just be careful.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
All went well, bent a few fins but not a great deal.

Getting a 5-10% reduction in RH%. Some might think it's a waste of time but personally I think it's a huge difference as im in the last weeks of flower and have buds drying in the same room, plus it's running more efficiently now so that's a bonus

Top Bottom