"Bust Your Windows"

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Here's what i've come up with using 6" ~ 150mm Joiner, and bit of 150mm x 100m Colorbond downpipe. Preferably matching up with the colour of the sill as much as possible so it blends in.

Basically cut the downpipe to fit within the width of the of the window sill, and cap the ends. Down one end of the 150mm side, cut a hole out suitable for the ducting, and fit it (usually use rivets and silicon myself). Then on the opposite on the other end, drill at least 39 holes for it to vent out towards the window.

The reason why to drill at least 39 @ 25mm is so it matches the surface area of the 6" ducting. Surface area of 6" amounts 176.7cm2, and divide that by 4.91cm2 which amounts to a 25mm hole. You should derive a figure of 35.9 holes. So a minimum of 39 makes sure were over the line and not creating a restrictive piece. Now you don't have to drill the holes, it's just the way i go about something like this. You can cut out any shape you like, just as long as its better than that 176.7cm2

Also with this design. It's not totally sealed and all of the exhaust going outside. It's really passive. so it depends on how the air moves around within and outside of your unit. If you wanted to do a proper job of it, you'd have to board up the entire window.

The idea behind this design is so it sits within the window sill. Only problem with that, is the winding handle on the windows juts out a bit, and i'm guessing there'd only be about 65mm to the edge of the window sill, so you might have to retain it some how to stop it from falling out. Ya might get away with screwing a skyhook in either side of the window trim, and tie it into place with string or elastic cord.

But yeah, without overthinking it, i'd probably do something like that for myself in that situation. The bonus about your window facing the balcony, you can move something in front of the window to keep prying eyes out.

EDIT: just went over my sums again. And the 150x100mm downpipe is smaller than the 150mm ducting, so there is some restriction. the ducting works out at 176.7cm2, and the downpipe 150cm2, so theres a differents of 26.7cm2. But considering the nature of ducting ribs created with the internal wire of the ducting, and how it's lest than 6" it's possibly works out to being pretty close figures

vnt.jpg

Last edited:

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
Here's what i've come up with using 6" ~ 150mm Joiner, and bit of 150mm x 100m Colorbond downpipe. Preferably matching up with the colour of the sill as much as possible so it blends in.

Basically cut the downpipe to fit within the width of the of the window sill, and cap the ends. Down one end of the 150mm side, cut a hole out suitable for the ducting, and fit it (usually use rivets and silicon myself). Then on the opposite on the other end, drill at least 39 holes for it to vent out towards the window.

The reason why to drill at least 39 @ 25mm is so it matches the surface area of the 6" ducting. Surface area of 6" amounts 176.7cm2, and divide that by 4.91cm2 which amounts to a 25mm hole. You should derive a figure of 35.9 holes. So a minimum of 39 makes sure were over the line and not creating a restrictive piece. Now you don't have to drill the holes, it's just the way i go about something like this. You can cut out any shape you like, just as long as its better than that 176.7cm2

Also with this design. It's not totally sealed and all of the exhaust going outside. It's really passive. so it depends on how the air moves around within and outside of your unit. If you wanted to do a proper job of it, you'd have to board up the entire window.

The idea behind this design is so it sits within the window sill. Only problem with that, is the winding handle on the windows juts out a bit, and i'm guessing there'd only be about 65mm to the edge of the window sill, so you might have to retain it some how to stop it from falling out. Ya might get away with screwing a skyhook in either side of the window trim, and tie it into place with string or elastic cord.

But yeah, without overthinking it, i'd probably do something like that for myself in that situation. The bonus about your window facing the balcony, you can move something in front of the window to keep prying eyes out.

EDIT: just went over my sums again. And the 150x100mm downpipe is smaller than the 150mm ducting, so there is some restriction. the ducting works out at 176.7cm2, and the downpipe 150cm2, so theres a differents of 26.7cm2. But considering the nature of ducting ribs created with the internal wire of the ducting, and how it's lest than 6" it's possibly works out to being pretty close figures

View attachment 29344
Screenshot_20230106-134357_Gallery.jpg

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Indy's idea looks good. An alternative could be a product called Coolsox. It's like the air ducting we all use, but made from thin plastic. Like a rubbish bag. This plastic has lots of holes for air exhaust. You could easily fit to your current ducting and then out the window. This assumes you can hide a meter two with balcony stuff, otherwise it might look a bit weird.

Top Bottom