Bowl trimmer (manual)

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
I've used one. It's gotta be wet and straight off the plant. The minute those leaves start to wilt forgetabawwdit...... they work better on Indica hybrids and will do all but the crowns. Sativas (longer slender buds) not so much. If you have lbs to do then it makes quick work and does as good if not better job athstetically with some extra waste (sugar leaves, pointy bits and tric's)

Back when I used one took me 90 mins to smash out 24oz on a plant I timed. If I had a bigger grow I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Postman pat

Curing
User ID
My one came with serrated blades for dry trim, but fuck that dry bud would just get smashed by those things. Ive started doing all my lowers with it works fucking great, better than I'd do by hand. Always do me good shit by hand tho.

Hope it was cheap

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
imo one of the main probs with machine trimming is
as the buds roll round the machine most if not all external trichome heads are destroyed

which might not mean much cos dare be lots of em through out the bud but if you like to
open a jar & have a nose full of terpenes before selecting a bud to smoke , forget it , by losing
all the external heads the only way to get a good smell of terpenes after machine trimming is
to break the bud open , which you'll do anyway before smoking i guess but nothing beats opening
a jar & instantly filling your nose & the room with beautiful cannabis smells

we all want to get high but getting high with beautiful smells is so much more enjoyable

think about how much more enjoyable food is when you can smell it cooking before eating
bread baking , coffee brewing , BBQ cooking , on the other hand , stepping in cat shit , the smell of spew , going
to the loo after someone had a shit , terpenes are powerful organic compounds that can drive a
a full on human reaction

preserve the terps i say :)

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say that I think your possibly over exaggerating the effect on the turps/trichome loss.

There is of course one way to find out. Gazza when you get some suitable bud and a loupe maybe you could let us know what the score is in this regard.. The extra mile would be jarring both up desperately for a time also 😆

Last edited:

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say that I think your possibly over exaggerating the effect on the turps/trichome loss.

There is of course one way to find out. Gazza when you get some suitable bud and a loupe maybe you could let us know what the score is in this regard.. The extra mile would be jarring both up desperately for a time also 😆

have you done some machine trimming b4 rat ?

ive never machine trimmed myself but i know someone who brought one of those big full on electric jobies that had his buds ran
through the machine twice the buds looked like large - ish pebbles when done , def no smell in the jar when opened , it was different
once the buds were broken open to smoke though , lots of variables here of cause but his grower mates also used the machine &
had the same end result , i wouldn't call any of these guys great hydro/coco growers btw

you not interested in terps rat , not your thing mate ?

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
Read my post again and read the rest of this thread to see my previous post. I would have trimmed 20lb with it.. Why let your emotions get the better of you.

Last edited:

Postman pat

Curing
User ID
Found my one to be reasonably gentle, not using on the tops, but couldn't smell a difference between the popcorn and the top cut trimmed by hand. Was definitely worth it in my case because I just plan wouldn't have trimmed 90% of what went in there.

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
Why let your emotions get the better of you.
Like I just did.... 😆
Look turps are everything to me and in my experience the time at which you harvest given the climate variables is essential along with how it's cured.
Let's both just step back from our biases and let Gaz and anyone else here with a trimmer.... "calling you Postman Pat...." conger us up some fresh analysis on the differences. I never examined it as close as I should have and reckon this will be interesting.

Fred Bear

Germinating
User ID
Nothing beats a hand trim. Having said that I've owned a trimmer for about 2 years and there's no way in hell I would go back to hand trimming. I average 2.5-3P a grow and it used to take me about 3 days from start to clean up, now it's a couple of 4 hour sessions and jobs done. Avoid cheap knock offs, mine is a Spin-Pro with stainless steel top, clear plastic tops are MF to clean. Cost me about $380 but normally retail about 5-6ish, my hydo supply guy is my quality control tester. Spin Pro are Canadian made and spinning mechanism is Japanese built by Shimano (The fishing reel dudes). Only trim wet. I normally do 1 plant at a time. I divvy up the buds into small, medium and large. Try to trim roughly the same size buds per go. I only put about 1 and a half handfuls per go, slow and steady wins the race. I normally count about 1 second per turn for 20 turns then have a look. Can always add revolutions but can't take them back, well you can but you have to travel faster than light to go back in time and that comes with it's own set of problems. The blade spins 50 times to one turn of the handle so steady does it. And that's it. One tip I have is instead of using the bottom part of trimmer I line a 28L pot (Internal diameter aprox. 385mm) with a green garbage bag and place trimmer on top, fits perfect, trim goes in the bag, 1 less item to clean easy pizzie. To each his own but my fingers love me.

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
Nothing beats a hand trim. Having said that I've owned a trimmer for about 2 years and there's no way in hell I would go back to hand trimming. I average 2.5-3P a grow and it used to take me about 3 days from start to clean up, now it's a couple of 4 hour sessions and jobs done. Avoid cheap knock offs, mine is a Spin-Pro with stainless steel top, clear plastic tops are MF to clean. Cost me about $380 but normally retail about 5-6ish, my hydo supply guy is my quality control tester. Spin Pro are Canadian made and spinning mechanism is Japanese built by Shimano (The fishing reel dudes). Only trim wet. I normally do 1 plant at a time. I divvy up the buds into small, medium and large. Try to trim roughly the same size buds per go. I only put about 1 and a half handfuls per go, slow and steady wins the race. I normally count about 1 second per turn for 20 turns then have a look. Can always add revolutions but can't take them back, well you can but you have to travel faster than light to go back in time and that comes with it's own set of problems. The blade spins 50 times to one turn of the handle so steady does it. And that's it. One tip I have is instead of using the bottom part of trimmer I line a 28L pot (Internal diameter aprox. 385mm) with a green garbage bag and place trimmer on top, fits perfect, trim goes in the bag, 1 less item to clean easy pizzie. To each his own but my fingers love me.
Had the same brand. Then lent it to some feral and he chucked it out on me 😝. It would cool to see models compared. One annoyance I do have is the size and how much they stand out. Can imagine getting pulled up in the bush on way to geurrilla patch with it. " Yeah it's a farken big salad bowl cuz I like salad ya Muppet" and 2 hours later cops block off the road waiting for said "salad bowl meth cook" to emerge from the bushes. Anyway back to trim jail...

Last edited:

Fred Bear

Germinating
User ID
Had the same brand. Then lent it to some feral and he chucked it out on me 😝. It would cool to see models compared. One annoyance I do have is the size and how much they stand out. Can imagine getting pulled up in the bush on way to geurrilla patch with it. " Yeah it's a farken big salad bowl cuz I like salad ya Muppet" and 2 hours later cops block off the road waiting for said "salad bowl meth cook" to emerge from the bushes. Anyway back to trim jail...
Yeah it pretty much only has one use. Transporting consumables and equipment is one of the risk's in this game. Roadworthy car, stick to the speed limit and hope for the best, can only control so much and the rest is up to the Universe

Top Bottom