Auto discussion

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
We seem to skirt around the topic of Autos but I thought I’d throw it out there.
I’m slowly, maybe more rapidly starting to like them as a portion of one’s grow/garden.
I’ve had a few, and thought about them a bit. Initially they were freebies with purchases, then selected freebies to now considered purchases.
From an indoors perspective I’d imagine you can grow them with vegging photos, no? This would give a degree of flexibility, and better use scarce resources (space, tents and lights)? If I ever set up inside, it would mainly be for a mother or cuttings, so an auto would fit in?
Outdoors, I tend to think if you can nail a perfect transplant (if required) and give them a good sized pot with excellent growing medium, they’ll develop to their maximum potential. A perfect transplant to me is before root bound starts whilst still in excellent vigour, and excellent vigour resumes within 3-5 days after transplant.
One’s I’ve done in the past, have not got that get up and go, resulting in a small low yield female. This year I grew two 100g females in ~90 days, that finished in December. This appeals to me as you can plant in warm spring, and finish flowers in very hot spring, early December, which on the sub tropical east coast means usually dodging the incoming rain and humidity.
Anyway, I’ve probably got more thoughts, but see what everyone thinks.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I have plenty of auto seeds but have been too scared to grow anymore after growing a white label cheese a few years back. Got about 20cm tall and got 1 or 2 grams off it. Now I have a few photo grows under my belt and dialled in my setup/environment I'm confident I'll do better. I don't understand how some people think autos are beginner friendly 😆. I'd say if you had space in your veg tent then it would be a great idea to chuck some autos in too

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
If you look at my thread you'll see Autos and photos, growing and flowering in the same tent. Just winding up an auto crop and will flip the photos in about a week when the autos finish. Some autos will take a little longer and end up huge when looked after correctly, my photos are getting a little unwieldy as they wait for the autos to finish before flowering themselves.

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Yeah Med180, I’ve seen that, sort of the reason to try this thread. 👍
Know what you mean Goon Goat, had an AK47 auto, finished at about 15cm, tiny top cola, tiniest side branches, less than 2g. Nice smoke and I got some nice seeds from it 👌

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
I have plenty of auto seeds but have been too scared to grow anymore after growing a white label cheese a few years back. Got about 20cm tall and got 1 or 2 grams off it. Now I have a few photo grows under my belt and dialled in my setup/environment I'm confident I'll do better. I don't understand how some people think autos are beginner friendly 😆. I'd say if you had space in your veg tent then it would be a great idea to chuck some autos in too
I’d suggest autos are better for experienced growers. Once you’ve got some idea, it’s quite easy to set up and basically add water.
I was imagining 5 plants monthly over 4-5 months (20-25 plants), going on an average I quoted in the 1st post you could expect a good haul each year?🧐

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yeah Med180, I’ve seen that, sort of the reason to try this thread. 👍
Know what you mean Goon Goat, had an AK47 auto, finished at about 15cm, tiny top cola, tiniest side branches, less than 2g. Nice smoke and I got some nice seeds from it 👌
Auto is somewhat of a dirty word around here, I think a few people are a little butsore from a poor past experience 🤣 I had some really small diesel Ryder and lowryder 2 back when autos were new but my recent experience across 5 strains inside and some more outside has been overall good. 150 to 250g a plant

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Lately some of the WOS autos have me thinking, like the sativa NH, 400g per plant

and further, this early finishing indica boasts 1200g per plant

even half that is a good result, with what I’d be hoping, less effort and time.

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
Shit I love auto's!! Yes if I could have an indoor setup I'd more than likely run both photos and auto's but as I'm an outside grower with set limits?neighbours) I grow auto's mostly and yes they can be hit and miss so I tend to plant 3-4 every couple of months and I'm set..I do think they have their place and I totally understand why some people just don't like them..and as for them not standing up to photos in strength yeah nah don't believe that one..I've had med buds and my buds and yeah same same..oh yeah finding a good trippy sativa auto yeah I find that a bit hard..ok rant over..

Germinating
User ID
Maybe beginners luck but these banana kush autos should come through with a decent yield. These are at day 40 and look like another 3-4 weeks should finish them off
IMG_1684.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpeg
    IMG_1692.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 5

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
49 in QLD. ;)
Not sure in NSW, but I work on 45 😵‍💫
Nothing wrong with 50 Billygoat, it depends on 50 at once or spread out over 3-4 months. Trimming, space, curing are a pain when required all at once, spread out over months is better for my mental health 🥸

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Not sure in NSW, but I work on 45 😵‍💫
Nothing wrong with 50 Billygoat, it depends on 50 at once or spread out over 3-4 months. Trimming, space, curing are a pain when required all at once, spread out over months is better for my mental health 🥸
My original comment was in regard to QLD legislation. Whereas anything over 100 plants is regarded as a commercial operation/grow in the eyes of the establishment. So if you're under the aggregate weight of 500grams and/or 100 plants is should be seen as private/personal grow, and be charged as such. If you happen to get busted in QLD.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Only problem is they can ascertain ure little seedlings will turn into 6 ft beasts and add to your overall weight limit so best to be nice to the officers

Top Bottom