Australian Federal Police and FBI nab criminal underworld figures in worldwide sting using encrypted app

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
It sounds to me after reading various articles on this investigation that they may've offered him a deal or something to convince his friends to use the app, but it seems they may've hung him out to dry because his name and housing community he lives in is being published all over. He's a dead man.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
goes to figure he knows something that they don't want anybody else to know

The Australians did nothing , it was run by the FBI

A deal was struck with sco mo , now what did we get in return, false credit

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
There's something weird going on with this operation. I'm reading multiple sources, watching press conferences and I even had to take a second shower after watching the A Current Affair interview with the AFP Commissioner.

1. The ABC said in the description of the video that the police developed the app (FBI? AFP? Who knows yet). You've piqued my interest, tech is my game, tell me more please.

2. Then a journalist asks the Commissioner whether they developed the app and whether it was legal or ethical. Comish conveniently only answers the legality question but then when pushed said "The FBI had the lead on this and we provided a technical capability to decrypt those messages".

3. At the end of the press conference another journalist asked him again, did you create the app? His answer was "it's basically the evolution of Phantom Secure".

Phantom Secure quick explainer:
In March 2018 Phantom Secure's CEO Vincent Ramos was indicted by grand jury and along with colleagues would eventually plead guilty to a raft of charges related to drug trafficking.

Shortly after that, an unnamed "confidential human source" presented the FBI with a next-generation encrypted device - that would be dubbed ANOM - which was designed to replace discredited, defunct or infiltrated systems.

The same source agreed to disseminate the now FBI-compromised devices among a network of black market distributors who had sold Phantom Secure to carefully vetted or vouched-for individuals, usually members of organised criminal gangs.​

So basically some criminal with app development knowledge became an informant, and you didn't actually create this idea or app?
There's reputable reports that Hakan Ayik was the person that was disseminating those phones and I'll be honest with you, for a guy that big, he spends way more time in the gym than he does coding, if he does at all.
I speak from experience, we have a free gym downstairs and I'm not that as muscly as him (but I'm a lazy cunt who never uses it though, but we're getting off topic).

4. The Age newspaper printed an article and said that the FBI took over a newly created app. So they're probably referring to Phantom Secure (being only a few years old).

5. Then on A Current Affair the Comish said that the app was developed by the "some smart people at the AFP to enable that decryption", no other mention of anyone else.

So which is it?
You just confiscated and built on an existing app?
You developed your own app from scratch?
The FBI developed the app?
The informant developed it?
Hakan Ayik developed it?
Or, there's two apps, ANOM and a decryption app the AFP developed and they use them together.

Why the fuck am I getting different versions of the same story in 2 days, Mr Commissioner? And you're on video? No journalistic liberties, no bullshit, one take video, done. You said what you said, we can all see it.

It's all just a bit weird to me, why not just come out and be clear about who did what? I understand security risks, so just say "can't tell ya yet".

Anyway, something else to think about for the less cynical whenever they do these press conferences and go on about how they used this awesome new technology to bust criminals, just remember that as impressive as this setup was, there's technology they use that they won't tell anyone about for years. It's always a case of, if this is awesome and new then what aren't you telling us about?
(This isn't a conspiracy, they've got awesome shit just like the NSA does that I want to get my hands on so I can play around with it, it's been proven).

Lastly, I like when the police say (and I've heard this twice now in the last 2 weeks from them) "the criminals were using it to communicate in real-time".
It always makes me wish I had some sort of telephone type thing when I was a kid in 1986 so I could communicate with my friends in real-time.
Oh wait... 🤔

(sorry for the essay but this topic really intrigues me, I'm fascinated by the tech they used to do this)

Last edited:

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Good questions

Don't think we'll like the answer

Hey Anoma do you know why we couldn't access world news on the internet yesterday

No answers from anyone , but it was reported as a footnote on 9 news

What happened they don't want us to know about ?

The real question is will the arrests overseas stand up in court as the evidence was obtained using a Australian law , what they did is illegal in other countries, USA included

People have to realise what they can do now in Australia

I just heard a little about the lengths Victoria are taking to police their lock down laws , good luck anyone living there

They know what , when and where you are all the time , all police cars now have number plate recognition to enforce the 5 km from home rule

They got us right where they want us

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
Hey Anoma do you know why we couldn't access world news on the internet yesterday

Basically, a CDN called Firstly that clouds a crapload of very popular websites... they had an outage. That's why you had issues last night or the night before (I can't remember, the days blend together).

It's happened a number of times before with AWS which is one one of the reasons why I switched us over to GCP. Their outage rates seem to be lower. I don't want that issue.

The real question is will the arrests overseas stand up in court as the evidence was obtained using a Australian law , what they did is illegal in other countries, USA included
Yeah I don't know if I mentioned it before but it seems sort of convenient with our new(ish) freshly polished encryption & surveillance laws. It's definitely something to consider as we move forward. Slippery slope and all that.

These laws were only introduced around the same time as this operation was starting. Whether it has anything to do with why the legislation was introduced is up for debate and even then their true intentions would never be known as to why they wrote the legislation so it's basically a case of whatevs.

I don't usually get into politics which is why you won't see me in other threads but if it involves this type of thing then that's different.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Ahh the plot thickens, think u'll find the dude that came up with encryption code did so under pressure as he was already involved in heavy drug litigation and saw it as get out of jail free card
This is all well and good but they still needed a patsy 2 convince rest of crim underworld that the app was a viable and safe mode of communication with each other
Enter Hakin ayik
Supposedly as an incentive 4 a reduced sentence as he was already in shit 4 other illegal actives, all he had 2 do was convince boys 2 download this surveilence proof app so they could discuss ure everyday topics of hits and murder and occassional drug deal
Prob is now shit has hit fan, his alliance with cops is out......[dead man walking]
Of course all of this rant is pure heresay and bob cannot be held accountable 4 any of this bullshit

Anoma

Resident Celebrity
Community Member
User ID
Yeah, he had to take a jab at the other team didn't he. It could the the case that Labor have said "make some small adjustments to the bill and we'll agree". We don't know because all Scomo said was basically "Labor bad man".

Let's be honest Dutton has always exhibited authoritarian behaviour (which is probably why he became a cop), and maybe Labor are trying to tone it down a bit and the Liberals are the ones not budging on it.

That's what shits me about politicians and their "statements". Just tell me the facts, I don't care what you think about the other team.

Top Bottom