Are additives necessary?

ThaliaGreen

Vegetating
User ID
Hello again,

I was looking at the feeding chart that's on the website for the brand of nutrients I'm currently using, and apart from the base nutrients, they also recommend an additional six bottles of additives to go along with them.

I could probably afford to buy a nuclear powered submarine for the same price of all those additives, so I'm just wondering if people think they're necessary, or even useful, or if it's just the company trying to sell extra stuff for more dollars.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I think others on here have mentioned using them before. I haven’t so I can’t speck for the additives.

I bought the greenplanet kits that had A & B plus two extra products. Together with cal pro I used five bottles. But they produced solid buds so I was happy with that.

But now I’m using HPO products. Premixed living soils with amendments that you use either as foliar spray or root drench.

But you can do this hobby as simple or as complex as you like. A simple A&B product will grow fine plants.

I’ve come around to the idea of using these products to prevent issues before they arise more so than trying to fix them if they develop.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Don’t forget they will often steer you to the products that have the highest profit margin for the shop..

I have not heard bad reports of hy-gen nutes ..the only additive worth your while to get is their PK top up.

their Budlink will give you nice healthy looking leaves but not a necessary product to have

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Over the years I've tried many different brands and I find people will swear by the brand they had the most success with. Most of the time it's the brand they were using when they finally dialled in there grow techniques and from then on sticking to that particular brand and swearing by it. Like the other guys said Pk is about all you need but I'd just be running base nutes untill you get the hang of things. Base nutes have everything in them to get you there and untill your dialled in additives will prob hinder results untill your grow style is established.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Over the years I've tried many different brands and I find people will swear by the brand they had the most success with. Most of the time it's the brand they were using when they finally dialled in there grow techniques and from then on sticking to that particular brand and swearing by it. Like the other guys said Pk is about all you need but I'd just be running base nutes untill you get the hang of things. Base nutes have everything in them to get you there and untill your dialled in additives will prob hinder results untill your grow style is established.
to add to @Hudo
by not buying any addives you will also have a grow base , to then be able to evaluate any other additive for any benefit it offers , or Not ! , it's worth vs it's worthlessness in any branded product

Hudo

Baked
User ID
to add to @Hudo
by not buying any addives you will also have a grow base , to then be able to evaluate any other additive for any benefit it offers , or Not ! , it's worth vs it's worthlessness in any branded product
Good point you then have your control grow to make comparisons to good and bad when you start messing with additives

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
i been using hy-gen up until I got the cheaper powder shit Im now using.

First grow I had a few problems as I used all the additives from the starter pack. Unnecessary really.

They veg fine with std A&B.

I still use the Hy gen budlink (silica) from start to finish even with the different brand nutes Thickens up the branches I reckon. But is it an additive? I use it like a part C with Veg and flower nutes.

Some PK boost and Sea essentials from mid flower are the only 'additives' I'd use now.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I'm a RDWC grower, and i primarily just go base nutes and pk 13/14 when required during flowering. But i do keep some silica and cal/mag onboard these days.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I'm a RDWC grower, and i primarily just go base nutes and pk 13/14 when required during flowering. But i do keep some silica and cal/mag onboard these days.
I love RDWC but because I need to get babysitters often they always fuck it up lol base with PK 13 14 is all I use for RDWC

GlennT_59

Blooming
User ID
Oh wow, hit me right in the anxiety.

It's only at 75% and the driver is hot to the touch, I'm terrified of turning it up to 100.
😆 I'm in the same boat as you Thalia, I've got the same brand as you I bought in a kit.....I've got mine turned up to 80%, although I must admit it doesn't seem to get extremely hot. Plus its out in the garge in case it explodes :ROFLMAO: I did check over all the connections and wiring prior to using it after seeing Billy's warning the day after I bought it lol

Kerba

Germinating
User ID
Cannabis only need the 12 base nutrients, like all other plants.
90% of what's advertised in the cannabis industry is a hoax.

So any quality fertilizer with all 12 with the approximate ratio will suffice. Don't get too hung up on it.

Look into Peter's Excel nutrients, does all what is needed at ¢/litre in both veg and bloom formulations. One 15kg bag is at least 15k litres of nutrients.

As per Dr Bruce Bugbee who recommends Peters Excel or Jacks:

To your substrate if not rockwool, add 40g ft³ of dolomite lime for calcium & magnesium and 10g ft³ of gypsum for sulphur. Up to 50% vermiculite for silica and it's other good growth properties.

600ppm all day long and you've got a winner.

ThaliaGreen

Vegetating
User ID
😆 I'm in the same boat as you Thalia, I've got the same brand as you I bought in a kit.....I've got mine turned up to 80%, although I must admit it doesn't seem to get extremely hot. Plus its out in the garge in case it explodes :ROFLMAO: I did check over all the connections and wiring prior to using it after seeing Billy's warning the day after I bought it lol
Ah I got a kit too.

I don’t know how hot is normal. I can hold my hand on it without it hurting, but it’s still quite hot.

I checked the wiring too, but all I was able to determine was that yes, they are indeed wires.

Top Bottom