Apple trees from seed

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
I have managed to germinate some apple seeds that I'm hoping will grow into trees.
To get them to sprout I put the seeds on moist paper towel with a sprinkle of cinnamon which is said to prevent rotting
then into a zip lock bag and into the fridge for atleast 6 weeks or until a tap root sprouts.
These are about 3 weeks since sprouting.
001.JPG

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
not sure if your aware or not but my understanding of apples is , all sold apple trees are grafted , the reason for this is the seed you get from an apple you ate never tastes like the apple it came from , Apples do not reproduce true to type

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Apple trees also need a certain amount of chilling hours under 7 or 8 degrees each year to be able to set fruit. Different for each variety somewhere around 600 to 1000 hrs. So while the trees will grow, they will only fruit in the cooler regions. The grafting is also done so they start fruiting younger as a standard apple tree won't fruit for up to 10yrs..

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
they will be pollinated by my existing apple trees once they are old enough
Dunno about the 10 years all our trees down south are from seed and fruited around 4-5 years
first few fruitings yield is pretty shit but then it gets better.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I have managed to germinate some apple seeds that I'm hoping will grow into trees.
To get them to sprout I put the seeds on moist paper towel with a sprinkle of cinnamon which is said to prevent rotting
then into a zip lock bag and into the fridge for atleast 6 weeks or until a tap root sprouts.
These are about 3 weeks since sprouting.
View attachment 46609
I’ve been doing the same lol

Apples and plums from supermarket.

Some seeds in paper towel. Other in a maccas sundae container of soil that I placed in the fridge to stratify. Not expecting much.

Top Bottom