Aphid Mitigation Outdoors.

User ID
Although Aphids are relatively low risk but also really common, I noticed something interesting while smoking a joint among my plants.

I observed the aphids STRONGLY dislike smoke to the point some of them would just fly away and majority tried to relocate instantly. This probably isn't something new, But i feel like this would work with all types of smoke
Would building a smoker and doing it every now and then mitigate aphids without using pesticides ?
I would like to think smoking out your plants wouldn't hold any negative effects, But i could be wrong.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
Interesting mate, it's a bit of a catch 22, aphids probably don't like smoke and I'm pretty sure plants don't either. But to what point I don't know so you might be on to something. You could try burning different materials ie woods..

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Can Wildfires Impact Cannabis Quality and Test Results?

you can read this article , i haven't read it but i know lots of commercial growers failed testing in cali after bush fires , there is never just smoke there is almost always particulate contamination as well when burning stuff like wood , i would suggest not a good idea to smoke ya plants out

better idea is healthier plants , things like less over use of nitrogen because excess N in plants will attract aphid , plants do the best job at protecting themselves , plus that little bit of stress a plant will go through fighting it's own battle will add positively to the final product you harvest

if you've ever done any reading on adding chitin ( kite-tin ) via crustacean meal or insect frass the effect of the plant bolstering it's defenses against attack has the same positive effect on the product you harvest

User ID
Can Wildfires Impact Cannabis Quality and Test Results?

you can read this article , i haven't read it but i know lots of commercial growers failed testing in cali after bush fires , there is never just smoke there is almost always particulate contamination as well when burning stuff like wood , i would suggest not a good idea to smoke ya plants out

better idea is healthier plants , things like less over use of nitrogen because excess N in plants will attract aphid , plants do the best job at protecting themselves , plus that little bit of stress a plant will go through fighting it's own battle will add positively to the final product you harvest

if you've ever done any reading on adding chitin ( kite-tin ) via crustacean meal or insect frass the effect of the plant bolstering it's defenses against attack has the same positive effect on the product you harvest
This is the kind of information i was after, appreciate it !~

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
I watched a program last night that said aphids are attracted to plants with heaps of nitrogen in them and they also added that aphids are more attracted to the darker green plants so putting darker green plants in and around your other plants to hopefully con the aphids away from your good plants. Sacrificial lambs..

User ID
I watched a program last night that said aphids are attracted to plants with heaps of nitrogen in them and they also added that aphids are more attracted to the darker green plants so putting darker green plants in and around your other plants to hopefully con the aphids away from your good plants. Sacrificial lambs..
This is a brilliant idea, i have personally noticed they preffer greener plants with my own eyes!

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
one of the main things that will keep a plant healthy is plain water

by keeping soil moist at all times , that's moist not wet , the life in the soil stays active & protectent of it's food source , the plant

the plant will excrete exudates through roots to feed specific microbes the plant needs for specific nutrients

the plant can alter what it excretes to turn the currant microbe into food for the next microbe , by one microbe eating the other plant available nutrient become abundant for the plant to consume

all of this stops if the soil go's dry , it can definitely be turned back on but in between the stopping & the starting the plant is mostly unprotected to pest & pathogen

covering the soil as it would be in an old growth forest will help keep soil moist , as it does in the forest , you can use many items as mulch , in fact a diversity of items would be preferred to feed a diverse set of soil life

imo a living mulch with a diverse set of plants would be a better choice because all plants attract microbes to there roots , a diverse set of " companion " plants = a diverse set of microbes in the soil , plus all those exudates add to the moister in the soil , & like mulch all those plants cover the soil from the drying sun & from the compacting rain

there should be a lot of info you can find on trap or sacrificial plants , Nasturtium for aphid , Marigolds for thrips , Eggplant for spider mite etc etc etc

it becomes a management thing which trap plant will suit the cash crop , from a ground cover perspective or a shading perspective or any other criteria that might be important for the cash crop to thrive

mix trap plants , cover crops & cash crops & you have a diverse set of soil life

Top Bottom