Anyone do any bike touring?

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
N
2011 300 ecx on the right??
Used to have one myself!!
Euro bikes shit on the Japs in the bush!
Nah 2011 sxf 250 things off tap in the bush me young blokes 2010yz 125 on the left that thing goes pretty hard aswell👍 She hurts a bit more these days though ain’t Fkn rubber and 18 no more😂 the crashes take way more recovering from now but if ya ain’t falling off ya ain’t goin hard enoughBeen looking at a 350 pricey though 👍

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
N

Nah 2011 sxf 250 things off tap in the bush me young blokes 2010yz 125 on the left that thing goes pretty hard aswell👍 She hurts a bit more these days though ain’t Fkn rubber and 18 no more😂 the crashes take way more recovering from now but if ya ain’t falling off ya ain’t goin hard enoughBeen looking at a 350 pricey though 👍
Yeah used to have a 450 sxf 2015!!
Only ever went to the track but! Be a handful in the bush on single but would be epic on open trails!
300 2st the best enduro bikes!

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Yeah used to have a 450 sxf 2015!!
Only ever went to the track but! Be a handful in the bush on single but would be epic on open trails!
300 2st the best enduro bikes!
Yea I looked at an older I think 2004 yz450 before I bought me ktm went off it’s head in a straight way to many balls for the bush I don’t track ride anymore only trails she good fun though👍 Got me heart set on a 2023 ktm 350 exc-f best part of 15k but nice bike though

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
This does the job 😁 Old school Husaberg FE 550 (basically a KTM lol ) Carburetta job. Camping up Moonan Brook and riding up around Barrington Tops, even ran into a pack of wild horses 😆

View attachment 33553
Are you a Newcastle/Hunter Valley local? Or just enjoy Barrington....we used to camp/drink/smoke alongside Allyn river in summer ( long time ago).

GlennT_59

Blooming
User ID
Are you a Newcastle/Hunter Valley local? Or just enjoy Barrington....we used to camp/drink/smoke alongside Allyn river in summer ( long time ago).
Not quite, I'm on the Central Coast, spoilt for choices :D . Got Olney, Ourimbah, Wattagans State Forests to run amok in and Barrington is just an hour or so up the road (y) Know Allyn River well, thats near where we saw the pack of wild horses at White Rock Camp Ground.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Ended up getting the ebike working. Frame was found in the mud flats at Lota foreshore years ago, and the build has been long and tedious. Bizarre bottom bracket and rear axle spacing (90mm/155mm) so ended up having to face the BB back to 83mm and machine down the axle and brake mount of a fat bike wheel and re-dish the wheel to get it spaced. Everything was stripped thread wise over the whole frame so everything has been re-tapped to M5 or M6.

Loaded up with a bunch of compost for me mum and some shopping (around 23kg all up) as a test for loaded touring, I took off for a 20km trip and the battery hasn't dropped a bar yet. I should be good for 90-120km off a charge.
IMG_20230707_211912.jpg
Got a short trip camping out to mt glorious from Brisbane cbd planned for this week. Just wanna make sure it don't explode before I head out along the rail trail.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Went for a nice ride this morning. Pumped out 52km from Brisbane cbd, out to ferny grove and down to Samford village and back. Have just popped down to half battery and will go up a bar after a bit of rest and balancing. Looking good considering the assist was on 4-5 most of the way.
IMG20230710102607.jpg
Kinda surprised. Most people obviously don't pedal on their ebikqe. All the reviews for the battery were averaging 40-50km per charge, but it looks like I'll get over 100km and I thought I was taking way too much advntge of the throttle. To add to that I'm six foot four and 109kg with racks, tools and food on me bike totalling a 143kg load all up.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I would however like to look at a 48v or 52v battery as 34kph is nowhere near as fast as I expected, and I regularly hit a higher pace on the flat with me non assist gravel bike (which I was unaware of until I read the Speedo on the ebike).

With a 48v battery I should get 45kph top speed, but it might push the motor out of its efficiency curve at lower speeds, and I do have quite a few 20% inclines that already struggle at 10-12kph. The windings are heating up pretty quickly at thar point.

Its pretty obvious the geared motor becomes far more efficient over 15kph.l, but it's still far more spritely at lower speeds than my old direct drive kit.

In reality though, motor winding manipulation would be far more effective at gearing a motor for ones riding style, but I'm too lazy to rebuild wheels so I'll just stick with two batteries for the time being. 36v for hilly, stop starts and a 48v or 52v battery for flatter terrain.

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey Vin as an avid ebike owner myself and having owned 2 different ebike kits its highly dependant on the wattage of the rear motor, ive not owned a 1000w motor at 48v but my mate has and it rekon he could get up to 80km and in a police chase lol I owned a 36v 500w rear and it got to 36km pretty hasitly as well

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey Vin as an avid ebike owner myself and having owned 2 different ebike kits its highly dependant on the wattage of the rear motor, ive not owned a 1000w motor at 48v but my mate has and it rekon he could get up to 80km and in a police chase lol I owned a 36v 500w rear and it got to 36km pretty hasitly as well
The rear motor on this is pretty basic. An average 36v 500w motor from TDR with the KT controller current at 25a max, 12a continuous (I'll probably burn it out with a 48v battery though hence the initial 36v purchase)

The 15a controller hits the same top speed as the 25a controller, just in a more subdued manner so I'd definitely need a motor with a higher rating and different winding count.

When I've got a bit more cash up I'm eying off a decent geared hub motor for climbing and a direct drive for top speed haha. At my weight and loaded, I don't think the 500w cheapie from tdr will last too long. Me mates 1500w direct drive does 72kph with a 48v battery, but does not like to be bogged down on hills.

Keep in mind I'm very new to this so I could be speaking complete nonsense lol.

Top Bottom