Anyone do any bike touring?

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Looking to get back into off road cycling again after a bad bout of myocarditis last year which left me down cardiac output pretty bad and in an Inflammatory state of rheumatoid arthritis for close to 8 months. Just cutting down the methotrexate atm.

Picked up this random hybrid off kogan the other day for $90 a few weeks back and threw on some spare parts I had laying around to motivate myself to get back on the bike and do some travel.
IMG_20230228_142900.jpg
Anyone here do any bike packing? Looking to ride the BVRT (rail trail) from Ipswich to Yarraman in a few weeks and would like people's experiences when it comes to stealth camping experiences or the general mood/condition of the trail if you have done it before.

Be fucked if I consider camping to mean being bound to a single square allotment with a thousand drunk wankers around carrying on till 3am. I'd rather rough it out and get some peace.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
That fork is an absolute bitser. It's some random dnm osl fork that I built up out of parts. It had no spring and the damper was blown out.

Picked up a suntour raidon RL damper off eBay and threw it in, pulled the heavy spring out of an old XCR fork that was seized and filled the lowers with fox 10wt red instead of the standard grease. Seals needed foam rings but she performs damn well for a random conglomeration of parts. The only real issue was machining up a spring fixing rod with space for a negative spring below the main spring to stop topout and help initiate travel.

Pixie

Baked
User ID
Looking to get back into off road cycling again after a bad bout of myocarditis last year which left me down cardiac output pretty bad and in an Inflammatory state of rheumatoid arthritis for close to 8 months. Just cutting down the methotrexate atm.

Picked up this random hybrid off kogan the other day for $90 a few weeks back and threw on some spare parts I had laying around to motivate myself to get back on the bike and do some travel.
View attachment 31951
Anyone here do any bike packing? Looking to ride the BVRT (rail trail) from Ipswich to Yarraman in a few weeks and would like people's experiences when it comes to stealth camping experiences or the general mood/condition of the trail if you have done it before.

Be fucked if I consider camping to mean being bound to a single square allotment with a thousand drunk wankers around carrying on till 3am. I'd rather rough it out and get some peace.
Yeah mate I think I might have to pass on that. But I can look after your plants for you 🤣😵🤣

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I'll hold you to that. I'll swing you a tenner bruh lol.

I'm looking into an easy drip ring setup for the couple of days. Luckily ATM my plants are no bigger than 60-70cm so I can go a few days without water anyway. Should take two days each way to/from Yarraman.
Yeah mate I think I might have to pass on that. But I can look after your plants for you 🤣😵🤣

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I'm exhausted just looking at it :ROFLMAO:
Yea lol....I need something to prove I'm not dying anymore. This might do the trick. I've fell into the trap of "woe is me, I had another heart failure" and I've kinda lost the will to enjoy the simpler things in life.

What's it called? Mindfulness.. I don't get much of that 5 mins from the CBD.

If I can do this I have no excuse anymorw.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I'll just sit with the plants I think 😂. Make sure you have some beer in the fridge and something to roll 👍
I actually have a little 12v cooler which fits on the rear rack lol. I use a 12v 30ah battery to power it.

I can't camp without bacon, eggs and cold beer.

I use a 10L saddle bag to carry my tent, bedroll, pillow, cooking gear and chair. My 20L backpack holds all my clothes, fold up table and 1st aid. The little bag on the frame and another 5L frame bag holds tools, 1st aid and 55000mah worth of power banks alongside snacks.

I take a little cheap kingtons black widow herbal vape and usually end up the sharer at each campsite along the way which usually lifts sprits when tired and unable to sleep.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I believe @Mellow oldfark enjoys being run over ;)
Riding bikes on the road is for suicidal terrorists as far as I'm concerned.

Shit terrifies me. I remember driving back from kilkivan a few years ago on the wide bay highway towards gympie. Shit day, big storm and no visibility. Lo and behold some shirtless Gronk on a Kmart pushie appears out of nowhere doing 15kph with half a house strapped to the back.

I basically stick to state Forest, rail trails and forestry access roads (not always legal though) as I like the solitude and promised myself I would never become that shirtless Gronk with half a house strapped to me bike taking pride in becoming a statistic on an rural highway. I'm just that shirtless Gronk on a forestry road instead.

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Dude I was on a crossing from one bike path to the other .
Cleaned up by Older mazda van with young guy in it.
The he fucked off. Got launched from windscreen to side of road approx 6 ish Meters.
Landed on my back on a metre square sand patch surrounded by concrete and steel poles!
Luckily for this silly old fark only superficial cuts and scrapes.
Minor damage to bike.👃
Back in the saddle now.👍
I'd ride with you Vinny but I'm in WA. You could come over and do a stoner Munda bidi adventure🤪
No cars!IMG20230403100859.jpg

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Dude I was on a crossing from one bike path to the other .
Cleaned up by Older mazda van with young guy in it.
The he fucked off. Got launched from windscreen to side of road approx 6 ish Meters.
Landed on my back on a metre square sand patch surrounded by concrete and steel poles!
Luckily for this silly old fark only superficial cuts and scrapes.
Minor damage to bike.👃
Back in the saddle now.👍
I'd ride with you Vinny but I'm in WA. You could come over and do a stoner Munda bidi adventure🤪
No cars!View attachment 33538
Glad to hear you come out of it relatively well. The great gods of stone were looking over you that day.

I've been eyeing off the munda bidi for quite the while to be honest, ever since I read an article in AMB magazine almost a decade ago.

I am in grave need for more mindfulness, and touring seems to be the ticket for me so I might take you up on your offer once I get back into shape and get the heart back into a functional state.

Ever since I spent a few months basically bed bound due to lupus I have been incredibly reliant on instant gratification. Modern society has me so quick to lose focus and move on to the next pursuit of so called "gratification", and I ultimately miss the times I had while bike touring that gave me the opportunity to reflect on the small things often neglected. It's one of the only times I need nothing bar my immediate necessities and the promise of something else to see.

Top Bottom