Activated charcoal

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Maybe it is called biochar now, I wonder why some biochar is sold innoculated, and some isnt. I checked out easy as organics as mentioned above, and saw that they call one raw and one active for their biochar they sell. I was able to find one place that said it was 2 weeks to innoculate it with microbes if placed in compost, so far that's the only time frame I've found
I recon but don't quote me on it but activated carbon locks up poisons and contaminants so maybe it locks up the nutrients ? One of the soil pros will have the Answer @itchybro @Donothing-garden

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

benn0

Baked
User ID
I always assumed people add charcoal to their soil for it to break down and feed the microbes and plants

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Activated charcoal is used in filtration and odour control and medical industry's.
Bio char always been agriculture.đź‘Ťregular ash from woodfire kicks ass and you can pick it up free.
Used in my vegie gardens works well
Sounds like the the term biochar is used for any horticultural application of charcoal. I think I will pick easy as organics brain to find out how long recommended to innoculate the activated charcoal. It makes sense what was posted earlier that if you just put it in your soil, the microbes and nutrients will eventually fill it up, I was just thinking I wanted to use it initially as a boost to the soil food web, by innoculating it before putting it into my soil, as I believe initially some microbes and nutrients could be transferred from the soil into the activated biochar away initially from the plants resources if it wasn't innoculated beforehand.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Sounds like the the term biochar is used for any horticultural application of charcoal. I think I will pick easy as organics brain to find out how long recommended to innoculate the activated charcoal. It makes sense what was posted earlier that if you just put it in your soil, the microbes and nutrients will eventually fill it up, I was just thinking I wanted to use it initially as a boost to the soil food web, by innoculating it before putting it into my soil, as I believe initially some microbes and nutrients could be transferred from the soil into the activated biochar away initially from the plants resources if it wasn't innoculated beforehand.
The term biochar is used for organic material that has undergone pyrolysis and what is left must be 60% or more carbon with low ash content, as low as possible. The biochar we supply is from walnut shell and is consistently higher than 84% carbon, super high quality. The bigger the pile when activating, the hotter it gets. It's ready when cool again, similar to a fresh soil mix.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
I always assumed people add charcoal to their soil for it to break down and feed the microbes and plants
Biochar doesn't break down, it remains in the soil permanently as a source of carbon and a home for microbes. The high surface area allows storage and exchange of nutrient ions, and yeah, it's really effective at heavy metal remediation.

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
The term biochar is used for organic material that has undergone pyrolysis and what is left must be 60% or more carbon with low ash content, as low as possible. The biochar we supply is from walnut shell and is consistently higher than 84% carbon, super high quality. The bigger the pile when activating, the hotter it gets. It's ready when cool again, similar to a fresh soil mix.
How long does it typically take to innoculate biochar

Top Bottom