Activated charcoal

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
I have heard that you have to charge activated charcoal before you use. Is there a usual time that this will take. Where do you tend to buy it from?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Fatsacks

Germinating
User ID
Yo I've never heard about this before so I looked because i have some charcoal to activate, I have an old filter that seemed to stop working so well and if it can be reused thats dope.Anyway this is what I found ya lazy bastard on google and you couldve done that. Just buy a new filter man dont fuck around with that old shit its messy as fuck opening them up I did it before. If it is new it's ready to go, you don't have to do a thing. Activated is active and ready to suck up all the smell, you gotta remember though that it can become full so then you have to get a new one. don't bother trying to walter white it for reuse.
Unless though, because your post is vague, your building a wood smoking pit in your backyard and making up your batch of third world charcoal that you intend to crush into crush into a powder and then
  1. Begin by burning wood in a large metal pot.
  2. Let it cool.
  3. Wash the resultant charcoal.
  4. When the charcoal is dry, grind the charcoal into a fine powder.
  5. Add a combination of calcium chloride and water.
  6. Finally, cook the mixture.
That's gangsta as fuck homie, let me know how it turns out

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Sorry to leave ya in the lurch, I want to use it in my soil, I remember previously reading that you want to "charge" (there is probably a more accurate word for this) it before you add it, where you let it absorb nutrients and microbes while it's sitting in another microbe rich environment so it gets "charged" up (filled up with nutrients and microbes) there so when you add it to your soil mix it has all that surface area "full" and ready to be access once in your soil mix, instead of going "uncharged" into your soil mix and hiding/absorbing some of your soil mind's nutrients and microbes(taking away from what's available, instead of adding what's available in like little storage areas)

Now before posting I tried a few searches in Google and I was going in circles and still not finding about this aspect of using activated charcoal in gardening but I am sure I read it in multiple sources before. Maybe a different term is used to describe the process. Hopefully I explained what I am after better. When I look back at my post now, I can see how vague it sounded, as activated charcoal is used for a few things, sorry for any confusion.

as far as purchasing, I should have said does anyone know of where to buy it in quantities of more than less than a kg. I have seen up to 500g, but if theres a bulk purchase available it may be more economical.

Stackr

Baked
Community Member
User ID
You can get activated charcoal from home brew stores, it is use to filter the off flavours from home made vodka.
You can also get BioChar from Bunnings. Don't know if there is much difference, but BioChar has a few additives.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Sorry to leave ya in the lurch, I want to use it in my soil, I remember previously reading that you want to "charge" (there is probably a more accurate word for this) it before you add it, where you let it absorb nutrients and microbes while it's sitting in another microbe rich environment so it gets "charged" up (filled up with nutrients and microbes) there so when you add it to your soil mix it has all that surface area "full" and ready to be access once in your soil mix, instead of going "uncharged" into your soil mix and hiding/absorbing some of your soil mind's nutrients and microbes(taking away from what's available, instead of adding what's available in like little storage areas)

Now before posting I tried a few searches in Google and I was going in circles and still not finding about this aspect of using activated charcoal in gardening but I am sure I read it in multiple sources before. Maybe a different term is used to describe the process. Hopefully I explained what I am after better. When I look back at my post now, I can see how vague it sounded, as activated charcoal is used for a few things, sorry for any confusion.

as far as purchasing, I should have said does anyone know of where to buy it in quantities of more than less than a kg. I have seen up to 500g, but if theres a bulk purchase available it may be more economical.

This guy shows how to make and activate biochar,,
but you could start with bought charcole and activate it yourself.

I read years back that go go juice is a good addition for activation ,so you could add it as well as the stuff this guy adds.

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
I think instead of 'charge' the term I should be using inoculate the activated charcoal, the time frame it takes

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Inoculating the charcole is the same as activating it.
Oh is it referred to by that as well, I was under the assumption that activated meant charcoal heated up in the presence of a gas that causes many internal openings and likewise surface area inside the activated charcoal, and that inoculation with microbes was a different process all together

Hudo

Baked
User ID

So your talking about Bio char it's different to activated charcoal bunnings sells it so does easy as organics and a few other joints depends on what quality your after will be where you'd source it from

Stackr

Baked
Community Member
User ID
From my old sugar wash days, activated charcoal was called that because all the openings within the charcoal (like a sponge) had been created.
Even if you just put this in your soil, it will eventually become populated with the soil microbiology, rather than importing some that may be foreign.
Like a lot of things people talk about, the meaning of one word to some people, may have a different meaning to other people.

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Maybe it is called biochar now, I wonder why some biochar is sold innoculated, and some isnt. I checked out easy as organics as mentioned above, and saw that they call one raw and one active for their biochar they sell. I was able to find one place that said it was 2 weeks to innoculate it with microbes if placed in compost, so far that's the only time frame I've found

Top Bottom