Are additives necessary?

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Cannabis only need the 12 base nutrients, like all other plants.
90% of what's advertised in the cannabis industry is a hoax.

So any quality fertilizer with all 12 with the approximate ratio will suffice. Don't get too hung up on it.

Look into Peter's Excel nutrients, does all what is needed at ¢/litre in both veg and bloom formulations. One 15kg bag is at least 15k litres of nutrients.

As per Dr Bruce Bugbee who recommends Peters Excel or Jacks:

To your substrate if not rockwool, add 40g ft³ of dolomite lime for calcium & magnesium and 10g ft³ of gypsum for sulphur. Up to 50% vermiculite for silica and it's other good growth properties.

600ppm all day long and you've got a winner.
I've been eyeing off the Peter's excel for a while. Got some 13-5-20 coming in soon. Looks the goods.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Oh yeah this stuff is accent brand, cheap not sure how good. I get all my stuff from Aqua Gardening Qld nowadays.

Amazing prices once you've spent a bit there, and as a 'member' you move up through the pricing. The veg nutes are currently going for $66 for 5KG.

Flower a bit more at $99 for 5kg. Cheap 3-4 day postage to VIC, not worth my time going in store TBH. Got 120 litres of coco/perlite and heaps of other shit delivered to the doorstep for $13 the other day.

Just made another big order of shit I don't really need and its free postage over $250 spend. Bloody afterpay, bloody paypal pay in 4 and bloody Zip.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Ah I got a kit too.

I don’t know how hot is normal. I can hold my hand on it without it hurting, but it’s still quite hot.

I checked the wiring too, but all I was able to determine was that yes, they are indeed wires.
the driver would need to get beyond untouchable to catch fire like burn you hot. but wires shorting out is another story, when its been on for a while grab the connectors if they are hot you have issues.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Oh yeah this stuff is accent brand, cheap not sure how good. I get all my stuff from Aqua Gardening Qld nowadays.
Aqua gardening is close to me I go straight to the shop but it's online only so I go there walk up to the counter and you can't just say can I grab xxx you have to order it online on there pads then you send order and he looks at the screen goes out back grabs it and says here you go. It does my head in it's ok if I order it then go pick it up but if I'm driving past you can't just call in and say hey mate grab me xxx he points to the pad and I'm like you could go out back grab it and I'm gone before I even get logged into my account but appart from that there good

The Happy Camper

Germinating
User ID
Aqua gardening is close to me I go straight to the shop but it's online only so I go there walk up to the counter and you can't just say can I grab xxx you have to order it online on there pads then you send order and he looks at the screen goes out back grabs it and says here you go. It does my head in it's ok if I order it then go pick it up but if I'm driving past you can't just call in and say hey mate grab me xxx he points to the pad and I'm like you could go out back grab it and I'm gone before I even get logged into my account but appart from that there good
Used to be my local as well. It changed during covid and never went back. Wouldnt take cash. Not sure if its still the same.

i use Frans now. Not as big. No tracking though. :)
(my foil hat runs cooler) 😂

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Used to be my local as well. It changed during covid and never went back. Wouldnt take cash. Not sure if its still the same.

i use Frans now. Not as big. No tracking though. :)
(my foil hat runs cooler) 😂
Yeah still no cash hydromart is closer to me but half the range and more expensive haven't heard of Fran's I will google it

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Agreed, i rarely push a plant beyond a EC of 1.2

Can't say i've seen a plant benefit from pumping it much higher.
Just like tomatoes there really isn't a high end to what the plants can uptake as long as you are providing enough light and C02 alongside the increase in nutrients.

Hygen is a solid Australian brand, There two part grow and flowering base nutes will realistically be all you need.

I'd stick with there base nutes, and continue using the Pk top as it's all mineral. There organic additives are good but not needed.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Just like tomatoes there really isn't a high end to what the plants can uptake as long as you are providing enough light and C02 alongside the increase in nutrients.

Hygen is a solid Australian brand, There two part grow and flowering base nutes will realistically be all you need.

I'd stick with there base nutes, and continue using the Pk top as it's all mineral. There organic additives are good but not needed.

Ahh ok, just finishing up some Mills A+B at the moment. Which proved its worth last crop. Then i got to use up some Bio Diesel Green Diamond crap before it gets on in age..

But yeah. It's looking as if the Mills might be getting scarce these days. So i'll consider the Hygen stuff next time. Prefer to support local Aussie mobs. (y)

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
i've used mills before as well worked great. They have some decent organic additives.

Afaik mills did start as an Australian company, but since turned into a euro one.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID

They may be able to uptake it, but they don't benefit from it ( i.e. in terms of bigger or better yields). At least that's not my experience. With some added worm castings( a handful) in the medium, they seem to enjoy low- medium e.c. levels from 1.2 -1.6. I've pushed past 2.0 a few times, but haven't seen any gains on the strains I've run.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
They may be able to uptake it, but they don't benefit from it ( i.e. in terms of bigger or better yields). At least that's not my experience. With some added worm castings( a handful) in the medium, they seem to enjoy low- medium e.c. levels from 1.2 -1.6. I've pushed past 2.0 a few times, but haven't seen any gains on the strains I've run.
Interesting. Do you just add the castings once at the start? Or top dress when flowering?

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
May just be lack of another factor contributing to the issue in your case, light, temps, VPD etc.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Interesting. Do you just add the castings once at the start? Or top dress when flowering?
I don't add any to starting cup. I usually pot up twice. First to 4.5 l then again to7.5l( final pots) I add about a small handful per pot into the mix when up-potting both times. It does help with uptake of nutrients, and helps grow at lower e.c. levels. Without the castings I need to run higher e.c. level for most strains.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
I don't add any to starting cup. I usually pot up twice. First to 4.5 l then again to7.5l( final pots) I add about a small handful per pot into the mix when up-potting both times. It does help with uptake of nutrients, and helps grow at lower e.c. levels. Without the castings I need to run higher e.c. level for most strains.
are they brought castings Fox or home made , just curious

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
May just be lack of another factor contributing to the issue in your case, light, temps, VPD etc.
That's one possibility. Another possibility is that growers running at 2.0+ e.c. levels lack another contributing factor ( light, temps, VPD) in their environment 😉.

Top Bottom