WTF are these?

User ID
FUCK! I knew things were running too smooth.

I’ve been stripping a few leaves daily for light and ventilation. About halfway through flower. The plants are looking good so certainly didn’t expect to find spider mites. Again ffs.

Probably been on ‘em the whole time. Manageable numbers atm.

But, to compound the problem, there was also a few leaves with these little pricks all over the underside too. These things are double the size of the spider mites which seem to rule out a larvae stage of mites.
5F97D7A6-5BE0-45BC-9864-F9786803F98D.jpeg
Clearly visible to he naked eye. They look dead occasionally one will move a leg or something. Some are broken in half like they’ve been eaten.
92F95CD1-BD89-4FFC-9B2B-A597D2669BA2.jpeg
Above. The pointer on the left shows what the microscope shot below is focused on.
240D8F6B-946C-4692-9F0F-FB858B79A289.jpeg
Are they young aphids maybe? Fuck! Whatever they are, between them and the spider mites gunna be tough to see this one out. 😡

One thing that is surprising is all pest covered leaves are from the Big bud. Amnesia seems untouched.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
FUCK! I knew things were running too smooth.

I’ve been stripping a few leaves daily for light and ventilation. About halfway through flower. The plants are looking good so certainly didn’t expect to find spider mites. Again ffs.

Probably been on ‘em the whole time. Manageable numbers atm.

But, to compound the problem, there was also a few leaves with these little pricks all over the underside too. These things are double the size of the spider mites which seem to rule out a larvae stage of mites.
View attachment 22407
Clearly visible to he naked eye. They look dead occasionally one will move a leg or something. Some are broken in half like they’ve been eaten.
View attachment 22406
Above. The pointer on the left shows what the microscope shot below is focused on.
View attachment 22408
Are they young aphids maybe? Fuck! Whatever they are, between them and the spider mites gunna be tough to see this one out. 😡

One thing that is surprising is all pest covered leaves are from the Big bud. Amnesia seems untouched.
Think they are thrips. Aphids or thrips they wana suck ya plants dry.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
They look like aphids to me. How close to harvest are you? At least you can limit their spread by checking leaves and squashing the bastards. If you are more than 3 weeks away from harvest you can use any number of insecticides (unless you are an organic gardening type).

Last edited:
User ID
They look like aphids to me. How close to harvest are you? At least you can limit their spread by checking leaves and squashing the bastards. If you are more than 3 weeks away from harvest you can use any number of insecticides (unless you are an organic gardening type).
At least 4 weeks still but not real keen on any chemical at this stage. I had the spidermites last grow towards the end too but very low numbers, managed em. Yep they're aphids I since found some good info. Im keeping a close eye on em, there is no visible leaf damage from them or the spidermites yet, very early days.

Im contemplating trialling the ladybugs. $50 delivered for 30 adults, or heaps of eggs.??

Next grow I'll need to filter intake better.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Some probably think this theory is full of shit. But I've managed to keep pests at bay (inside) by having the air intakes to the grow space overhead, and well off the ground. With the reason being, it makes it so much harder for these type of pests to make it into the grow space, because they're usually low flyers where they barely get off the ground anymore than 3-4 foot. So having the air intake/s at least 6 foot above the ground just fucks it for them bigtime..

Having said that, murphy's law will say i'll get fucked over next grow, lol.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Some probably think this theory is full of shit. But I've managed to keep pests at bay (inside) by having the air intakes to the grow space overhead, and well off the ground. With the reason being, it makes it so much harder for these type of pests to make it into the grow space, because they're usually low flyers where they barely get off the ground anymore than 3-4 foot. So having the air intake/s at least 6 foot above the ground just fucks it for them bigtime..

Having said that, murphy's law will say i'll get fucked over next grow, lol.
Sure, an intake 6 feet high will deter lots of pests getting into grow area. But it will stuff up natural airflow. Colder air is supposed to come in via the bottom, and warm air exhausted out from the top. The openings( i.e. intake and exhaust) should be on opposite sides of grow area, so fresh air moves through the width and height of grow area. You could get away with it running air conditioning ( controlled vent ducted directly from a/c) through your grow box.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I hear ya, mate. But it's sorted with the use of ducting, and a decent extraction fan. I'll show you what I mean when my gear comes in

It goes without saying, an inadequate ventilation system just leads to all sorts of problems.

User ID
Yes, my 2 intake vents are about 500mm high and sadly only have 2 layers of heavy fibre flywire mesh and some chicken wire for rodents. Not sure if a nylon stocking would even filter out these little pricks. Probably just sucked straight in as extraction is pretty good.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Thing about ladybugs is you have to have enough aphids for them to eat. If you have to keep your plants healthy for four weeks then just cull them by running your fingers over them. They breed like hybrid rabbits so squashing a hundred avoids tens of thousands.

User ID
Thing about ladybugs is you have to have enough aphids for them to eat. If you have to keep your plants healthy for four weeks then just cull them by running your fingers over them. They breed like hybrid rabbits so squashing a hundred avoids tens of thousands.

I emailed the company early this morning with my problems hoping to hear back tomorrow with their advice.

I had the same concerns as to whether its worth it in my time frame. Their website is very informative. The fact theres spidermites aswell as the limited access for me to inspect the complete back 3/4 of the grow is tempting me to give it a try. Certainly wouldnt hurt anything other than the hip pocket and even then its only $50. 30 adults treat 20m2 I think Id read.

User ID
pyrethrum spray its organic and works for loads of bugs its made from the pyrethrum daisy grow them in your garden and make your own pest spray or just buy it
Not real keen on anything on my smoke unless it was all for qwiso... or maybe bubble hash.

Never say never though, if things get bad enough. I've already got enough smoke to last me for well over 12 months from my first batch. Got a plant outside almost ready too.

Also trying to cut back and cut out all combustion. Not very well mind you, but have "The pinky" kit and some glass coming this week, hoping that heavy hitter will satisfy as the portable dry herb vapes dont cut it for me. Convenient and great at work but a lot of work drawing and coughing for little effect.

durban kid

Blooming
User ID
i use pyrethrum on all my garden veggies and the other smokable kind as with any pest spray dont use it and then harvest the next day why would you i say about a week before harvest is good i am still here no problems shit i bet you all go to maccas or kfc or hungry jacks and eat that crap with more chemicals and garbage then a little bit of pyrethrum and dont even get me started on what is in hydro chemicals or any other processed food but each to there own i guess if you want to eat and smoke heavy metals and toxic chemicals that may cause all the health issues in the world today go ahead.
no i am not a vegan or a crazy enviro either but i am care full around processed foods i used to work in the food and beverage manufacturing industry to this day i dont eat any kind of pasta in packets like latina or ready to eat stuff meals in a box i know what is in it and what is not like real meat and fresh veggies, but that is getting off track pyrethrum is one of the safest and effective pest sprays to use when you have a problem sneak up i ,like the yellow sticky cards and companion planting, lady bugs and the like are good but a lot of time and money would seem to be spent when a trip to bunnings would do the trick whit instant results as well K.I.S.S

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Not real keen on anything on my smoke unless it was all for qwiso... or maybe bubble hash.

Never say never though, if things get bad enough. I've already got enough smoke to last me for well over 12 months from my first batch. Got a plant outside almost ready too.

Also trying to cut back and cut out all combustion. Not very well mind you, but have "The pinky" kit and some glass coming this week, hoping that heavy hitter will satisfy as the portable dry herb vapes dont cut it for me. Convenient and great at work but a lot of work drawing and coughing for little effect.
What's "the pinky kit" TFS?

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Use them to vape either flower/rosin/oil wax from a quartz banger/bowl through a bong rather than burn/combust through a std bong. These set ups are meant to hit like a bong yet with that sweet vape taste. Bit better for the lungs I hope.
Okay, hope it works good. I went for oil because my lungs couldn't take smoke anymore. The oil tastes crap and takes a while to kick in but I'm taking it for sleep/pain at night so it works well for me.

Top Bottom