Which pump for reticulated perlite?

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
Need advise on what sized pump to get for reticulated perlite. Require a good flow and coverage as the pots will be 4-5 x 300 liters each with custom feeder rings. Res will sit around 1-2 meters below pots.

Long time since I've used a pump so buggered if I know what kind of flow and max head I should aim for. Another thing is that I'd like be able to run the pump constantly for Abracadabra powered stupid growth that I envisage in my "it's not quite dwc but still...." delusions.

Below I'm looking at the 4900 model as a minimum and wondering if it will be enough etc etc..

Ta.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I Remember hearing years back that the grit in perlite can wear out the pump,,,not done it myself but having a spare pump would be a bit of insurance for you.

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Doubt you will need to run the pump constantly, but keen to see if you do!
I have 2 girls in 15 litre pots that are at around 2 and a half weeks into flower and they only get 2 mins a day of feeding (6 bursts of 20 seconds). By the time they are in full bloom, i will probably up it to 3 mins

Madmick

Baked
User ID
So if you fill those pots with perlite at $50 for a 100l your medium alone will cost min $750

You would have to make 2000l of water and 2litres of nutrients a go, probably $100 bucks a feed

Now you sure you're not talking about 300mm pots ?

The maths just don't add up unless you trying to have a 50lb grow

RiverRat

Blooming
User ID
300 ltr pots? Going big RR! 🌳

So if you fill those pots with perlite at $50 for a 100l your medium alone will cost min $750

You would have to make 2000l of water and 2litres of nutrients a go, probably $100 bucks a feed

Now you sure you're not talking about 300mm pots ?

The maths just don't add up unless you trying to have a 50lb grow

Perlite is cheap here. The bag sizes were chosen because of the close fit to the trays i already had for th benefit of keeping the rain out of the system. The aim is for width not height as veg lights wont get over 1.5-2 meters. Is what it is and ill be happy with whatever comes. 1lb a plant would be sweet though....

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
To clarify, are you really growing in 300 litre pots indoors?? Imho that would be a massive waste of medium and nutrients. Can yield nearly a pound in a 50 litre pot if you veg long enough and train the plant. In a perlite only medium you might be able to pull even more from a 50 litre pot.

smileysmoke

Blooming
User ID
i have easily grown a 1lb plant in <50L pot (organics / soil)
300L is a tad over kill. the plant will put a lot of energy into its root system given the chance. restrict that and it will balance out. would be epic for an untrained monster outdoors though! (perlite would mould up in sunlight so quickly though)

Madmick

Baked
User ID
You'll need a small pool pump , 1200 watts to move enough water

Lets see these 300litre tubs ?

Regardless of how you do I n it , 1500 litres of medium is going to need 2000 or 3000 litres of water each day

U really don't think you are that silly

Can get 2lbs from 50 litre pot with enough veg time

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
To clarify, are you really growing in 300 litre pots indoors?? Imho that would be a massive waste of medium and nutrients. Can yield nearly a pound in a 50 litre pot if you veg long enough and train the plant. In a perlite only medium you might be able to pull even more from a 50 litre pot.
I'll take a guess at saying it's outdoor.. only cos he mentioned keeping the rain out of the system 😜

Top Bottom