VPN Should I be using one🧐

Old Ant

Vegetating
User ID
Hello fellow ladies and gentlemen, a quick question if I may, is it wiser to utilise the services of a VPN before posting lovely pics of our little green friend on this website? I would especially love to hear from the esteemed long term regulars here on whether they do if that is not too rude to ask yet🤔

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
My computer I ( think ) I am on vpn. But I’m usually looking on my phone and that I have no idea.
I’m really only stopping by to read the answers myself ;!

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I like to use one, for ~$60/year it's worth it for the piece of mind. Plus it allows me to use foreign content sites as a bonus :).

If you're looking for a free one then I'd recommend ProtonVPN as they have a strict no-logs policy (y)

ThaliaGreen

Vegetating
User ID

ThaliaGreen

Vegetating
User ID
Thanks for that @ThaliaGreen, I hadn't heard about that. Glad I spent the money and went with Nord (y) ...though I do use ProtonMail for some things which makes me a little concerned :confused:.
I've seen this in regards to NordVPN.

But I've also seen them pass multiple audits saying they keep no logs. I'm not smart or technical enough to know what to think about them.

I'm not sure how concerned you need to be. I think they only had to comply because of something to do with Swedish law, and we're not in Sweden. But again, I'm a dummy so no idea.

Edit:
I did a quick search and found a VPN comparison

Nord was rated highest so seems ok.

Old Ant

Vegetating
User ID
A huge thank you for all your replies☺️, my greatest concern was actually my service provider / network not this forum per se but I see now that piece of mind is worth the asking price🤗.
As such I decided to go with Express VPN, they dont use hard drives apparently only ram, or record any logs and have a good reputation as well👍🏼🧐 Now with all your wonderful insight and recommendations, hot diggity dog its time to start my grow diary🥳🫣👏

R3za92

Baked
User ID
It’s also worth noting that Australia has data retention laws

So your isp has to maintain metadata for two years. A VPN would help avoid this too, if it’s something you’re concerned with.
VPN isn’t stopping the government. They’re requiring telcos to do deep packet analysis’s so they are sniffing all data that passes through every Australian telcos network even if your using a vpn.

Can also bet due to 5eyes that nsa would have access.

ThaliaGreen

Vegetating
User ID
VPN isn’t stopping the government. They’re requiring telcos to do deep packet analysis’s so they are sniffing all data that passes through every Australian telcos network even if your using a vpn.

Can also bet due to 5eyes that nsa would have access.
I don’t know anything about that. I was just looking at the metadata that that particular law requires them to keep.

I’ve never heard of DPI, but a quick Google seems to suggest a vpn can still be useful.

With a VPN, they will still see 100% of the data. However, other than the connection to the VPN provider, they'll only see encrypted data. They will know that you downloaded 800GB from VPNco.com, but will know nothing of the data inside. Even things that are not encrypted via protocol will get encrypted since a lower level is encrypting. Now, the VPNco.com will then see your data.

I’m not a computer person though, so I don’t know.

Top Bottom