Venturi Fertigation

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Has anyone successfully made a venturi fertigation system with drippers?
I got a 3/4" venturi and set it up for my fruit trees (adding granular fertiliser and watering it in with drippers is a PITA). Was only after that I found out that back pressure (like that from drippers or even sprinklers) nulls the effect, so instead of sucking, the water goes out of the unit.
I've heard that I maybe should have gotten the 1/2" version, for it to work better.

I CAN get it to work with the flow turned right down, but the bottle of fertiliser has to be raised about 1.5m, which is fine as it works, just annoying getting the ladder out. I'll build a dedicated stand if I can't get it to work ground level. Don't really want to buy another unit and it not work anyway.
Tried adding a backflow preventer on the outflow, but that doesn't help :(.

Attachments

• 20230106_120947.jpg
    20230106_120947.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230106_111822.jpg
    20230106_111822.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
  • VID-1673148253813.mp4
    97.5 MB

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Madmick

Baked
User ID
I don't know if it will help but on my misting kit out the back , after it gives a 30 sec mist , the timer cuts of the water supply

Rather than it just draining the rest of the water in system out of misters it has a relief value that opens when the water goes the other way and releases excess onto a few plants ,

That way there's no pressure in the pipes it stops at the timer until it re opens

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I don't know if it will help but on my misting kit out the back , after it gives a 30 sec mist , the timer cuts of the water supply

Rather than it just draining the rest of the water in system out of misters it has a relief value that opens when the water goes the other way and releases excess onto a few plants ,

That way there's no pressure in the pipes it stops at the timer until it re opens
Kind of applicable, if I don't block the end of the drippers it pulls the fertiliser at full flow, as there's no back pressure.
I wonder of some kind of release valve at the end would help, so it's not just open but it can vent, along with the back flow preventer

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
This is why I like passive watering like sips. Simply fill and forget
Is this them?
That'd be OK for small veggies, but the trees I'd like to fertiliser along the root spread (albeit the drippers just run both sides of the trees, so about 1/2 the roots by the time the warer spreads underground.

My technique ATM is to add the fert at low flow and when it's drained, turn off the venturi and turn up flow to water it in and run as normal.
Only about 5 minutes of actual work, just the effort of getting the ladders out.

I'm planning on extending the drippers out the front to the roses running off the same line, so I should be able to reduce back pressure there with 40m of poly and another 12m of drippers, but that's down the track with life.

Attachments

• 5-Gallon-SIP-Self-Watering-Garden-Buckets.jpg
    5-Gallon-SIP-Self-Watering-Garden-Buckets.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 15

The Happy Camper

Germinating
User ID
Could it be that the venturi needs more pressure so as not to need the ladder?

The start of your video shows you turning on the splitter at your mains tap a tiny bit. What happens whith the splitter fully open?
Might need a regulator somewhere in there.

I like little projects like this.
Gets you outside, doing and learning.

More questions than answers. Haha.

Good stuff.

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Could it be that the venturi needs more pressure so as not to need the ladder?

The start of your video shows you turning on the splitter at your mains tap a tiny bit. What happens whith the splitter fully open?
Might need a regulator somewhere in there.

I like little projects like this.
Gets you outside, doing and learning.

More questions than answers. Haha.

Good stuff.
Nah, when there's more pressure it pushes water out the venturi regardless of the height.
There's a 100kpa pressure reducer at the tap, my mains is 550kpa. So even though it's reducing the pressure, the flow is is high, so theres more back pressure when it cant get out of the dripper, hence just opening the tap slightly so the flow is low aswell (I think, not 100% on the theory of it)

Aye, I like building stuff and figuring out how to do it, especially on the cheap. Pisses my wife off when I get deep into researching something and can spend weeks just reading up on stuff though lol

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Nice mate.

I’m using 40L greensmart planters

I’m in a rental though so I’m hesitant to put down large garden beds. I have one now but it will be a pain if we move. Not that we have to move but if.
Also want to make an Ibc wicking bed.

If I had my own place i would certainly set up something bigger and more permanent

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
So behind this (see photo) , there is supposed to be a spring ball gasket, the one I set up didn't have it. Only found out coz I decided to buy a 1/2" instead of a 3/4" to test out if the sizes made a difference (I doubt it will as the bore is the same size :/ ). But when I opened it I noticed a little ball behind the rubber washer. Looked at the one I had set up, not there. So put it in and it worked a treat, with the Venturi and bucket on the ground, not raised 1.5m!
Used my second pressure reducer (as the micros on the same line didn't work with the first one) and when the Venturi isn't in operation the micro sprays still work (which isn't an issue as I don't mind doing the shade/hanging basket with liquid by watering can, and I can just put pelletised in the pots and the most will get it down).
There's a video of it working but too large to upload :(

Chuffed
20231003_191949.jpg

Top Bottom