Vaping for Dummies

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Hola, just started back after many years not smoking. Got a nice little ceramic bong for Christmas and we've had an abundant, glorious eight weeks together.

The downside of course, is the effect on my lungs. I can feel the tightening and have invested in a little cheap vape with good reviews ( xmax starry 3.0 ). I tried it at the default heat and wasn't overly keen. The pine oil flavour, the lack of sucking in and feeling the hit, blah, blah. The common vape type issues. Chucked it into a drawer but yesterday I ran out of lighters so did a few tutorials, messed around with temps and I can now see some positives for vaping (ability to control my "high" and do lower temps for day time smoking and functioning, stealth, lungs, etc).

I'm sorry if the reads like a dreaded reddit thread but I'm old and technologically challenged. I also noticed that there are a few of us old school types coming back to smoking that might find vaping for beginner info useful. So getting to the point, does anyone have any tips for making vaping more pleasurable (without spending 500 bucks for a high end vape).

Thanks!!!

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

ShellzShuff3

Vegetating
User ID
No worries, are you grinding the herb? If not, I'd recommend getting a cheap grinder.

I don't have that exact vape, but could try:
- get a bong adapter and run through water.
- turn up the temperature a bit (unless it's too harsh for your throat). I always vape right up to the edge of combustion. Will get a fuller/more body high
- give it a little pre heat soak before hitting. E.g. if it's at temp, let it sit 30 seconds then pull, then leave it 30 seconds to get back to heat
- alter breathing - slower or faster, longer or shorter with gaps in between. Some vapes change a lot due to heat tech etc.

If you wanted to try something else, you can consider a dynavap BB6 kit for less than $100 - can be used alone or connect to 14mm/18mm bongs. Or get a dynavap M and $6 adapter for bong. I recommend these to my mates because even if you spend more to get a better vape later, the dynavap is still cool and useful whereas cheaper portable/desktop are replaced. Use butane lighter or you can get an induction heater.

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Find sweetspot for gear your vaping depending on its dryness,not too hot or you might as well smoke it!
Also you can tend to hold vaper in lungs longer with right temps.
Should be able to pick up decent vape for around the $200 + mark.
If your long time smoker id suggest to try a tolerence break between transition from bong, joint smoking.
Once your smoke tolerence is gone vape will get you stoned as a mexican crow!....or afghani.👳‍♂️plus lungs love you long time..

R3za92

Baked
User ID
No worries, are you grinding the herb? If not, I'd recommend getting a cheap grinder.

I don't have that exact vape, but could try:
- get a bong adapter and run through water.
- turn up the temperature a bit (unless it's too harsh for your throat). I always vape right up to the edge of combustion. Will get a fuller/more body high
- give it a little pre heat soak before hitting. E.g. if it's at temp, let it sit 30 seconds then pull, then leave it 30 seconds to get back to heat
- alter breathing - slower or faster, longer or shorter with gaps in between. Some vapes change a lot due to heat tech etc.

If you wanted to try something else, you can consider a dynavap BB6 kit for less than $100 - can be used alone or connect to 14mm/18mm bongs. Or get a dynavap M and $6 adapter for bong. I recommend these to my mates because even if you spend more to get a better vape later, the dynavap is still cool and useful whereas cheaper portable/desktop are replaced. Use butane lighter or you can get an induction heater.
Dyna’s quality has slipped lately. They’re sending out pieces with machine oil and swarf in them so just be careful and was them out before use. A popular alternate to the dyna is a dani from battery free ganz. It’s got a larger bowl than the dyna and built in copper free thermal battery/fmj (cause all the cunts in the dyna thread are whining about copper fumes)

Pikey

Baked
User ID
DynaVaps are just overrated fanboy shit! Yes, I own one, yes it was a complete waste of money.

...that's what I get for listening to seppos on reddit, only myself to blame :ROFLMAO:

EDIT : On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy a barley used DynaVap? It comes with an instant induction into the "DynaVerse" where you can sit in a circle jerk with a bunch of other neck beard virgins and rub it on your genitals whilst praising the mighty DynaVap and poo pooing other clearly superior vapes 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:

Last edited:

R3za92

Baked
User ID
DynaVaps are just overrated fanboy shit! Yes, I own one, yes it was a complete waste of money.

...that's what I get for listening to seppos on reddit, only myself to blame :ROFLMAO:
I’ve got one as well. Stock it’s shot having to rotate it. I got an fmj for it (game changer imo so you can one hit it and no rotating) and it now use my dyna pretty much exclusively instead of bongs for the last 6 months.

I wouldn’t call it the greatest but.

Pikey

Baked
User ID
That's the problem... it's a flawed design that requires costly add-ons to make it work as it should. Also fuck Simrell and their patent garbage.

Each to their own though 🤷‍♂️

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID

EDIT : On an unrelated note, anyone want to buy a barley used DynaVap? It comes with an instant induction into the "DynaVerse" where you can sit in a circle jerk with a bunch of other neck beard virgins and rub it on your genitals whilst praising the mighty DynaVap and poo pooing other clearly superior vapes 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:
Yeah I would agree the 2 I have used were garbage!
Very good at marketing though!!

ShellzShuff3

Vegetating
User ID
That's the problem... it's a flawed design that requires costly add-ons to make it work as it should. Also fuck Simrell and their patent garbage.

Each to their own though 🤷‍♂️
Interesting to hear that. I've got a few mates who try mine and buy them!

I think people have vapes that work for them so I never mind people having different opinions. The marketing around creating the community with dynaverse etc. was clever but obviously most >30yo adults think it's a bit of a wank haha.

Last edited:

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Haha no I didn't bother looking. Is it $40 USD?

I mean I guess it's a cap with a $17 fmj built in, so basically that combined price? Not sure, are you thinking it's high?
Yeah $40usd + postage (which last I looked was another $20+usd) vs $25usd for a standard cap. Fmj is $10usd. Ima stick to my regular cap and home made fmj

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Thank you for the suggestions Shellz. I do have a good decent grinder and I didn't know you could get accessories to bring you closer to a bong hit. I will look into that more indepth later but for now I'm going just keep my little starry.

In regard to the preheat, great advice as I've been hitting it like I would a bong, long and hard. I think I'm fighting muscle memory; deep draw mouth breathing with a little resistance brings me to my happy place (diving, snorkeling bonging). I need to reframe my reality.

My bong goes to 240 but hovering around 200 gives me a nice Saturday morning wake and bake while 175ish gives me energy and mental capacity to complete tasks. It sounds goofy but I feel energized, like my chakras are better aligned. I need to investigate the chemistry of vaping more as the high feels different.

Find sweetspot for gear your vaping depending on its dryness,not too hot or you might as well smoke it!
Also you can tend to hold vaper in lungs longer with right temps.
Should be able to pick up decent vape for around the $200 + mark.
If your long time smoker id suggest to try a tolerence break between transition from bong, joint smoking.
Once your smoke tolerence is gone vape will get you stoned as a mexican crow!....or afghani.👳‍♂️plus lungs love you long time..
Thank you Mellowdude, I tolerance is pretty low although higher than it was two months ago.

Yes, caring for my lungs is a priority. I've been trying to get better at breath hold for freediving which is tough with what I've got to work with at sixty. No need to throw spanners in the works.

Smoking sativa dominant strains as that's what grows well here but also not looking for couch lock. The high is good, I just think I'll next to adjust to not having the big hit (same with edibles, good high but miss the hit).

Dyna’s quality has slipped lately. They’re sending out pieces with machine oil and swarf in them so just be careful and was them out before use. A popular alternate to the dyna is a dani from battery free ganz. It’s got a larger bowl than the dyna and built in copper free thermal battery/fmj (cause all the cunts in the dyna thread are whining about copper fumes)

I ran my starry at the highest temps a few times before using, it's supposed to burn them off but yes, that's a worry.

ShellzShuff3

Vegetating
User ID
My bong goes to 240 but hovering around 200 gives me a nice Saturday morning wake and bake while 175ish gives me energy and mental capacity to complete tasks. It sounds goofy but I feel energized, like my chakras are better aligned. I need to investigate the chemistry of vaping more as the high feels different.
Yeah man, fully! Especially for creative kind of stuff where you need to catch some motivation haha.

Hey, another thing to expiriment with is packing . Try packing the fuck out of the chamber, put on 220, pre-soak with heat a bit - might get closer to the bong type of high. I had a Boundless CF that was conduction and that worked a treat.

Some battery vapes also perform worse if the battery is low too so keep that in mind.

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Yup, went to 205 today, felt great, got dressed for a workout but ended up weeding the garden cause I forgot I was going to work out .

I'll try a heavy pack/220 go at it tonight. I probaly will still end up bonging a few times a week if I feel the need.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it :)

Yeah man, fully! Especially for creative kind of stuff where you need to catch some motivation haha.

Hey, another thing to expiriment with is packing . Try packing the fuck out of the chamber, put on 220, pre-soak with heat a bit - might get closer to the bong type of high. I had a Boundless CF that was conduction and that worked a treat.

Some battery vapes also perform worse if the battery is low too so keep that in mind.

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
... The high is good, I just think I'll next to adjust to not having the big hit (same with edibles, good high but miss the hit) …
I was the same but with the vape set to full power for the last one or two rips I get clouds and a good hit 😊 using the the TinyMight2. I tend to take the first couple of rips at a lower setting for the flavour before cranking it and making sure I’m getting all I can out of my herb and reloading

User ID
I find the looser I pack it the better. (Arizer argo) I also take long deep tokes/gulps, I say gulps as its more like sucking a thickshake through a straw. Get about 3-4 tokes per bowl which is pretty small, about half a normal cone I'd pack for the bong.

Top Bottom