Trichome veiwing

Tropic21

Germinating
User ID
Gidday growmies.
interested to hear what equipment and magnification you guys use for viewing trichimes.
Is 30x magnification suitable to make a call on harvest.
This girls got a few weeks to go , lowryder auto in coco perlite in AC Infinity tent , floramax nutes , day 4520230515_130616.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
I find assessing the overall structure of the plant more efficient and effective than checking trichs tbh as environment, strain and pheno will all vary trichome wise. Best bet is to wait for fresh stigma production to slow right down and brown, and check for stigma looping back into swollen calyx. The bracts will usually swell once the stigma have retracted. The plant signalling that it is no longer sexually viable for pollination (retraction of stigma) is usually a good indicator of ripeness.

I've had plants that have had amber trichs week 5-6, and some that never really did regardless of how long they went so I generally gauge structure instead.

A few weeks to go? I'd say more like a whole flower cycle left. That looks to be in pre flower stretch. Looking healthy though.

Last edited:

Tropic21

Germinating
User ID
T
I find assessing the overall structure of the plant more efficient and effective than checking trichs tbh. Best bet is to wait for fresh stigma production to slow right down and brown, and check for stigma looping back into swollen calyx. The bracts will usually swell once the stigma have retracted. The plant signalling that it is no longer sexually viable for pollination (retraction of stigma) is usually a good indicator of ripeness.

I've had plants that have had amber trichs week 5-6, and some that never really did regardless of how long they went so I generally gauge structure instead.

A few weeks to go? I'd say more like a whole flower cycle left. That looks to be in pre flower stretch. Looking healthy though.
Thanks for the reply Vin.
Yes I have in the past with outdoor grows relied on stigma browning . As this is my first tent grow and first auto flower grow not really sure as to the speed and duration of flowering. I have been blown away at the rate of growth to this stage and agree they are in a stretch phase. Cheers for the pointers

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
T

Thanks for the reply Vin.
Yes I have in the past with outdoor grows relied on stigma browning . As this is my first tent grow and first auto flower grow not really sure as to the speed and duration of flowering. I have been blown away at the rate of growth to this stage and agree they are in a stretch phase. Cheers for the pointers
For sure, indoor starts are a whole different animal. Got a good start considering it's an auto. My Last few autos have gone into pre flower around day 21ish and had pretty short stretch so you look to be in a good spot considering.

Checking trichs is fine as well as gauging structure, but I've found trich maturation to be different with every strain and then every pheno, so I just gave up lol.

When it comes to an autos flower duration, don't get too excited for a super fast finish as it's mainly marketing bullshit. Last NYC auto went 77 days and could have gone another week (quoted 9 week) and the amnesia auto before that got to 84 days flower. I've found them to be no faster than photos tbh.

Last edited:

Stiritup420

Vegetating
User ID
I sometimes use a 30x loop but only to check things out when i know i am already about to harvest. I go on plant structure too. When the top of the buds become "crowned" it's almost time

Top Bottom