STS question (perhaps a stupid one)

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Hey all, just wondering if a plant can resist STS applications. I have been spraying 2 plants every 4 or so days for around 3 weeks now and I'm not getting any pollen sacks. Maybe I didn't use enough silver nitrate or it went bad? Can some plants be strong enough and just shake it off and not throw sacks? I was gifted some really strong colloidal silver and soaked them in it to see if that works now, I'm around 3 weeks into flower so also concerned that I've missed the opportunity to chuck pollen🥺

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Hey all, just wondering if a plant can resist STS applications. I have been spraying 2 plants every 4 or so days for around 3 weeks now and I'm not getting any pollen sacks. Maybe I didn't use enough silver nitrate or it went bad? Can some plants be strong enough and just shake it off and not throw sacks? I was gifted some really strong colloidal silver and soaked them in it to see if that works now, I'm around 3 weeks into flower so also concerned that I've missed the opportunity to chuck pollen🥺
Is the plant in flower? Or beginning to flower?

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Yes ,,from what I’ve read some are resistant to it ,,and I have come across one that wouldn’t reverse
Id keep at it , it may take longer than normal but you can allways save the pollen for next run.
if you have a laser light go in a dark room and shine it through the CS,,if you see the line of light in the liquid then it will probably still be good to use ,,but CS does lose its strength over time ,especially if it’s been exposed to light or too much warmth

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Okay I guess I will keep trying, It could actually be a good thing then, probably the most resilient plants I have grown too they have dealt with light leaks, overwatering, high EC and heat and yet to see a banana. Thanks heaps

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Found the post :

@Kneeko . Id suggest that you mix an *undiluted*small batch of only 5-10 mls, and spray only once, on night of flip to 12/12. If you are diluting with demineralised water, you may need to spray a second or third time. Multiple sprays have been shown to delay the timing onset of pollen, which makes it more difficult to get the timing right with a receptor plant( unless you collect and store the pollen). One strain I experimented with multiple sprays, took nearly 7 weeks to produce pollen. On average, single spray applications have taken me 28+ days to produce pollen. Timing differs between different strains.

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
No I mixed my own up, it was 5ml of each silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate stock solutions in 100ml distilled water
I use to mix @ 10ml silver nitrate and 10ml sodium thiosulfate to 80ml distilled water.

Now mix at 15/15 : 70 found this to be more productive, mind I’ve had the chemicals in the fridge for almost two years.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I use to mix @ 10ml silver nitrate and 10ml sodium thiosulfate to 80ml distilled water.

Now mix at 15/15 : 70 found this to be more productive, mind I’ve had the chemicals in the fridge for almost two years.
Yeah I thought my mix was a little light, I did add more to it though so I'm thinking it would have been enough. Will use your recipe next time thanks

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/AU/en/...lysis/plant-tissue-culture/silver-thiosulfate. Your solution is most likely too weak. Don't dilute it, apply at full strength. Increase the sodium thiosulphate amount ( in above formula)to 2.5 grams( NOT 1.58 grams). Because in Aus we use penta-hydrate S.T. and that formula is for anhydrous S.T. which the yanks use and is much stronger. Penta hydrate ( used in Aus) is much weaker. No need to spray 7 times. Spray just once. If you've sprayed 7 times and your plant is still alive, the solution is likely too weak. A strong solution may burn some tips with just 1 single application. Guaranteed to produce balls, but some strains are resistant to reversal and may not produce much pollen, even if the entire plant is covered in balls.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Okay well I think I figured out why it has not worked. My spray solution was brown (decided to tip it out and make new stuff and couldn't see through the amber bottles) It had been sitting in the fridge for a few months wrapped in tin foil. So from now onwards I'm just going to bin my spray solution after spraying and mix fresh batches when it's needed.

Top Bottom