Silver nitrate shelf life

Hudo

Baked
User ID
How long does silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate last in its raw form I got a package of each about 12 months ago but theve never been opened would they be sweet still

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Just checked mine
Aus Chem Supply
No use by dates on packaging.
No use by date doesn’t mean it doesn’t degrade. In the case of the silver nitrate it oxidises (as sedge said it goes grey) from exposure to moisture or heat (it oxidises at room temp but no problem). Keep it stored with a desiccant in the fridge for the longest shelf life

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
No use by date doesn’t mean it doesn’t degrade. In the case of the silver nitrate it oxidises (as sedge said it goes grey) from exposure to moisture or heat (it oxidises at room temp but no problem). Keep it stored with a desiccant in the fridge for the longest shelf life
And light will ruin it ,,keep lid on strait after use,
after spraying plants put plants in the dark till dry.

RidingOnwards

Vegetating
User ID
Yeah I know that, I was just saying that it had no actual date specified on the package.
Mine is kept in fridge.

RidingOnwards

Vegetating
User ID
I got mine from a photography supplier. It still works fine, nearly 2 years from purchase , just stored at room temperature ( i.e. not in fridge).
Do you reckon it’s better stored at room temp?
I’m sure I read somewhere to keep it in a cool dark place🤔

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Do you reckon it’s better stored at room temp?
I’m sure I read somewhere to keep it in a cool dark place🤔
Just commenting that my batch lasted that long at room temperature. I guess if I bought a lot, ( which I didn't) I'd be inclined to preserve its shelf life by storing it in the fridge. A constant temperature provided by a fridge has to be better for long term storage than room temp fluctuations, particularly summer heat.

Top Bottom