Selecting STS mothers

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
So im a few weeks from flipping to flower and now making STS for a few reversals. I've been doing a bit of reading and youtubing and one guy reckons to always self seed 1 plant instead of using one plant as the pollen donor and crossing to the sisteršŸ¤”šŸ¤” or else the crossed plants progeny will show more mutants and undesirable traits? Does this sound like bullshit or does anyone here think or know that it's true? I have 2 really nice critical mass fems, 1 shorter bushy plant with tight spacing and a skunky smell and another which is bigger, slightly more spaced but has a citrusy sweetness smell. I'm planning on doing the reversal on one of these because they were my last 2 seeds of CM. So my other question, should I self one or should I use one as a pollen donor to cross with the other? (Small CM X Big CM) or (Big CM X Small CM). I will get around to putting some pics up before flip

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Here is a little ramble I decided to do coz Iā€™m pretty stoned,
and itā€™s becoming my favourite subjectā€¦
hope its of help

My experience of crossing sister to sister from a reversal hasnā€™t produced offspring that are like the parents ,,more bland in aromas,,,even different effects,,There might be good phenos that pop up if your prepared to search ,,,,,,,I wasnā€™t.
I think a sister to sister cross would be better with continued work ,and backcrossed one or more times to get it closer to the original strain

Selfing is good to preserve a strain ,,the offspring will vary slightly but with more similarities to the parent than a sister to sister cross.
And you can also get some with stronger aroma, ,,you can also expect to find some shitty yielding plants too. and everything between but most being pretty close to the parent
But ,,they will contain keeper plants if you need to go back to that strain in the future ,,just means youā€™ll need to pheno hunt to find the best one ,or ones you want.

Reversed pollen to another strain, will throw up some nice plants
that sometimes yield better and smoke better than either parent,
but will show more pheno variety than what we expect from an
F1 cross,,
That is unless both parents are from in bred lines or show very good stability ,that is when you can expect less pheno variation from the offspring.
Doing a strain to strain cross ( from non stabilised or inbred )will be improved ( toward stability) by back crossing to either of the parents,,Edit,,that is when youā€™ll be on your way to breeding your own strain.

if it were my choice Iā€™d self the citrus one ,,Ive had the lemony pheno of CM and I think it is the less common pheno of the strain,
and for me,it smelled nicer.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
hope its of help

My experience of crossing sister to sister from a reversal hasnā€™t produced offspring that are like the parents ,,more bland in aromas,,,even different effects,,There might be good phenos that pop up if your prepared to search ,,,,,,,I wasnā€™t.
I think a sister to sister cross would be better with continued work ,and backcrossed one or more times to get it closer to the original strain

Selfing is good to preserve a strain ,,the offspring will vary slightly but with more similarities to the parent than a sister to sister cross.
And you can also get some with stronger aroma, ,,you can also expect to find some shitty yielding plants too. and everything between but most being pretty close to the parent
But ,,they will contain keeper plants if you need to go back to that strain in the future ,,just means youā€™ll need to pheno hunt to find the best one ,or ones you want.

F1 cross,,
That is unless both parents are from in bred lines or show very good stability ,that is when you can expect less pheno variation from the offspring.
Doing a strain to strain cross ( from non stabilised or inbred )will be improved ( toward stability) by back crossing to either of the parents,,Edit,,that is when youā€™ll be on your way to breeding your own strain.

if it were my choice Iā€™d self the citrus one ,,Ive had the lemony pheno of CM and I think it is the less common pheno of the strain,
Wow thanks for sharing and very interesting. I have had the sweet lemon pheno before but unfortunately didn't keep it (was a lot stretchier compared to these ones also). I actually don't like lemony strains but this is more like sweet lemon like a dessert kind of smell, hard to explain

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
hope its of help

F1 cross,,

This is why i don't mind spending 10$ a seed for quality x's....

Gotta pay the ferry man.....

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Fuck mate you got ripped off šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ And there shit bag auto's šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Yeah maybe, they are quite old so will have to pop them soon just to see how shit they are. For domestic I guess its not that bad considering everything's +$40 USD shipping regardless. But yeah can agree that it's just all hyped up just for the money (also see lots of posts about hermies on their Reddit which gets brushed under the carpet)

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yeah look I probably won't buy em again since it's all done in Spain now, plus they sell more F1's now than ever for around the same price. I will try STS on one at least unless they just end up throwing nanners lol

Last edited:

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Fuck me, at those prices I should cash in my Mephisto collection and buy a house (or two). Some cunt is making a hefty profit from their instagram/discord scam scheme :unsure:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Fuck me, at those prices I should cash in my Mephisto collection and buy a house (or two). Some cunt is making a hefty profit from their instagram/discord scam scheme :unsure:
Which ones did you get? Despite your hate for autos do you plan on running any?

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Umm, who the fuck said I hate autos šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.

I have most of their back catalogue prior to their seedsman charade, and yes I have grown out a lot of them.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Umm, who the fuck said I hate autos šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.

I have most of their back catalogue prior to their seedsman charade, and yes I have grown out a lot of them.
Hahaha okay, 'hate' may have not been the best word to use. Yeah you are lucky I guess to have some older seeds before they expanded and moved to spain ..

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Both CM's a week after topping each main and tying them down plus a heavy defol. runoffs are a bit high (1.7ec). feed ppms about 700 just using dual fuel 2 part, rhizotonic, silica, pondzyme and yates trace elements (both from bunnings) and fulvic acid. they look a bit yellower in the pics. I've noticed they both have the sweet lemon smell now so will probably lean towards reversing the shorter one now

Attachments

• CM1.JPG
    CM1.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • CM2.JPG
    CM2.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
Top Bottom