Rising Electricity Costs.

Green_Sick

Vegetating
User ID
Will the rising cost of electricity have an impact on the size and and the amount of grows you do?
Do you think more growers will risk" stealth" back yard grows or gorilla grows?
Will growers start selling more buds to offset their power costs?
Do you see a rise in the popularity of non-typical leaf varieties to increase the outdoor stealth factor?

Obviously I'm going to be an extremely small time grower and user but for those with larger indoor operations
how do you foresee rising power costs effecting your gardening.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
More buds = more electricity and consumables, I’m looking at battery storage red earth have some good systems.

Not that easy outside either, hasn’t stopped raining here for 3 years 🤣

Also there is a company called brighte they do interest free loans on home upgrades I used them when I got solar on the house will use them for the battery storage and pay it off over a couple of years.

The money saved from the system once setup pays the unit off, power prices are goi g to be brutal going forward best to get shit in place now.

I’m feeling the cost of living atm fucking 230 a litre for diesel fucking bullshit, some cunt needs to knock Putin.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
More buds = more electricity and consumables, I’m looking at battery storage red earth have some good systems.

Not that easy outside either, hasn’t stopped raining here for 3 years 🤣

Also there is a company called brighte they do interest free loans on home upgrades I used them when I got solar on the house will use them for the battery storage and pay it off over a couple of years.

The money saved from the system once setup pays the unit off, power prices are goi g to be brutal going forward best to get shit in place now.

I’m feeling the cost of living atm fucking 230 a litre for diesel fucking bullshit, some cunt needs to knock Putin.
Yeah mate just sold the ranger and bought a van and a Subaru. Both petrol cars. Cheaper to run 2 petrol cars than 1 diesel.
Been looking at red earth me self lately.
Still a bit pricey for batteries.
Watched a vid on YouTube the other day and this sparky rigged up his own home battery with 15kw for 3 grand from deep cycle truck batteries.
Red earth and Tesla and others about 1grand per Kw

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Yeah mate just sold the ranger and bought a van and a Subaru. Both petrol cars. Cheaper to run 2 petrol cars than 1 diesel.
Watched a vid on YouTube the other day and this sparky rigged up his own home battery with 15kw for 3 grand from deep cycle truck batteries.
I’m thinking of selling mine, problem for me tho is I need a tow vehicle.

I haven’t been driving it much only when I have to fuck I’m glad the falcon is dedicated LPG under a buck a litre 😆

I’ll keep looking at batteries, it’s all fucked, feel for the poor mofos that bought a house last year fuck that’s gotta hurt with the interest rates and rents are astronomical if you can even find one.

I’m guessing a lot of people will be moving back in with the olds.

I donated about half a pound to an old bloke the other day his had a couple of strokes lives in squalor poor cunt and no family.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
i havent got solar yet. i need a new roof first. They could go on the carport but its eastfacing. Useless really.

But im finally getting a new hot water system Monday. Totally free supply and install. Upgrade the old 3.6kw electric storage unit for a pair of heat pump units 0.8-1.6kw. Thats gotta save a few bucks a year. Thanks Vic Gov.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
5000-7500km oil changes and that Subaru will be mint until it blows a head gasket

Downside of home build batteries is insurance will never cover them if that’s an issue. Nor will they cover damage if something goes wrong and the house burns down.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
We need a few small nuclear reactor’s, cheap power for everyone.

Send the waste back to Moscow on a big ICBM
Nuclear and cheap just don’t go together. There hasn’t been a nuclear power station built in history that’s recouped it build costs and projected price of power for future builds are us set to be nearly double that of coal.

Smr’s are just an expensive fairytale China and Russia keep trying to make work.

Large scale Off shore wind farms, solar and storage are the cheapest way to go with future diversification into other renewables such as wave, tidal, geothermal, green hydrogen etc

Short term using quick fire gas to replace coal and firm the grid while transitioning to over scale renewables

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
i havent got solar yet. i need a new roof first. They could go on the carport but its eastfacing. Useless really.

But im finally getting a new hot water system Monday. Totally free supply and install. Upgrade the old 3.6kw electric storage unit for a pair of heat pump units 0.8-1.6kw. Thats gotta save a few bucks a year. Thanks Vic Gov.
When u do get round to solar mate, make sure the inverter is battery ready.
Nuclear and cheap just don’t go together. There hasn’t been a nuclear power station built in history that’s recouped it build costs and projected price of power for future builds are us set to be nearly double that of coal.

Smr’s are just an expensive fairytale China and Russia keep trying to make work.

Large scale Off shore wind farms, solar and storage are the cheapest way to go with future diversification into other renewables such as wave, tidal, geothermal, green hydrogen etc

Short term using quick fire gas to replace coal and firm the grid while transitioning to over scale renewables
I disagree, Elon says can be done 🤣

Them turbines on land and out at sea look like shit.

I work near a wind farm most days they do t move no wind 🤣

Zero emissions from nuclear!

Will never happen here anyway, they want us paying 600 a month to run a fridge and Telly

We got a shit load of gas here why do pay through the noise for it ? Because we are all suckers.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
When u do get round to solar mate, make sure the inverter is battery ready.

I disagree, Elon says can be done 🤣

Them turbines on land and out at sea look like shit.

I work near a wind farm most days they do t move no wind 🤣

Zero emissions from nuclear!

Will never happen here anyway, they want us paying 600 a month to run a fridge and Telly

We got a shit load of gas here why do pay through the noise for it ? Because we are all suckers.

Musk is a fucking egomaniac. Should just stay in his lane of overpaying for shitty social media and oversaturating Leo with satellites.

If you think power prices under solar/wind are going to be high well nuclear prices would be 10-15x that.

We currently have to shut down wind and solar generators During peak supply simply because there’s no demand (negative power prices during peak solar production periods are becoming more and more common on the live market)

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Watch this space, I’m all for sustainability, but I’m thinking we have been conned.

I doubt it will make any difference, by the time the infrastructure is in place it will be too late,say another decade?

Massive skills shortage, who’s building it ?

Even if you bring skills from overseas where do they live? No rentals.

Nothing is ever as it seems, dopey cunts here are turning off the coal plants before the new infrastructure is even in place, then power blackouts during summer wtf?

I think Australia is definitely not the Australia it used to be.

Which is a fucking shame to be honest.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
We are at a major turning point in human history. This year has had unprecedented worldwide floods and droughts, to finally wake up the ignorant boomers denying climate change from 100 years of burning fossil fuel. The Arctic will be gone within 20 years at this rate. No time for fucking around anymore.

Developed countries need to fuck the fossil fuels off within 10 years max. The now has to be renewables (wind, solar, geothermal, tidal energy etc) paired with (not yet justifiable battery storage) or mechanical batteries like weights lifted during solar hours to be lowered and power turbines at night. Same principal with pumping water higher. There is so much untapped free energy on Earth to harvest which can only happen once the big oil and coal companies have no government influence. The tide is turning finally.

Nuclear fusion will be the gamechanger. They reckon we may see some fusion reactors operating within 10 years. (They've been saying that for over 30 years though). Gives 4 times more energy than fission, but amazingly 4 million times the energy from burning fossil fuels. o_O

Every form of energy on earth that has or ever will be was born from nuclear fusion from the Sun.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Watch this space, I’m all for sustainability, but I’m thinking we have been conned.

I doubt it will make any difference, by the time the infrastructure is in place it will be too late,say another decade?

Massive skills shortage, who’s building it ?

Even if you bring skills from overseas where do they live? No rentals.

Nothing is ever as it seems, dopey cunts here are turning off the coal plants before the new infrastructure is even in place, then power blackouts during summer wtf?

I think Australia is definitely not the Australia it used to be.

Which is a fucking shame to be honest.
When a coal fire plant blew a generator last summer it was renewables that picked up the slack and kept the power on.

At the moment what we really need is storage and transmission upgrades.
The next decade will be big on renewables. Look at tomago aluminium, they’re nsw biggest power user (10% of total demand) and have announced they need to go renewables by 2029 when their current power buying agreement expires or they’ll have to shut down due to power prices. They’re investing big on storage options for the hunter to supplement the expansion of wind and solar generators in the area. Eraring is becoming a massive battery, so is Liddell and so will Bayswater in 2030 when agl shut it 5 years ahead of schedule.

Then there’s the miners building battery/gravity trains in the Pilbara as well as mirco solar grids and installing hydrogen electrolysers for storage. Using it in small gas turbines for power during the night as well as to power hydrogen mining equipment

We’ve got so much arid land we can convert to solar + hydrogen storage, our southern coast is prime for wave generators and our Easter and western costs perfect for large scale offshore wind. If we put the work and investment in now/next few years Australia could be a renewables powerhouse over the next half century and be right up there with China and the USA in transitioning (we could actually do it easier and quicker)

Top Bottom