Reservoir maintenance - sterile or live?

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Hello forum,

I've setup an auto watering system for my coco DTW setup. First time running a reservoir in a long time, and debating on the best way to maintain it. Specifically, going sterile or using biologicals to prevent any nasties building up. I've got about 25L volume in a 40L tote, airstone running and keeping tempts <20c. Aiming to changing out weekly.

Looking around the interwebs, it seems there are two camps: sterile with H2O2 or using some sort of beneficial bacterial product. Any thoughts on the pros-cons of either? The sterile route seems most straight forward (have a bottle of 50% H2O2 with me so can drop that in and boost O2 levels as well). The world of beneficial bacteria products is a minefield though. So many different options, and most don't really disclose what they've put in the bottle (some ain't cheap either!).

I've seen people using products recommended for aquariums and ponds (eg API Stress Zyme, Aquapro 3 In One) as well as the hydro taxed products at the local hydro shops (of which you'll know there is a plethora of options). The guys in the states seem to use Hydroguard but that isn't available locally and appears to be a diluted product anyhow.

Your input is appreciated 🤙

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Great. I'm considering an automatic drip setup for my coco dtw too.

So for even a little set up, 20-30 litre res filled every 3-4 days, I'll need a chiller, pump and stone to aerate and then also need to moniter and treat shit 'other' than PH and EC?

Probably more fuck around than anything in my case, but I enjoy trying to diy shit like this. Have you got any pics of your (drip?) set-up. I'd Love to see it. Thanks

Red Eye Hero

Baked
User ID

So for even a little set up, 20-30 litre res filled every 3-4 days, I'll need a chiller, pump and stone to aerate and then also need to moniter and treat shit 'other' than PH and EC?

Probably more fuck around than anything in my case, but I enjoy trying to diy shit like this. Have you got any pics of your (drip?) set-up. I'd Love to see it. Thanks
Cheap diy chiller wish I made this instead of spending 850 bucks on a chiller
ph ec and temp is all I think you need to monitor in saying that my 250 L res stays the same ph/ec throughout the whole week
I also don’t aerate my tank I just give it a good mix before I top up the res

ED-209

Blooming
User ID

Yeah me too. Set this up to make going away for a few days easier. Hand watering is good if you have the time. It was hard to juggle with work, so am keen to use this.
My build isn't anything overly complex:

1. 40L reservoir outside tent
2. Inside, have a inline filter plumbed on the intake to the pump, manifold goes from pump to tent and air break/return via valve (pump is overkill for this), small air pump/stone
3. Hydro halo with a valve
4, Saucer is plumbed to drain into a small container with an auto bilge pump to purge water
5. Purged water empties into bucket.

Lots of redundancy and catches for leaks/overflow. Be mindful of your levels to avoid any syphoning. Pump is connected to a seconds timer, currently trying 30s feeds every 4 hours from lights on to run off

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    824.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 7

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Cheap diy chiller wish I made this instead of spending 850 bucks on a chiller
ph ec and temp is all I think you need to monitor in saying that my 250 L res stays the same ph/ec throughout the whole week
I also don’t aerate my tank I just give it a good mix before I top up the res
That's a nice little build. I don't think I'm going to need it for my size setup, but will keep it in mind - keen to try DWC down the line. For the moment, a few frozen water bottles ought to do it

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
That is very nice ED,

Love the ease of simply emptying the waste bucket. That in itself is very handy.

Fortunately. I'm in my garden shed up off the ground with a saucer drain setup already.

I was thinking a gravity fed system using this $10 Chinee drip set I have. There's more than enough there to make a main line and 3 diy halo's with 5-6 adjustable dripper heads on each, stakes and all.
IMG_4908.JPG

20-30litre tank of some type, up on a shelf beside the grow room, a std garden tap plumbed in, and ideally use one of these electric tap water timers for reg feedings.
2021-11-25 (1).png
Not sure they'll work on low pressure though.

Same, I'd just use cool packs. Have heaps from weekly Dinnerly deliveries!

The shed gets hot as they do in Summer. Whats the ideal temp for the water?

Fred Bear

Germinating
User ID
I used to grow in clay balls with a recirc system. Keeping reservoir between 18-22C was a pain in summer. Finally bit the bullet a bought a Hailea water chiller and haven't looked back, going into 3rd summer this year and hasn't missed a beat. You can pick them up for about $500-550. I know it's a bit of cost but the headaches it saves is worth it in my book. If you have ever had root rot and had to chuck a whole grow $550 seems like chicken feed.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Cheers - yeah it's a little overkill, but like you, enjoy mucking about DIY. It's probably more suited to a bigger grow with multiple plants. Can easily scale this up which is good for down the track.

Gravity feed is great - one less thing that can fail. But yeah only thing I'd be unsure of is pressure. A bit of trial and error should get you there though - I'm still working out my frequency and rate for my system. And will have to monitor it as the plant grows/phases etc.

Definitely want the water under 20c - both to increase O2 holding capacity of water (greater at cooler temps) and reduce opportunity for bad bacteria to grow. You don't want it too cold either, would shock the roots. I'm aiming for between 15-20c

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Hearing this, I may sometimes need to chill if I continue hand watering eve.

My rain water tank is only 1000 litres I think.

Just happened to note while checking EC on a batch the other day it was also 24 degrees, and the weather not much warmer. Can imagine it'll be in the 30's during a hot spell.

Or does this not matter at all for hand watering?

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
That's probably fine if it's around 24c from the tank - the ambient temp of the air and ground (or pots) would be that or greater presumably, or within a few degrees. Doubt it'll cook the roots. If using a chiller though, wouldn't want it too cold. How much volume are you doing per hand watering event? Could you discharge what you need from the tank and cool it with some ice before using if it was above 30c? I'd have thought as long as it's comfortable to stick your hand it, it shouldn't matter. This is assuming your mixing your nutrients each time prior to watering

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I mix 5 litres for 3 plants in 5 gal pots. I usually mix the batch after work around 5pm, but can't water until lights on and uv off at 7:30pm so will be dunking in some coolpacks on those days I reckon.

The whole automatic watering idea was to combat the inconvenient light on times. 7pm-7am. I need solar. At night, with my grow room doors open, my little garden shed looks and sounds like a nuclear reactor from outside.

krazykatz69

Blooming
User ID
I have a 100 litre (which I fill with 70 litres)top off tank for my RDWC setup - it has a small pump in it contacntly moving the water and two airation balls. Each time I fill it up (every seven days) I add H2O2. I have a chiller for the main res. This seems to work ok with me. I am currently running Mills nutrients.

Top Bottom