Rapid and Efficient Seed Germination Protocol for Cannabis

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Development and Standardization of Rapid and Efficient Seed Germination Protocol for Cannabis sativa.

Abstract
Cannabis seed germination is an important process for growers and researchers alike. Many biotechnological applications require a reliable sterile method for seed germination. This protocol outlines a seed germination procedure for Cannabis sativa using a hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) solution as liquid germination media.
In this protocol, all three steps including seed sterilization, germination, and seedlings development were carried out in an H2O2 solution of different concentrations; 1% H2O2 solution showed the fastest and the most efficient germination. This protocol also exhibited high germination efficiency for very old cannabis seeds with lower viability. Overall, this protocol demonstrates superior germination compared to water control and reduces the risk of contamination, making it suitable for tissue culture and other sensitive applications...here
: https://bio-protocol.org/e3875

Back in the day of early weed growing I use to add a drop of household bleach to my germming water in the belief I was killing any mold(dampen off) spores
and got about 50/50 good germs, 20 years back I cut that out seeing the bleach would screw the ph of the germming water, and kept a close count as one does when germming expensive seeds,
and from then on I scrapped the bleach altogether and got a sudden rise of good germs, over 80% at least ...and now I get sent this report ...so whats your story?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
scratch the seeds on the cement a few times, drop in some water for an hour to soften up and let it rip baby

Sorry I couldn't help myself. I think personally, scarification with chemicals comes down to what you use, bleach can do it but like you've said probably isn't great. h202 would likely be a better candidate if had to choose out of the two and there could be other factors like time spent in the substance, etc.
Many variables, could be a good scientific paper to come out of it or cool small scale experiment that could easily be scaled up.

Hey I know the industry is here listening they could try some stuff out without a great amount of expenditure but I'd bet they would keep whatever knowledge they find proprietary and not share for the betterment of the general community.

I've tried both bleach and hydrogen peroxide but didnt nesecarily need it because the seeds where only a season old and the conditions they stayed in where fairly stable and the plants they came off very vigorous.

If I ever came across an old pack of seeds, lets say 5+ years then I'd be taking extra care and thinking carefully about chemical scarification, if I came across a pack of seeds 20-30 years old I'd go all out biotech, plant tissue culture, hormones, laminar flow hood to get them babies to germinate and handle them as if they were a new born baby

Last edited:

vostok

Blooming
User ID
I couldn't agree more ...Currently I drop my beans to a jar lined with sandpaper and shake for 30secs
then drop to a bucket of air temp water and AloeVera juice as a surfactant and works very well
then to the warm sponge for a day or two

my current germ 30 plus white widow auto,fem, very fresh just 25 days old germed in a record 21 hours from the soak
I agree with you their

cheers

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I couldn't agree more ...Currently I drop my beans to a jar lined with sandpaper and shake for 30secs
then drop to a bucket of air temp water and AloeVera juice as a surfactant and works very well
then to the warm sponge for a day or two

my current germ 30 plus white widow auto,fem, very fresh just 25 days old germed in a record 21 hours from the soak
I agree with you their

cheers
21 hours is decent, I'm trying to think of when I first seen a seed crack and poke its root out, likely day 2 or 3 at the least.
But that's the beauty of scarification, I'm also going to guess there could be something beneficial in AloeVera juice, I remember seeing a heap of humbug about there being something beneficial in AloeVera that helps both rooting cuttings and sunburn, can't remember exactly.

I've done the sandpaper trick, tried something like 800 grit to not much joy but went a bit rougher one time and noticed a quicker germ, where that sweet spot would be dependent on many factors of course but I'm sure an average could be found and finger on the sweet spot of the grit and time found. I've just rolled up my sandpaper in a circle and held both end with my thumb and index index and shook for different amounts of time, probably not ideal when doing more seeds but can see it scale easily.
Unfortunately the difference between science and messing about is with science you write this stuff down but with messing around it becomes somewhat experience and wisdom which takes years then can be lost, where as science can be taught fairly quickly and become somewhat immortal. I'm a big proponent of science, facts and knowing/accepting when new information comes to light and accept that when new facts are uncovered/discovered/invented that it can easily completely change the narrative or way we see the world, though not common can happen.

vostok

Blooming
User ID
21 hours is decent, I'm trying to think of when I first seen a seed crack and poke its root out, likely day 2 or 3 at the least.
But that's the beauty of scarification, I'm also going to guess there could be something beneficial in AloeVera juice, I remember seeing a heap of humbug about there being something beneficial in AloeVera that helps both rooting cuttings and sunburn, can't remember exactly.

I've done the sandpaper trick, tried something like 800 grit to not much joy but went a bit rougher one time and noticed a quicker germ, where that sweet spot would be dependent on many factors of course but I'm sure an average could be found and finger on the sweet spot of the grit and time found. I've just rolled up my sandpaper in a circle and held both end with my thumb and index index and shook for different amounts of time, probably not ideal when doing more seeds but can see it scale easily.
Unfortunately the difference between science and messing about is with science you write this stuff down but with messing around it becomes somewhat experience and wisdom which takes years then can be lost, where as science can be taught fairly quickly and become somewhat immortal. I'm a big proponent of science, facts and knowing/accepting when new information comes to light and accept that when new facts are uncovered/discovered/invented that it can easily completely change the narrative or way we see the world, though not common can happen.
No guessing is what I leave my followers and wanna be trolls ....I deal in facts ..and hard earned experience

I don't fuck with sandpaper cause it gives me a hardon no ...
its a fact. scrape the shell of 'any' seed it will allow the water to enter and activate the cells in side - Fact

Aloe Vera I use, I could use dish soap or any surfactant for that matter but I'm bound by the fact I'm organic
not 'merican organic' ...'Hippie organic' as organic as you can get for that I charge a premium
a surfactant allow the water to bond to the cells faster

admitingly I started like you rolling a sheet of sandpaper up ...but I was quick to see the use of this and quickly taped it up to contain seeds ..as you can loose them right quick

cheers

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Well after reaadinģ above information

What's wrong with putting it into soil , coco perlite a cm or so ,correct way up
If its , 2 or 3 dayd get warn and moist sntpd they come up

All this other rubbish is unnecessary

If you use paper tool method it put in a jar of water , when transferring to pots any light on those roots and you set it back 3 or 4 weeks ,

Also the risk of contamination during transfer , think how many bacteria are on yuur hand alone that the seed won't like ?

Sometimes things don't need to be changed , its works for or 99% germ rate whatever I use

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
@benn0, you believe anything they tell ya to

"I'm a big proponent of science, facts and knowing/accepting when new information comes to light and accept that when new facts are uncovered/discovered/invented that it can easily completely change the narrative or way we see the world, though not common can happen."

Sugar

Baked
User ID
I do the damp paper towel method in plastic container then on top of my water heater in cupboard before planting in it's forever home unless of course I get volunteers pop up, they always get priority lol

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
@benn0, you believe anything they tell ya to

"I'm a big proponent of science, facts and knowing/accepting when new information comes to light and accept that when new facts are uncovered/discovered/invented that it can easily completely change the narrative or way we see the world, though not common can happen."
What do you cling to in your darkest hours pedro? religion? science? alcohol? cannabis? or do you just say fuck it and go out in a hail of glory?

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
What do you cling to in your darkest hours pedro? religion? science? alcohol? cannabis? or do you just say fuck it and go out in a hail of glory?
What dark hours ?, its the most stable time in the history of the planet,
and you DC's believe we are all doomed, because of "man made Co2, no proof required,
just propaganda that fails the basic science test

global-climate-deaths-per-mil-mine-square.png

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
What dark hours ?, its the most stable time in the history of the planet,
and you DC's believe we are all doomed, because of "man made Co2, no proof required,
just propaganda that fails the basic science test

View attachment 13247
Ok I'll give you that one smart arse hahaha, despite you hanging it up without much context which is just dubious, but anyway

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Well after reaadinģ above information

What's wrong with putting it into soil , coco perlite a cm or so ,correct way up
If its , 2 or 3 dayd get warn and moist sntpd they come up

All this other rubbish is unnecessary

If you use paper tool method it put in a jar of water , when transferring to pots any light on those roots and you set it back 3 or 4 weeks ,

Also the risk of contamination during transfer , think how many bacteria are on yuur hand alone that the seed won't like ?

Sometimes things don't need to be changed , its works for or 99% germ rate whatever I use
Thereā€™d be more germs/bacteria in soil than on your hands. In saying that thereā€™s nothing wrong with going strait to soil etc but some strains can benefit from a little extra help in germination to get germ rates up.

I also know plenty of gardeners who start seed stock in glasses of water, paper towel etc. if germination rates in medium are low. I actually learnt the paper towel method off a horticulturist when I was having issues getting 20+ year old beans I was gifted to crack.

Top Bottom