Pollen Extractor - kief machine

pug

Vegetating
User ID
Been in forced retirement mode, so have a bit of spare time. Been trying to get myself off the news sites, so thought a review on the Pollen Extractor might be helpful to some kief comrades. :)

Like many kief/hash farmers, I’ve been trying to find a way that provides a decent yield for the least amount of effort. In my case, stealth is a good thing too, so that limits a few options.

The Pollen Extractor is basically a dry sift machine. There are a few exxy versions of this concept for sale. One of the cooler versions was Bubbleman’s machine, but unfortunately it looks like it’s been discontinued.

First up … the price is at the lower (maybe lowest) end of the spectrum. The build quality reflects the price though. The basic components include a pretty small Ikea plastic tote, a cheap little electric friction motor and a decent stainless steel mesh cylinder filter. When I first opened the box, I can still remember being a little underwhelmed.
Pollen Extractor.jpg
This thing is a little quirky, but after reading a few punters’ recommendations and a fair bit of trial and error, it’s possible to achieve around a 7-8% dry sift kief return, with limited effort. I’ve been using the Pollen Extractor for a fair while now, but haven’t been arsed to record exact yields, so thought this time round, it might be worth it. :)

The Materials
I’m in the middle of a cbd tincture run at the moment using 100g of dry bud (no stem) that has been cut pretty coarse. A good volume amount seems to be about half of the cylinder, which is around 1/3 of the total 100g flower - basically, 33 grams per cylinder load. This means that one full run, takes three cylinder loads. I’m also planning this time round to do a second (and possibly) a third run - I’ll keep things going until I see a bit of green in the kief, then I’ll stop the machine and do the final weigh up.

Procedure
The procedure is pretty easy. Divide the chopped bud into 1/2 cylinder loads, put into baggies and then put the baggies in the freezer. Use the first baggy and fill the cylinder halfway with bud and turn on the machine and set the speed of the motor to pretty slow, so that the cylinder moves about 1/3 of a turn and kind of makes a bump noise at the end of each 1/3 rotation - this flicks out the kief. Then, stick the tote in the freezer, set at -20 celsius (most domestic freezers go down this cold at max). For the first run, I leave the machine running in the freezer for 3.5 hours. This is just an arbitrary time, as the kief that is collected has no sign of green. I just like having a gander to see what’s occurring in there.

One huge benefit of the freezer is that is quietens down the process, which is good because the machine makes a few squeaky noises. It also keeps the bud at a lower temp and humidity which seems to make collection better. If leaving everything in the freezer for long periods of time, stretching a rubber band over the cylinder edge (where it touches the friction wheel) makes for better traction and less noise.

The kief can be collected at the end of a run or at each cylinder. This time round, I collected the first lot of kief after the first cylinder of the first run - 1.57g for around 33g of bud. I’m hoping for around 4.5 - 5g from the complete first run and another 2.5 - 3g for the 2nd/3rd run to make around 7-8g in total.

Last Thoughts
I like the Pollen Extractor and due to my average DIY skills, would most likely buy a similar machine again. I don’t think I’d buy the Pollen Extractor again though, as I would like a bigger machine that could do one plant in one go. To get maximum yields and reduce processing time, dry ice pellets could be used in the machine. For a future purchase, I’d like the tote or box to be made of stainless steel or wood, which could handle wear and tear and dry ice better then Ikea plastic. The Pollen Extractor tote starts to show scrapes after a few uses when collecting the kief. I’ve found lining the tote with wax paper, makes things healthier (no plastic debris) and easier - just lift out the wax paper and slide the kief into a storage container … doesn’t require any scrapping on the plastic tote.

Will post final tally when the process is complete. :)

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
Good stuff Pugs!

What micron size mesh did u use for the tumbler?

pug

Vegetating
User ID
alrighty then ...

Total kief from three runs was 6.6 grams
4.56g 1st, 1.10g 2nd and 0.94g 3rd run (buds were chopped roughly again before the last run, which I reckon made a little difference).

Kief is a light gold colour.

Interestingly for me, the cbd (and other cannabinoid) potency from all runs was basically the same - it was too close to tell a difference from a TLC chemotype profile test.

Next time will only do one run and let it rip for 12hrs in the freezer - that will help stop the drop in temp and increase in humidity, each time the freezer door is opened, which should hopefully help with condensation.

pug

Vegetating
User ID
hi Merl1n :)

i've just finished making a tincture mate - been testing it out carefully for the last two days. so far, very happy with it - only doing 4 drops at the moment, once a day. the alcohol has a pleasant tingle under the tongue and the strain had a grapefruit smell that has translated into a lovely grapefruit taste. it tastes like schnapps.

thx also mate for all your guides on hash making over the years. i actually bought this little machine a while ago from your link for those who were lacking in diy skills.:)

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Those DIY skills have been built up from years of trial and error and error and err....
Buying one already made means you don't have to go through all of the same processes
A mate gave me a rooted tumbler in pieces years ago which I repaired, I then gave it back to him and built a couple of my own, each one having it's own improvements. Years later he went on a 'State sponsored holiday' (jail) and just before they locked him up he donated it back to me, so now I have 3 working versions and all sorts of bits'n'pieces.
I also made up a couple of shakers to refine the differing grades with finer meshes for each. I automated the shakers using an old airpump that the bellows disintegrated on and it works real well.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
I just found a pic of the airpump shaker
post-24238-0-91408800-1356921194.jpg

P.S. The piece of wood is to be able to clamp it to the table or it shakes all over the place.
And here it is in use
post-24238-0-88384600-1356921565_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

pug

Vegetating
User ID
it's a beauty mate :)

did you also have a cool pollen press that could press in the date?

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Yea, That thumb nail at the bottom of the post, see that shiny green thing, that's the press.
You can go out and spend $100-200 on a specific 'hash press'. or get something like that, It's actually a screw down clay extruder.
Here's a link to the same thing from Kogan for 20bucks (That one is aluminium, but they make a stainless steel version too)
Those discs are the same size as a 5c coin, I took my dremel to them, cutting the date into the disc. Pressed up, the blocks have the year embossed on 'em
BUT
You don't need to have a press to make blocks. Prior to using the press I used the olde skool method using a cigarette packet cellophane, the oven and a rolling pin. Like this:-Hash $2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom