Overcoming the old Ventilation/Light Leak issue

Indy

Misfit
User ID
This tute i'm going to touch on is the Ventilation/Light Leak issue. Another reason this tute has come about is because some time back a noob/knob-jockey over at OSA tried to shoot down a design i done up for another member. Anyway, due to a recent build i've managed to compile some pics to show to some extent i do know what the fuck i'm on about.

This is the box that's got the vent system in it.. Runnin' Low Run. I'm using a 120mm 240v AC Fan for extraction..
001.jpg 013.jpg

Basically drill some holes in the wall opposite where the extraction fan is located so you attempt to generate cross ventilation across the interior of the space..
004.jpg

Throw together some shrouds that change the direction at least right angles to vent holes in wall..
005.jpg 006.jpg

Get a can Flat Black spray paint and spray the interior parts..
007.jpg

I've incorporated a air filter design which comprises of a flyscreen and frame, as well as a thin layer of quilt wadding to keep most of the bugs and dust to a minimum. Gave the wadding a light covering of flat black paint as well..
008.jpg

Bung the Shrouds on..
010.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

As you can see with this pic, the only light that appears to be escaping is the bottom and paneling. I'll rectify that with some Adhesive Foam Tape..
009.jpg

I've got another ventilation build coming up. I'll show that design here as well in time. (y)

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I must mention though, this setup seems suffient for the 150w HPS that's in there at the moment. I'll eventually test it out again with either the 400w or 600w HPS that i have. A light with more intensity might be more of a problem. But i do have other ideas to combat that if it proves to be a issue.

vostok

Blooming
User ID
I must mention though, this setup seems suffient for the 150w HPS that's in there at the moment. I'll eventually test it out again with either the 400w or 600w HPS that i have. A light with more intensity might be more of a problem. But i do have other ideas to combat that if it proves to be a issue.
loadlineE.gif

Your'e in luck the 150hps is more heat than light, I have done similar to yours

but simply sprayed the inside of gutter elbows flat black = works a dream

the best vent thread on the web is here(math too) https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Cheers, man. Good to finally see a formula. Been winging it for years, and making adjustments to suit when required. I'll have a thorough read later, but after a quick skim over the first post it would appear i've in the ballpark for most parts.

That said, it's fairly easy to tell if you've restricted the intake too much, it'll produce noise, generally a whooshing sound.

And if you think you're over working the fan, grab two digital thermometer's and secure one near the fan intake and secure the other on exhaust side of fan. Then if you notice the exhaust temp is above the intake temp by more than 5 degree's. It might pay to open/improve the room's intake. Because that would show the fan is under more load than it should be (imo). Most fans will generate some heat on the exhaust side due to the motor, but of the one's i've found 3 degrees or lower appears to be general operating temp of a fan under medium load.

Not saying my way is the right way. It's just stuff i've learnt myself through trial 'n error. But yeah, i'll be sure to check out the thread. đź‘Ť

Top Bottom