Newbie light questions

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
As I have been researching and reading some threads here, I have been thinking bout the first light I bought, my sf4000 450 watt spider farmer light and when I got it I thought this will do for the moment and down the track I'll get something else, as I had gone the spider farmer tent and exh fan as well. In the near future was considering to leave the spider farm just as a veg tent and get a better set up for flower, and staying with LED. Maybe a gorilla 5x5 tent, I get want to get a better quality light for it. When I got the sf4000 I hadn't researched enough, and I want to get some feedback about what I should be looking for as far as quality and efficiency, and will work in a 5x5 area. I also had some concerns about the quality of the spider farmer light after reading a post about fire concern

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
I'd be looking here!!

Thanks, I had a look at their site, I remember reading some posts where a few members recommended the HLG lights they sell. One thing I was wondering about their lights was the uniformity and if there are any lights that might be better in that area but otherwise. I found then migro grand master looked pretty uniform, but turns out it's not available here though.

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
Perfect for a 5x5...

Can recommend

SWIM has the older one...

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Perfect for a 5x5...

Can recommend

That is a great light ,,
even the Rspec which is a little smaller and cheaper gave me good coverage
in a slightly larger area than 5x5

IMO,,,HLG get the best of the top bin LEDs.
all top bin are not the same.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Perfect for a 5x5...

Can recommend

Some wanker in Melbourne?

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I agree HLG are great lights( I use them), but they come with a price tag. Have a look at the latest Viparspectra range, which are getting solid reviews from the MIGRO YouTube reviews. For a 5 x5 flowering space, you'll need around 700-800 true watts of light. Using a few lights in that space helps to manage different heights in canopy, which is useful if you're not using scrog type nets across the entire footprint. You can use your existing sf4000, and say add another 2 lights around 150-200 watts each, for full flowering coverage.

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Gavita 750 pro???😂😂😂 I am thinking of crossing over to the dark side (led) in the summer but don’t tell these blokes I live in Tassie so LED with a massive heating bill just doesn’t make sense down here so hps it is for me I’ve been looking at the new lumatek Zeus pro for summer looks a beast of a light but hlg do seem to be the standard and some of these fellas are cranking out some mighty fine buds with em I just like the look of the bar style lights and think they would have a better coverage over a 1.5x1.5 space👍

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I agree HLG are great lights( I use them), but they come with a price tag. Have a look at the latest Viparspectra range, which are getting solid reviews from the MIGRO YouTube reviews. For a 5 x5 flowering space, you'll need around 700-800 true watts of light. Using a few lights in that space helps to manage different heights in canopy, which is useful if you're not using scrog type nets across the entire footprint. You can use your existing sf4000, and say add another 2 lights around 150-200 watts each, for full flowering coverage.
I just clocked 5 years with my HLG 260w Rspec and must say they look as bright as when I first got em! Would of been interesting to do a proper test when they were new and one now!!
I estimate they have done between 27000 to 30000 hours! Wonder how many globes at $150 a pop I would of gone through in same time with HID?

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
I just clocked 5 years with my HLG 260w Rspec and must say they look as bright as when I first got em! Would of been interesting to do a proper test when they were new and one now!!
I estimate they have done between 27000 to 30000 hours! Wonder how many globes at $150 a pop I would of gone through in same time with HID?
A few and I pay 180 a globe😂😂😂 in all honesty the double ended ones I do 4 flowering cycles with em then in the trash so 1-2 globes a year 360$ a year ya have near paid for the Led itself in 5 yrs so yea if it was warmer here I’d use 1 but running a heater would just kill my power bill in winter at least for 12 hrs with hps I need no heater plus I like sun baking under it whilst I’m watering😂

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for all the good info, I'm taking it all in, I like that many of you have used them for years and happy with them, that says a lot about them, I am really leaning towards saving up a bit more for an HLG, cheers

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
U can grab a 100watt 2 start with mate, think they around $250
Just 2 get a jump start on seedlings and a short way into veg
HLG def the way 2 go, porky talked me into it about 5 yrs ago and still going strong

Hudo

Baked
User ID
If your handy build one can get everything from cutter electronics and build a quality light for less than half the price he does kits too so it makes it easier. But if your not handy HLG for the win

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
If your handy build one can get everything from cutter electronics and build a quality light for less than half the price he does kits too so it makes it easier. But if your not handy HLG for the win
Interesting, I had never thought of building one, I don't mind building things ,but I don't know if I trust my soldering electronics to run everyday for years without fail safely

benn0

Baked
User ID
Interesting, I had never thought of building one, I don't mind building things ,but I don't know if I trust my soldering electronics to run everyday for years without fail safely
Just be careful there is some shoddy build quality out there that definetly wont last everyday for years lol

Hudo

Baked
User ID
There's no soldering now mate they all use molex solderless connections. there spring loaded clips already soldered on for you and best part is if a board or strip dies you just push the tab and pull the wire out.and swap it out . You just have to screw them together. You can also choose what colour you want like full spectrum of veg or just flower. The kit below is prob the easiest you get 4 of what's pictured. Or you can step it up to the light bar style.

I use these in 2700k for flowering. Theve got 404 diodes instead of 288 and are bright as fuck. I run 6 boards(same amount as the scorpion) except I can turn it up to 960 watt opposed to 700. It can cover a 6×4. There set up in pairs so you can run 320 watt or 960. I could build 6 of these for the price of a scorpion you just have to source some 190mm×6mm flat bar to use as heat sinks

Last edited:

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
There's no soldering now mate they all use molex solderless connections. there spring loaded clips already soldered on for you and best part is if a board or strip dies you just push the tab and pull the wire out.and swap it out . You just have to screw them together. You can also choose what colour you want like full spectrum of veg or just flower. The kit below is prob the easiest you get 4 of what's pictured. Or you can step it up to the light bar style.

I use these in 2700k for flowering. Theve got 404 diodes instead of 288 and are bright as fuck. I run 6 boards(same amount as the scorpion) except I can turn it up to 960 watt opposed to 700. It can cover a 6×4. There set up in pairs so you can run 320 watt or 960. I could build 6 of these for the price of a scorpion you just have to source some 190mm×6mm flat bar to use as heat sinks

No soldering, well that's even more interesting. How long have you been running the ones you've built. What type of flat bar, just mild steel or aluminium. Will do some reading on it, cheers.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
No soldering, well that's even more interesting. How long have you been running the ones you've built. What type of flat bar, just mild steel or aluminium. Will do some reading on it, cheers.
Around 12 months. I started by upgrading some chines HLG imitation lights that the boards were toast. I got them off a couple mates they were headed for the bin. Then picked up the bar light cheap off a bloke that couldn't get it going that has 16 strips configured into 8 bars of 2 strips per bar that does a 4×4 nicely at about 500watt but can be turned up to 600. You need aluminium to dissipate the heat. Your using the aluminium as heat sinks. The strip lights you can use 25 mm C channel at about 2mm but the boards need 6mm plate or a heatsink but don't get the cutter sinks he charges a fortune I got 2 from Aliexpress for same price as one delivered.they all use double sided heat sink tape to stick them on the alloy so doesn't matter if the holes are different. The Chinese shit doesn't use any thermal paste or tape. just screwd to the sink and I recon that's half the reason they don't last. here is a link to the heat sink but a lenght of 190× 6mm plate was about $220 for 4m and you can get 13 heatsinks from that. They need to be 190×300 then just use alloy angle to join them

Here some picks of the light made with the 6mm plate. The drivers i got off some high bay led I got for 20 bucks on marketplace the whole light cost Screenshot_20230915-071412_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230915-071316_Chrome.jpgaround $180 if you study up and learn about drivers you can Frankenstein quality performing lights fo nix out of different components these are the 404 boards

Last edited:
Top Bottom