Mystery bugs

Jarvisboy

Seedling
User ID
Good evening. Is anyone familiar with a bug that starts out as a clear coloured egg on the underside of the leaf that is so small it is barely visible . It then becomes a tiny moving bug that is a very light brown in colour and round in shape. Usually there are several on each leaf. Still tiny and hard to see with naked eye. They gradually get darker in colour and when fully grown are black and round about the size of a pin head. The adults hop away when disturbed. The leaf damage can be seen on top of the leaf as white marks then it gets worse eventually leaf dying off. I had a bad infestation in green house last year and have seen them already on seedlings outside this year. Any help in identifying them appreciated as I can't find an accurate id anywhere. Will try to get photo when asap.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Sounds like spider mites , nasty little critters , neem oil or similar will help control them

Or you could try predator mites , depending on infestation this may he your better option

Get them from a place in Queensland

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for the reply. They didn't leave any webs . Do spider mites always leave webs ?
Once there are enough of them they will have fine webbing at the top of the buds but that takes a while .

photo would be good coz although it sounds like mites,mites don’t hop ,and they leave white pinhead size marks

Thrips will hop or jump if disturbed and they leave short whitish wriggly lines .
photo will get you a positive answer

Jarvisboy

Seedling
User ID
It's hard to get a photo of the baby's and I don't intend to let them get to adults. But the adults being the tiny black beetle round in shape and shiny that hop around is what I struggle to find information on. Have been told possibly flea beetles.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
yep need some pics as sedge said because your describing many bugs

springtails can be black & will jump or hop but are a beneficial bugs

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
It's hard to get a photo of the baby's and I don't intend to let them get to adults. But the adults being the tiny black beetle round in shape and shiny that hop around is what I struggle to find information on. Have been told possibly flea beetles.
If you can’t Photo them then a photo of the top of the leaf so we can see what marks they leave behind,

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
yep need some pics as sedge said because your describing many bugs

springtails can be black & will jump or hop but are a beneficial bugs
Bloke posted a big article on spring tales.
They fucking cool little bugs. Some amazing colours and very different shapes and sizes. The Australian ones are particularly colourful!!
And they great for the soil!!

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Bloke posted a big article on spring tales.
They fucking cool little bugs. Some amazing colours and very different shapes and sizes. The Australian ones are particularly colourful!!
And they great for the soil!!
yeah absolutely mate , it is why we need to ID bugs before acting because many different types of bugs keep other nastier bugs in check , wipe out the good guys & the bad guys run riot
everything needs checking though because bugs like slaters for instance are beneficial but can also cause some problems to little seedlings when slaters are in large numbers

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
yeah absolutely mate , it is why we need to ID bugs before acting because many different types of bugs keep other nastier bugs in check , wipe out the good guys & the bad guys run riot
everything needs checking though because bugs like slaters for instance are beneficial but can also cause some problems to little seedlings when slaters are in large numbers
Yeah it's amazing how many things live in soil!

Jarvisboy

Seedling
User ID
Here's some photos. Hope they help 20231206_171238.jpg20231206_170722.jpg20231206_171019.jpg

Attachments

• 20231206_170936.jpg
    20231206_170936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231206_165518.jpg
    20231206_165518.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231206_165534.jpg
    20231206_165534.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231206_165608.jpg
    20231206_165608.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231206_170936.jpg
    20231206_170936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231206_170722.jpg
    20231206_170722.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Certainly looks like the dreaded 2 spotted spidermite. Sparsely populated so you still have time to clear em up before flowering. No idea what with, I had them in flower so was a vaccuum only scenario, but I'd get on to it before they take over and ruin your grow.

Top Bottom