Mylar vs White Wall Tents

mlg

Vegetating
User ID
Been browsing around hydroexperts site and seen the budbox pro tents with both Mylar and White walls. White seems to be more costly and in YouTube videos I've seen it reflects a lot more.
Any downsides in getting a white walled tent? First one I can think of is keeping it clean?

Mlg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Been browsing around hydroexperts site and seen the budbox pro tents with both Mylar and White walls. White seems to be more costly and in YouTube videos I've seen it reflects a lot more.
Any downsides in getting a white walled tent? First one I can think of is keeping it clean?

Mlg
For the amount of difference it’d make id just go with whatever is cheaper.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
From memory, the semi-gloss white spreads the light and heat out more evenly than (on the roll) Mylar. Even recall something years ago that the mylar can even create hotspots in the grow area, though i don't know how much truth is to that theory.

Whereas, the Mylar in a tent lining these days isn't as shiny, and has dimple's in it. I'm of the opinion they probably done this to address the issues of the Mylar of old (Mylar roll).

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Yep, Matt paints absorb light to some extent because they lack reflective properties like Gloss or Semi-Gloss paints. Probably why he didn't compare it to the gloss paints, so he could get his desired results.

Comment at bottom of article..

Matt​

You happen to be the very first article I have read saying mylar is more reflective. That may be the case with hid lighting but with led that is not the case. Not to mention white dissipates heat better than mylar. A study recently done through Purdue university was able to create a almost 100% reflecting white paint that hit the Guinness book of records. I think most will disagree with mylar being more reflective with the new age of grow lights.

September 27, 2022

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Haha, first thing that comes to mind is whether the spectrum as been altered once the light has reflected?

A few huge white road signs on the Highways might start disappearing. :p

Dodger

Germinating
User ID
A white tent will reflect more of the par watts that a mylar tent will. Par watts is the useable part of the light spectrum that the light produces.

Top Bottom