Movies for Spring 2020

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Borat movie or a remake of Witches with Anne Hathaway, I got the witches and glad I did
tho IMO secret its not as good as the 1990 movie

A young boy and his grandmother have a run-in with a coven of witches and their leader

anne-hathaway-anjelica-huston-witches-600x300.jpg

Anne Hathaway says it would have been “disrespectful to crib” Anjelica Huston’s performance in The Witches

Stoner Value = High

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Fail: in a Romanain Village supposed to be Kazak?
Borat's Daughter in this movie is actually speaking Bulgarian, the native language of the actress Maria Bakalova, and he seems to understand her perfectly. Meanwhile, the Kazakh premier is played by a Romanian actor who says his lines in Romanian. This is a recurring joke from the first movie where Borat speaks Hebrew while his producer Azamat spoke Armenian, but seemingly they understand each other. All of this to point out that American audiences can't notice the differences in foreign languages.
Not ..not my type of funny

Stoner Value = Hmmm OK

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Standard Liam Neeson stuff, great action but time is showing on this well worn actor
but seriously cheesy story

Stoner value = Low

21st century horror, 'overly emotive' but scoring great with the returning cinema crowd
worth a spoiler(Reviews: The Empty Man - IMDb) some say a poor translation from the comic?
On the trail of a missing girl, an ex-cop comes across a secretive group attempting to summon a terrifying supernatural entity.

Stoner Value - High

vostok

Blooming
User ID
Whispers have been around for months about this 'hardcore' Horror
Four teens must overcome a night in a house of horrors and call a mysterious number
to receive $100,000 from a woman they’ve previously tormented
The-Call-poster-600x890.jpg

Let’s start this review off by taking a moment to highlight the wonderful careers of Lin Shaye and Tobin Bell. Shaye has been a force in the industry since her small cameo in the original Nightmare on Elm Street, and Bell staked his horror claim to fame as Jigsaw in the Saw series. For me, seeing two older actors own the genre and relish in being horror icons, it warms my horror-loving heart. It’s wonderful to see these two get the opportunities they do, and it’s done by their sheer talent alone. A talent that surely elevates this film to levels that I don’t think many actors could do.

the-call.jpg

The Call is a fairly standard independent horror, with promising young faces and a plot that feels familiar enough to attract you in but enough indie twists to keep you interested. But you soon notice that this film features some impressive acting that you normally don’t find in a film like this, and it’s not just from icons Lin Shaye and Tobin Bell. There are so many solid moments of acting from talent who truly understand their characters, even if they aren’t the most fleshed out on paper.

THE-CALL-PUBLICITY-STILL-copy-H-2020-1600959351-928x523-1-600x338.jpg

Reviewing The Call feels like a battle of two reviews: at times, I’m impressed that it goes above and beyond…while other times, it reeks of the same issues I have with many horror entries like this. Like the acting, it’s strong and actually feels like a joy to watch, but they don’t always have the best dialogue. We’ll get to Shaye and Bell in a moment, but I have to point out that Chester Rushing is a superstar here

THE-CALL-Official-Trailer-%E2%80%93-Starring-Lin-Shaye-Tobin-Bell-Chester-Rushing-%E2%80%93-In-Theaters-Oct-2-0-37-screenshot-600x341.png

Rushing’s character Chris as a lot going on, and he delivers on that more than I think anyone else does. The whole film is about these 4 teen characters exploring themselves through some dark means, but Chester Rushing really sells what the whole film is trying to offer. It’s a “wise beyond his years” feeling, and it really makes him stand out amongst the other younger actors. Not to completely discredit the other actors and their characters, but no one got near the level of insanity we saw with Chester Rushing tackling newcomer Chris.

We follow these four teenagers as they go to terrorize an older woman who they claim hurt one of their sisters. Chris is new to the group but seems enamored by Tonya. Joined by Zack and Brett, the group’s latest prank goes wrong and sends them down a dark path. From there, they are led down a game from Edith and Edward Cranston that will change their lives forever.

This film begins to feel like an anthology story in ways as we see basically vignettes of each kid calling on a phone. With Lin Shaye and Tobin Bell providing the wrap-around story, this gives the film only a small amount of time to really flesh out a character within the group. I love that they went with Chester Rushing’s Chris, as he offers up a lot with his dark backstory and impressive depth.
the-call-600x354.png

Looking at the flow of the story would also explain why the focus falls onto Rushing, Shaye, and Bell. You really only have so much time to focus on so many people, and they surely divided that up correctly to me. Erin Sanders, Sloane Morgan Siegel, and Mike Manning all do very well, with the latter two having a fairly intense story. But the film was never truly about their characters, and it reflected as much. Eric Sanders, as Tonya, also offers up something to enjoy, given she’s a big part of what actually motivates the plot. Still, there’s something that keeps the film from truly feeling like hers.

Shaye and Bell do so much with what they’re given; Bell even giving me a little Jigsaw-vibes when he was explaining the rules of this situation. Shaye could’ve easily “phoned-in” her role quite literally, but she really does the most with every moment. Lin Shaye is who you call when you need emotional and intensity sold, and she does it here.The Call (2020 American film) - Wikipedia
220px-Lin_Shaye_2017.jpg

Lin Shaye A Nightmare on Elm Street etc etc

220px-Tobin_Bell_At_For_The_Love_Of_Horror_2019_%28cropped_3%29.jpg

Tobin Bell John Kramer / Jigsaw in the eight films of the Saw franchise. etc etc

both masters of horror if there was ever an award their'd get it

Stoner Value =High

Top Bottom