Mother Plants

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Experimenting with cuttings(again) and they're taking root ok. Looking at option to keep a female mother plant( or two) in a separate veg tent. Any tips/hints on keeping a long term ( say 2-3 years) mother plant in veg indoors? I like topping my indoor plants often, to form a uniform canopy- however apparently cuttings will root better when they are taken lower on the plant ( I'm currently using cuttings from way underneath the canopy - I haven't used tops for cuttings, yet). So, what sort of optimal plant shape(training) should I aim for a long term mother plant to be used for clones( assuming lower cuttings will actually root better) ??

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
best you can do is keep it at a manageable size ,,,then if it gets too big just start again with new cuttings of her. A few years with one plant I reckon she'd get pretty big.

You can use higher tips for cuttings ,,,the main tips at the top tend to be full of growth auxins,,growth hormones ,,,so they don't do as well as lower cuts for rooting.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Can't comment about taking cuttings from the bottom so much, as i take healthy cuttings from all over the plant.

But the longest i kept a mum going was about a year. She was setup in a single dwc bucket with a EC of around 0.4-0.6, (change nutes about every fortnight) and a 150w MH light overhead. I could've kept her going, but i had to shut down operations to sell the house at the time.

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Because I'm a bit of a cunt ?

Wanted to hear from the "experts" first, just incase I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, again (y)

When the ASX is closed I might have a go ??
Lol , U know what ya doing..

1st Question ? have u pheno hunted a mother keeper ? in that strain?
as a start to the mother line your wanting to keep ?

Found this to be a good read

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for replies so far. I'll pop 10 seeds from a given strain. The most vigorous specimen with good under growth from that lot will be the mum. The others I'll send straight to flower tent. Not breeding her, so not looking for a needle in a haystack. More interested in how to manage the plant at say, 12 month stage. As Sedge advised, I may be better off starting a new mum, when first one gets too big.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
best you can do is keep it at a manageable size ,,,then if it gets too big just start again with new cuttings of her. A few years with one plant I reckon she'd get pretty big.

You can use higher tips for cuttings ,,,the main tips at the top tend to be full of growth auxins,,growth hormones ,,,so they don't do as well as lower cuts for rooting.
So maybe I'm better off tipping the mum plant just once.? Encourage more lower growth, and avoid using the apex colas. Another topping can be done if her height becomes an issue, later down the track.

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
I don't think you have to keep the mother for years.
Just cut new mothers periodically.
As long as their healthy you can cut and grow for years On the same strain.
I've given cuttings to people many years ago and they still have them and take cuttings veg them out take cuttings again etc .
Still smokes up good like when I first got it Black Russian.

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Thanks for replies so far. I'll pop 10 seeds from a given strain. The most vigorous specimen with good under growth from that lot will be the mum. The others I'll send straight to flower tent. Not breeding her, so not looking for a needle in a haystack. More interested in how to manage the plant at say, 12 month stage. As Sedge advised, I may be better off starting a new mum, when first one gets too big.
If that's all you want to do, then yes , just keep cloning along. When it too big. What strain are you doing this with?
, is it the Bruce banner ?

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
So maybe I'm better off tipping the mum plant just once.? Encourage more lower growth, and avoid using the apex colas. Another topping can be done if her height becomes an issue, later down the track.

try The top tips as well ,,see how you go ,,,they look great but sometimes I’ve had them not root or not as fast ..might be better or worse with some strains.

topping her ,,yeah you’ll prob end up doing that each time you get cuttings off her

D

Deleted member cpr

I'll take clones from anywhere fox. I dodge the biggest and smallest tips, anything else is fair game. As far as cloning from top or bottom bits goes, I bet there's only a few days difference in it, they all have roots after 2 weeks no matter where they were cut from.

Now you're a pheno hunter, id advise you to clone and keep every plant that looks useful, you'll only know which one is the winner at the end of flowering and it sucks when you realise that the plant you didn't clone was the best. Labelling is important, don't loose track of a clones origin, its annoying.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I don't think you have to keep the mother for years.
Just cut new mothers perio
If that's all you want to do, then yes , just keep cloning along. When it too big. What strain are you doing this with?
, is it the Bruce banner ?
Wedding Cake, Strawberry Banana and Lemongrass clones so far. Yes, Bruce Banner will be also be a mum.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I'll take clones from anywhere fox. I dodge the biggest and smallest tips, anything else is fair game. As far as cloning from top or bottom bits goes, I bet there's only a few days difference in it, they all have roots after 2 weeks no matter where they were cut from.

Now you're a pheno hunter, id advise you to clone and keep every plant that looks useful, you'll only know which one is the winner at the end of flowering and it sucks when you realise that the plant you didn't clone was the best. Labelling is important, don't loose track of a clones origin, its annoying.
Lol. Yeah I took clones from a few outdoor girls last year. Mixed up the labelling and finished flowering 2 girls indoors under a single hlg135. Can't be certain what strains they were, but smoked nice. I'd love to clone everything, but Im running lots(too many)of plants ATM( at various stages), and I've run out of lights and rooms. My current round of cuttings will be Xmas presents for family (select) and friends.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
try The top tips as well ,,see how you go ,,,they look great but sometimes I’ve had them not root or not as fast ..might be better or worse with some strains.

topping her ,,yeah you’ll prob end up doing that each time you get cuttings off her
Four indoor runs a year planned. Busy mother's !! Plants outdoors will be from seeds

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
My mate that i got my clones from never really keeps a mother as like said earlier they get too big and unmanageable in his little space. When he finds something he likes he just continually take clones from clones.
If ya got heaps of space you could in theory keep a mother for years as long as it stays healthy.

Top Bottom