Looking for some advice on a tent.

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Hi all, I'm looking to make a dedicated space for some autos. I've long wanted to give them a try and now that I've acquired some good seeds and finally have the time I want to try my hand at them.

Due to space constraints and the need for stealth I'm going to be using a solid timber cabinet 100 x 55 x 180cm (internal dimensions ). Not ideal I know, but it is what it is :(. I'm on the look out for a tent that will fit in the space, but so far the only fit I can find looks to be a Greenfingers 90x50x160cm... and it don't look too pretty, plastic corners and all :sick:.

Although it's a bit shit it still might be a perfectly cromulent solution, as I plan to mount the extraction fan, carbon filter and everything other than light external to the tent so there won't be much weight on the frame and to help maximise space. Still though, I would rather something a bit better quality so thought I'd check with the brains-trust if anyone knew of another/better fit before I go down the road of crud.

Any input/criticism is welcomed and appreciated fire away šŸ˜‰

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Pikey

Baked
User ID
can you just grow in the cabinet without a tent? ie paint the inside shiny white or line the inside with the silver emergency blankets you can get off flea bay for a couple bucks each?
Yeah, I did have that thought, and you're right it probably would be the best option. My thinking for using an internal tent was to stop light leaking out, but I guess I could make some framing around the doors and use some weather seal foam and that would work too :unsure:

Cheers for the input (y)

smileysmoke

Blooming
User ID
Greenfingers are ok for the money. plastic is fine. its not load bearing so more than strong enough for the purpose
can hang led lights and fans off the frame no worries. just make sure to test it before you commit a plant to the tent (should dry test run anyways if you can)
if you get a tent with two piece vertical poles, tape the join..

for saving interior space chuck the fan on top of the tent fabric, sucking through the filter inside the tent.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
can you just grow in the cabinet without a tent? ie paint the inside shiny white or line the inside with the silver emergency blankets you can get off flea bay for a couple bucks each?
Just matt ceiling white works awesome, some people say better than gloss or aluminium foil.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Yeah, I did have that thought, and you're right it probably would be the best option. My thinking for using an internal tent was to stop light leaking out, but I guess I could make some framing around the doors and use some weather seal foam and that would work too :unsure:

Cheers for the input (y)

Id go down this route if your just putting a tent in the cupboard anyway.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
gloss can create hot spots though same as foil. Gloss also doesnā€™t really reflect more light. It scatters the light

https://www.mygrowfloor.com/blogs/news/compare-grow-room-wall-coverings-mylar-vs-white-paint-vs-vinyl-growwallā„¢
Im not even going to waste time reading that shit because i was a painter for 15 years.
Gloss paint does no better at dispensing heat than flat paint. If anything gloss paint will reflect heat better than the far more absorbent flat paint.

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
Im not even going to waste time reading that shit because i was a painter for 15 years.
Gloss paint does no better at dispensing heat than flat paint. If anything gloss paint will reflect heat better than the far more absorbent flat paint.
heat , what happened to light ?

R3za92

Baked
User ID
heat , what happened to light ?
Well when light gets intensified into a single spot (such as can happen with foil etc) creates heat.

well why when looking up grow room
design they all recommend specifically flat not gloss paint or textured Mylar film not foil or emergency blankets? Iā€™m no painter so why wouldnā€™t they be all saying ā€œhey use gloss it reflects more than flatā€ when they in fact say the opposite?

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Well when light gets intensified into a single spot (such as can happen with foil etc) creates heat.

well why when looking up grow room
design they all recommend specifically flat not gloss paint or textured Mylar film not foil or emergency blankets? Iā€™m no painter so why wouldnā€™t they be all saying ā€œhey use gloss it reflects more than flatā€ when they in fact say the opposite?
They. What you mean Haley Tohmann who wrote the article you liked. Who said may create hot spots.

Fuck you just believe anything ya read on a website dont ya. šŸ¤£

R3za92

Baked
User ID
They. What you mean Haley Tohmann who wrote the article you liked. Who said may create hot spots.

Fuck you just believe anything ya read on a website dont ya. šŸ¤£
Itā€™s not 1 website but. Itā€™s pretty much every website that comes up if you search anything along the lines of ā€œgrow room paintā€ ā€œgrow room wall coveringsā€ etc. please explain why theyā€™re all wrong, I donā€™t really understand paint so Iā€™d love to know.

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
Itā€™s not 1 website but. Itā€™s pretty much every website that comes up if you search anything along the lines of ā€œgrow room paintā€ ā€œgrow room wall coveringsā€ etc. please explain why theyā€™re all wrong, I donā€™t really understand paint so Iā€™d love to know.
FFS now ya clogging up this thread, Porky wouldn't have a clue, was just a dodgy apprentice house painter

Top Bottom