Let's pick on Cats

vostok

Blooming
User ID

Safety and tolerability of escalating cannabinoid doses in healthy cats​

Introduction​

There is growing interest in the potential therapeutic uses of cannabinoids (particularly cannabidiol [CBD]) in cats. In an online survey, 97.8% of respondents (n = 448) reported at least one behavioral problem in their cat, and many were open to considering cannabinoids as a treatment option.1 To date, only one publication supports the safety of CBD (CBD/cannabidiolic acid [CBDA] in fish oil [4 mg/kg/day; q12h PO] for 12 weeks) in cats,2 but no study has explored the tolerability of different doses of CBD and/or tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cats.
10.1177_1098612x211004215-fig6.gif

There are no published studies on the efficacy of cannabinoids in cats. In dogs with osteoarthritis, CBD has been shown to reduce pain and increase mobility when administered at 1.2 mg/kg daily for 4 weeks,3 and to reduce pain and improve quality of life when administered at 2 mg/kg q24h for 12 weeks4 or q12h (1:1 CBD:CBDA) for 4 weeks.5 CBD (2.5 mg/kg q12h for 12 weeks) has also been shown to decrease seizure frequency in dogs with intractable idiopathic epilepsy.6 Importantly, canine studies have concluded that efficacy is dependent on the dose administered and/or on plasma CBD concentration;3,6 higher dose and plasma concentration was associated with improved efficacy. Interestingly, dosing recommendations for the Food and Drug Administration-approved CBD isolate (Epidiolex), used in human patients aged >2 years for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare forms of epilepsy, range from 5 to 20 mg/kg/day.7 Both canine and human data therefore suggest that higher doses may be required for CBD efficacy, depending on disease state. To date, no feline studies have explored the safety and tolerability of CBD doses >4 mg/kg/day.

The potential for accidental exposure to widely available human cannabinoid products is another clinically relevant research gap. While data exist to understand how dogs manifest exposure to THC (alone or with CBD) in a controlled research setting or via accidental exposure to human recreational or medical cannabis,8,9 data on cats are sparse, with only two published case reports on accidental cannabis intoxication.10,11

The primary objective of this placebo-controlled study was to determine the safety and tolerability of escalating doses of well-defined cannabis formulations predominant in CBD, THC or CBD plus THC (1.5:1) in healthy cats in a controlled research setting. As a secondary objective, this study also explored the plasma concentrations of CBD, THC and their major metabolites following serial dosing with CBD, THC or CBD plus THC.
Click the Link for the rest:

Dogs must be next then...?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sugar

Baked
User ID
Mic, I'm keen to try CBD for my cat Lucy to see if it will help with her depression and pain. Where do I buy some and how much do you give your cats and how often please. Also, any side effects that you notice? Thanks

Sugar

Baked
User ID
How do you know your cats depressed ?
she is very sooky and just wont leave my lap or side or when I sleep and her tail hangs down and her eyes are down cast and she is vocalising more and hates when I leave the home now...I can hear her crying as I close the door.

her hormones are haywire after radiation iodine treatment and now kidney failure and waiting for her thyroid glands to stabilise etc

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Reality is there are domestic cats requiring best of care as able let alone there are laws to protect wildlife from feral cats.
Laws to protect wildlife from feral cats. Is that a joke sugar.
I fucking hate cats they are by far the most devastating introduced species in Australia.

The only good cat is a dead cat.

Sugar

Baked
User ID
I fucking hate cats they are by far the most devastating introduced species in Australia.

hey!
I was speaking in support of protecting wildlife from feral cats.
Don't yell at me and cats housed properly are beautiful and there are many destructive animals out there...lets not talk about humans.

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
We have always had a pet cat or two at home.so

When I first went to this place many years ago there were heaps of scrub turkeys,and lyre birds and wonga pigeons.was a fantastic rainforest spot on private property.
Overtime they started to disappear!
As you can see these are fully reverted to the a wild form.
They are crazy at close quarters!
These are not house pets!20210419_171402.jpg

Sugar

Baked
User ID

When I first went to this place many years ago there were heaps of scrub turkeys,and lyre birds and wonga pigeons.was a fantastic rainforest spot on private property.
These are not house pets!View attachment 13175
Mate, bloody nice legs! Are they your legs? hubba bubba lol :D
That is a huge cat! It's beautiful

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID

FFS cats have been one of the most useful animals humans have domesticated

you city/town "fuckheads" haven't got a clue

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID

These are not house pets!View attachment 13175
Cat killer hey, nice bow tho

Top Bottom