Kmart large dehumidifier

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Just got it a day ago in preparation for flowering.. Gotta say for the price it's pretty decent and it's really quiet (slight humming). A thing which is quite annoying (and a reason not to buy it) is the way the power switch is. It is one button which needs to be pressed everytime after being turned off at the wall, meaning it won't work with an inkbird as it will stay off. Went and bought some security screwdriver bits to break into the thing and ended up bypassing the switch so now it turns on from the wall so it can now work with my inkbird.

Price 9/10
Function 8/10
Design 2/10

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Just got it a day ago in preparation for flowering.. Gotta say for the price it's pretty decent and it's really quiet (slight humming). A thing which is quite annoying (and a reason not to buy it) is the way the power switch is. It is one button which needs to be pressed everytime after being turned off at the wall, meaning it won't work with an inkbird as it will stay off. Went and bought some security screwdriver bits to break into the thing and ended up bypassing the switch so now it turns on from the wall so it can now work with my inkbird.

Price 9/10
Function 8/10
Design 2/10
I was sussing one of these out for more humid parts of the year. I grow pretty small plants most of the time so humidity is never much of an issue (I can actually sit lower than ambient due to the lights heat sometimes), but if i decided to actually fill a tent one day (especially in summer), I could use the service of a Deheuy.

Does it put out much heat? I tried a 5L cheapie off kogan and it worked more as a heater than an actual deheuy lol.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I was sussing one of these out for more humid parts of the year. I grow pretty small plants most of the time so humidity is never much of an issue (I can actually sit lower than ambient due to the lights heat sometimes), but if i decided to actually fill a tent one day (especially in summer), I could use the service of a Deheuy.

Does it put out much heat? I tried a 5L cheapie off kogan and it worked more as a heater than an actual deheuy lol.
No not at all, I have it inside the tent (5x5) its overkill but I would rather have it just incase. When I first tried it out it was outside the tent in a large room, the RH was around 70 and after running for 10 mins my meters were reading 55-58. they say to run them in the lung room the tent is in but I have the space in the tent for it but also got some gourmet mushrooms outside the tent so I don't want them drying out. It also comes with a hose point so you can drain it to a large container outside the tent.. let me know if you need help with making it work with the inkbird if you get one

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
No not at all, I have it inside the tent (5x5) its overkill but I would rather have it just incase. When I first tried it out it was outside the tent in a large room, the RH was around 70 and after running for 10 mins my meters were reading 55-58. they say to run them in the lung room the tent is in but I have the space in the tent for it but also got some gourmet mushrooms outside the tent so I don't want them drying out. It also comes with a hose point so you can drain it to a large container outside the tent.. let me know if you need help with making it work with the inkbird if you get one
Cheers. That's good to know. I'm in a closet, in a walk in so I should be good regarding lung room function. Just wasn't sure as my kogan deheuy literally increases the temp by 2-3c for a 5-7% decrease in humidity.

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Is it the Anko? If so I've been using it for drying. I had a smaller,more expensive brand that was doing 300 mils a day and was impressed. The kmart one is a beast compared to it and good value for money.

Next year I may get an aircon so I can control temps but for now it works fine.

It does bring up the temp a bit but that's life.

Second your review, it's good bang for buck.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Cheers. That's good to know. I'm in a closet, in a walk in so I should be good regarding lung room function. Just wasn't sure as my kogan deheuy literally increases the temp by 2-3c for a 5-7% decrease in humidity.
Yeah it will do the job, im not even sure if the cheap ones have the compressors, i remember seeing dessicant ones (I think they are the small ones) but this one has a compressor and it kicks in a few seconds after turning on so it sounds like a mini fridge

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Is it the Anko? If so I've been using it for drying. I had a smaller,more expensive brand that was doing 300 mils a day and was impressed. The kmart one is a beast compared to it and good value for money.

Next year I may get an aircon so I can control temps but for now it works fine.

It does bring up the temp a bit but that's life.

Second your review, it's good bang for buck.
Yeah that's the one, the small one has rubbish reviews so I'm guessing it hasn't got the compressor. If it had a proper on/off switch it would be even better but no biggy just a minor setback

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I’m not keen on any electrical device bought from Kmart after the toasted sandwich maker started sparking at the outlet after a couple of weeks.
Just bad luck I guess. Can't really escape Chinese electronics but I can agree to an extent (got a German made blauberg inline fan because I was scared of the Chinese ones), but on the inside it seems fine and so far so good for me, I do have 2 fire alarms and extinguisher closeby just in case something is dodgy. I probably wouldn't trust a $15 dollar toastie maker too 🧯🧯

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Just bad luck I guess. Can't really escape Chinese electronics but I can agree to an extent (got a German made blauberg inline fan because I was scared of the Chinese ones), but on the inside it seems fine and so far so good for me, I do have 2 fire alarms and extinguisher closeby just in case something is dodgy. I probably wouldn't trust a $15 dollar toastie maker too 🧯🧯
I ended up going to the good guys got a breville one now so far so good, ironically it’s fucking Chinese too 🤣

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
The inside parts are probably made in the same factory as the anko one too hahaha, nah they probably have better quality control.. I hope 😆
scary really, everything for my indoor setup is Chinese apart from one led light that’s US made, I’m sure I’d be bitching about the price of everything if it wasn’t Chinese made too 😉

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
scary really, everything for my indoor setup is Chinese apart from one led light that’s US made, I’m sure I’d be bitching about the price of everything if it wasn’t Chinese made too 😉
Yeah it's rough and true but you gotta admit they are great at reverse engineering. Funny you say that because everything besides my fan is Chinese also. I also not long ago bought a new 4 stroke brushcutter, they call them Chondas because they are Chinese clone Honda engines (they look exactly the same on the outside but not sure about the internals). The thing is a ripper and sips fuel and came with a toolkit, a shaft extension, chainsaw head, hedgetrimmer head, metal brush cutter blade and the bump feed and harness. $300 for it all. Was sketched out about the chain but found out it was American made and cut up some old hardwood posts and gate with it, I'm impressed with it, especially the price but feel guilty too but like I said there's no escaping it, I wasn't going to buy a Chinese Victa from Bunnings anyway

Phl3x

Germinating
User ID
Yeah it's rough and true but you gotta admit they are great at reverse engineering. Funny you say that because everything besides my fan is Chinese also. I also not long ago bought a new 4 stroke brushcutter, they call them Chondas because they are Chinese clone Honda engines (they look exactly the same on the outside but not sure about the internals). The thing is a ripper and sips fuel and came with a toolkit, a shaft extension, chainsaw head, hedgetrimmer head, metal brush cutter blade and the bump feed and harness. $300 for it all. Was sketched out about the chain but found out it was American made and cut up some old hardwood posts and gate with it, I'm impressed with it, especially the price but feel guilty too but like I said there's no escaping it, I wasn't going to buy a Chinese Victa from Bunnings anyway
Can I ask where you purchased from. I'm in the market and it sounds like a great deal!

Stiritup420

Vegetating
User ID
I bought a cheap puresonic or something Chinese 2L off ebay. Barely did anything in a 5x5 and then just stopped working. Need to find a good one now.. What size would you use for 5x5?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I bought a cheap puresonic or something Chinese 2L off ebay. Barely did anything in a 5x5 and then just stopped working. Need to find a good one now.. What size would you use for 5x5?
The bigger the better I guess but the Kmart one is more than enough for my 5x5 with 2.2L capacity and right now I'm emptying it everyday, that's my environment though so it will differ elsewhere probably should use the hose output and drain it to a bigger container... the room it's in is about 14ft2, I just decided to put in tent to stop my gourmet mushrooms from going bone dry or else I would have ran it outside the tent. It's cheap for what it is but works well, if it breaks you can just lob it back to their store for a refund too instead of hassles sending it back to ebayers. For more expensive options there's Delonghi, Phillips and Breville like Gazza has which would come with inbuilt humidistats/control panels which the Kmart version doesnt have. And also needs modifying to make it work with inkbirds (security screwdriver tri wing head to open it up, once open cut the low voltage cables running to the switch, simply strip ends of the cables and twist the 4 of each white and reds together to make 2, wrap ends with a bit of electrical tape and make sure to quickly check if it turns on from the wall before putting the case back on)

Last edited:

benn0

Baked
User ID
I brought an $80 dehue from BigW used AfterPay to get it easier as I was broke and it wasn't a joke but in the end its been well worth it both for in the tent and for drying

dregs

Germinating
User ID
Bit late to chime in here but if you want to put it into your tent, you need to consider the airflow of the dehuey and the airflow of your extractor fan. Most dehueys will suck moist air from the bottom or sides and blow it out the top, straight into the ventilation system and out the window.

If your using a cheapo, I would be positioning it as close to the plant as possible without the airflow directly hitting anything on the plant and setting up an oscillating fan to push the dehumidified air towards the under canopy.

I have an AusClimate Medium+ 25L running outside of my tent which can be set to 60, 50, 40% or continuous. The RH in my tent will generally be 10-20% higher depending on the speed of my extractor fan. Right now it is set on 50% with the extractor fan on level 5 and I will consistently get 65% in my tent.

I used to use a Vivosun dehuey which was about 80 dollars on eBay. That piece of shit doesn't even work if the RH is less than 60% and I am pretty sure it came with fungas gnats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom