Is it a male? - signs before flowering!

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
A male can show signs before flipping, yes? Just checking in on the girls and noticed this growth between the branches and 99% sure it is a male but want to confirm, and to make sure it will cause no harm while still in veg?

The seeds were given to me and as far as I know they are not feminised, so I would expect to see both sexes in the batch.

If it is a male I would consider collecting some pollen as the strain is a very nice with the sativa high and a strong diesel smell.

It is called Byron Bay, but I can not find info about the strain, so can only presume it is a home made one.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 25

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
Yes Mate they are pollen sacs forming Even if you want to collect some pollen Now would be a good time to isolate it

One Drop

Curing
User ID
Yep that's what I do I have a male smoking lounge out side away from all the plants in back of chook coup soon as I get some nice pilled I use a seed Vail and clean paintbrush 🖌️ and get a sexy time going in the privacy of my own home ......

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
So it will produce pollen even tho it is still in veg cycle 18/6.???

I am happy it is a male and will pop him in a spare tent in the back room to prevent any pollen puffing all over my girls.

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
Be aware it only takes a bit to get on your clothes or something and accidentally transfer it to the Girls . When I have Male plants around I always check on them after Ive been to see the Girls just to be safe .

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Of course, thank you. I read that water will kill the pollen so I have a spray bottle with isopropyl in it and will spray the room on entry and exit, and change clothes.
I also have a mister on my water sprayer and before I gently removed the males this morning I gave the girls a misting of ph water so hopefully all will be OK. Will keep a very close eye for any rogue balls or hermies.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID

HOW TO SELECT A GOOD MALE PLANT FOR BREEDING?

We don’t smoke males, so it’s harder to find the perfect plant with the best flavour. Usually, breeders select their male through process of elimination. Here is some criteria to help you determine which one to keep, and which to discard.
Don’t use males that grow especially fast or tall. Most of the time, these plants may be lacking when it comes to the quality of their bud.
Eliminate those male plants that flower too early, and rid yourself of those that autoflower. Plants that flower at unexpected times may have a higher chance of becoming intersex.
One thing that breeders do is select good males based on their stems. Large, hollow stems are normally a good sign, while you should toss those plants with a pithy stem. Experienced growers say there is a positive relationship between the type of stem and THC content.
Eliminate those male plants with an airy bud structure and keep those with dense and tightly-packed buds to ensure good yields.
A simple sniff test is yet another easy but effective way to find a promising male. Keep those plants that have the best scent.
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blo...#how-to-select-a-good-male-plant-for-breeding

i'm not a breeder but i always thought you want to be able to clone your male plant like you would a prized female
keeping them indefinitely for currant & future breeding programs

maybe some of the breeders on here might have more insight in this area

smileysmoke

Blooming
User ID
i made canna butter with a massive JH x AK47 male once.. it was super strong :D even though everything i was told at the time said males are worthless. so if you get desperate you can still get something from him as well as the pollen as the other lads mentioned.

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
I pulled a couple of the smaller males, ended up with 5, and they just smell really grassy.
I did not think they would start to produce pollen so young but they have and I saved some.

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Didn't want to start a new thread on this so thought I would just drop in here with this question..
I have this (supposedly) fem seedling at 2 weeks old showing signs of being male. It has been under 18/6 low wattage lighting. Why is it showing so early? Would it be not liking the low level of light and hermie?
38.jpg649.jpg

Top Bottom