Inline fan/ducting size in 5x5

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
is 8" better than 6" in a 5x5. I have heard that 6" is sufficient, but 8" will be better do to ability to run quieter and still move than same amount. Is there other reasons to choose one over the other, the price difference didn't seem that much overall.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
6 inch inline fan is fine for that tent size. A jump up to 8 inch will use twice the power and will probably run way hotter too. I have a 6 inch inline in my 5x5 hooked up to 8 inch carbon filter.
Edit: here's my fan (blauberg 150 turbo) VS the 8 inch version specs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929-205843.png
    Screenshot_20230929-205843.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230929_210523.jpg
    IMG_20230929_210523.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
mine only runs on half speed in 4x4 and its more than sufficient .
same fan as goonie. Its a straight line from the tent through the roof which helps too.
I can hear it purring now. caresses me to sleep :sleep:

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I've got a 5x5 and a AC infinity 6" is ample. But i'm like Bullfrog where there's less than 2 metres of ducting to the outlet. Only if you've gotta push air over a considerable distance (through ducting, silencer, etc..) that you may want to factor in a 8", imo.

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
What about clip on fans in a 5x5, should you use 2 clip on fans in flower instead of one

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
What about clip on fans in a 5x5, should you use 2 clip on fans in flower instead of one
depends. you may only need one you might need 2. my experience is I like to have fans handy incase i need em . you should be fine with one to start anyway and as you get towards flowering and the tent fills up you could decide then if you need another.

snapper

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I would run a 30cm floor fan and 1 or 2 oscillating fans. I like to have a lot of air movement so there are no cold/hot spots and humid areas.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
none of the clip on fans move enough air unless it’s a small space,
they don’t normaly last too long either,,

I’ve been caught out twice now trying to replace fans in the winter months.
unless I want to drive to Melb, (big hassle) and then it’s usually only hydro shops are stocking them.
allways good to have spares as bullfrog said ,,but get them in the summer,,when they are everywhere and tend to be cheaper.

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
while we are on the subject does anyone here have those ac infinity cloudray 10 speed fans ? are they worth the money ??

Pikey

Baked
User ID
while we are on the subject does anyone here have those ac infinity cloudray 10 speed fans ? are they worth the money ??
Yeah, I've got a few of them.

I use 3 of them in a 4x4 and they move air very well. Only grumble is that after their first grow 2 of them started making a lot of noise when on oscillate. The fan motors themselves are still as strong and quite as they were when brand new, just the oscillation mechanisms are shit.

Looking back I should have put them on an alternating on/off cycle to give each an 8hr rest each day, rather than run them 24/7 like I did ...actually now I think about it, I'm pretty sure AC Infinity mentioned that somewhere in their literature 🫤.

It's a bit disappointing, but not the end of the world. They still shit all over any other oscillating fans I've had 👍.

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
Yeah, I've got a few of them.

I use 3 of them in a 4x4 and they move air very well. Only grumble is that after their first grow 2 of them started making a lot of noise when on oscillate. The fan motors themselves are still as strong and quite as they were when brand new, just the oscillation mechanisms are shit.

Looking back I should have put them on an alternating on/off cycle to give each an 8hr rest each day, rather than run them 24/7 like I did ...actually now I think about it, I'm pretty sure AC Infinity mentioned that somewhere in their literature 🫤.

It's a bit disappointing, but not the end of the world. They still shit all over any other oscillating fans I've had 👍.
yeah you mighty be right with the cycling em around idea. Ive killed so many small cheap fans I think its just the way it is. sometimes they last 3 years sometimes half a grow . Ive got one going now i can hear it clicking all night in my dreams

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
I was actually looking at those a.c. infinity fans as well, never thought of spare fans though, or cycling on/off for longevity. Does make me wonder what other types of spares might come in handy down the road.

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I'm using an AC 6" inline for the exhaust and AC circulation fan, both paired with a controller. Both are very quiet compared to previous fans. 6" seems plenty to me, I think mine is set to about 5/10. For reference: 4*4*6' tent with HLG 550. Keep your ducting as short and straight as you can for quietness. Long ducts and sharp corners make the whooshing noise. If anyone is in my house, the stereo or TV is on and probably the heat pump too. Had cops in my house twice in the last year and I didn't worry at all.

Indy

Misfit
User ID

I've found 2 clip on fans usually does the job during a grow. I'm running 4 at the moment though. But that's only because i'm growing out a very stretchy strain.

I noticed in another thread you were mentioning whether to get a 4 or 8 port controller. If there's not much difference in the price. Future proof yourself (to some extent), and go the 8 port controller, imo.

Fatsacks

Germinating
User ID
If you get the 8" with a speed dial you'll have options. it can be set to low and slow (less noise) or turned up higher if your temps or humidity is high and turn over the air quicker. It may outlast a 6" that's running flat out constantly.

Top Bottom