Influence of Light Spectra on the Production of Cannabinoids

vostok

Blooming
User ID

From the above link, further Lab results
Abstract
In recent years, more attention has been paid to cannabis from both medical and political points of view. This study investigates the influence of 5 different light spectra on the active substance content in THC-poor hemp of the Alessia chemotype II variety. The focus is on comparing conventional growing under metal halide lamps with growing under high-pressure sodium (HPS) vapor lamps with regard to different spectra of LED lighting modules. Growing was carried out in 10 growing boxes under controlled and mostly identical conditions for all boxes. The photoperiod during the vegetative phase was 18 h light and photosynthetic photon flux density ∼520 μmol⋅m−2 s−1. The flowering phase was 12 h light and ∼540 μmol⋅m−2 s−1. During the experiment, CO2, temperature, and humidity were measured and logged.

Box setup. HPS, high-pressure sodium.

Additionally, weekly measurements of chlorophyll, electric conductivity of the fertilizer, activity measurement (salt content) of the soil, and pH value of the soil were checked. The content of cannabinoids was measured by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Plant height and growth were monitored during the whole experiment by cameras taking pictures every 30 min and loading them onto a cloud storage platform. Cannabinoid content was measured using HPLC. Plant wet weight was determined at the end of the experiment and showed that plants under the high pressure lamp treatment had less flower weight than those under the LED treatment. In conclusion, it could be shown that certain LED spectra can considerably increase the amount of cannabinoids with respect to conventional illumination (HPS)
Here for the PDF https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/510146

unhappy? I can post on osa as quick

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Ahh for fuck sake why don't ya spend less time cutting and pasting and more time trying to grow ya plants!!!

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Side by side needs clones of same strain ,,they have put in plants ,,sound like from seed.

Yet even with clones a side by side can be rigged,,

and they said they have no conflict of interest…beats me why they went to the trouble .

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Side by side needs clones of same strain ,,they have put in plants ,,sound like from seed.

Yet even with clones a side by side can be rigged,,

and they said they have no conflict of interest…beats me why they went to the trouble .

I cant be fucked reading too much, but they were clones. I would like to know what the make/brand of each light used was.

Materials and Methods​

In order to examine the impact of the spectral composition of illuminating light, 10 growing boxes were equipped with several light sources (2 HPS lamps and 4 different LED light spectra in 2 boxes each).

Unrooted C. sativa L. cuttings from multiple motherplants of “Alessia” chemotype II (Ai Fame, Schönengrund, Switzerland) were dipped into root hormone powder (indole-3-butyric acid), inserted into easy plugs CT104C (Eazy Plug in DS Goirle, the Netherlands), and watered. The cuttings were kept in a greenhouse (57 × 38 × 22 cm) in 90% relative humidity at ∼25°C (± 2°C) and were lit for 18 h (16:00 until 10:00) per day by 2 LED lights (Philips CoreLine Batten 4,000 K) with ∼195 μmol⋅m−2 s−1. After 12 days, all the cuttings had taken root, and the greenhouse windows were opened for acclimatization. After 14 days in the greenhouse, the best rooted cuttings were transplanted into 1-L trays with earth substrate 144 from Ricoter (Aarberg, Switzerland) and placed in the growing boxes (115 × 65 × 115 cm). After 3 days in the growing chambers, they were fertilized for the first time.

Raniformis

Curing
User ID
I don't need to see anything scientifically, you can look at the bud and see which one looks better. LED seems to have more pistil action and the bud looks tighter.

Tight bud doesn't equate to more stoned though, surface area equates to more stoned.

Dunno, at what point do we see the crossover between plants selected under HPS and LED?

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
variables = different results
same clone :
grown inland Vs on the coast
soil with X amendment Vs soil without X amendment
X bottled nutrient Vs Y bottled nutrient
expert grower Vs beginner grower
soil Vs coco
& yes X spectrum light Vs Y spectrum light

in a commercial world these differences makes one product more valuable & sort after
than the next , wine grapes are a good example of produce grown in different regions of the world
in fact i would suggest you Want those differences , if everyone grows under the same spectra light
& uses the same bottled nutrient with the same competency = generic results = price war , which
is sort of good for the buying consumer i guess

of cause reputation plays a roll but Penfolds Vs Wolf Blass , one is more sort after than the other
personally i'd rather be selling less Penfolds cannabis = more sort after & more expensive Vs
selling larger quantities of Wolf Blass cannabis = not as sort after , can be found everywhere cheaper
& from a financial aspect prob the same % return on investment , but what your selling is Exclusivity

BMW & Mercedes have sold on this principle for years although they have been changing that model
over recent years to not so exclusive

as we understand more , along with breeding these sort of trials are handy if your needing to chase a
particular terpene or cannabinoid for a particular ailment

Top Bottom