Help I f*cked up

Secretchief

Vegetating
User ID
So I had a bit of a fuck up, long story short is I have possible light stress, definitely drowned and possibly a bacterial issue. Here's what happened:
Using Coco 30% perlite. 24-30 air temp, lights at 250 par. 2x green crack (the sad ones) 2x rainbow (blue pots) 2x alien X gg (pink pots)
Popped and everything was great, at day 10 I gave a 1/4 strength dose of "root roids" I got given as a sample from the local, basically a few bennies to promote root growth,
Around day 14 I had to go away for a week so I figured I they would either die or I would have to drown them, I put a few cm of water in the trays, crossed my fingers and went away.
Everything was alive when I returned but obvious signs of overwatering and pretty stunted with some spotting on the leaves one plant, and pale lower leaves on all.
I let them dry out and fed with about 300ppm of my 3 part plus calmag (.5ml/L) and silica (.5ml/L) twice, and turned my lights down to about 200par.
They liked that and 4 look to be recovering well but 2 are just not taking in anything. I transplanted everything yesterday to give some fresh dry medium and I have given them all a little h202 in the last feed and will continue that for a few more.
I guess what I'm wondering is do I fuck the 2 dwarfs off and replant or keep going and see what happens. What else do you recommend?

Attachments

• P_20220506_104910.jpg
    P_20220506_104910.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 14
  • P_20220506_104901.jpg
    P_20220506_104901.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 14
  • P_20220506_104852.jpg
    P_20220506_104852.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 14

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Im still learning the caper but I'd think you should be feeding A and B grow nutrient mix daily to run off at about 0.4-0.6 EC and at 5.8pH

I think they look hungry. Coco has nothing to sustain plants after they use up their reserve in the seed.

Pretty sure its nothing to do with your lights

Jaz

Curing
User ID
do I fuck the 2 dwarfs off and replant or keep going and see what happens. What else do you recommend?

I notice the 2 smallest ones are in the largest pots, a case of soggy feet and/or Green Crack not as resilient to your conditions as the others.

I've found they take very long to recover if at all, if you leave them. The leaves start browning at the tips and it only gets worse - my experience.

If by 'fuck the 2 dwarfs off' you mean you're going to get rid of them; I'd rather give them a chance and repot into same size pots as the others, with fresh medium, try your best not to disturb the root ball and give them a dose of root roids; a very small amount (use a large eyedropper), watering around the stem, don't saturate the pot.
Expect some transplant shock, a few days with no improvement but if you're lucky and see colour re-emerging into the leaves, you're on the right track.
I've revived seedlings this way in the past after a friend left them outside during heavy rain while I was away.

Best of luck.

j

Last edited:

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Im still learning the caper but I'd think you should be feeding A and B grow nutrient mix daily to run off at about 0.4-0.6 EC and at 5.8pH

I think they look hungry. Coco has nothing to sustain plants after they use up their reserve in the seed.

Pretty sure its nothing to do with your lights
This is what I would do also not what @Jaz our resident know it all said above!!

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Yeah I agree , they need to be fed

0.8 EC will do the trick

No need to change medium's

Almost impossible to over water coco

Won't take long for them to get back on track

Madmick

Baked
User ID
"I've found they take very long to recover if at all, if you leave them. The leaves start browning at the tips and it only gets worse - my experience."

Wrong Jaz

Jaz

Curing
User ID
"I've found they take very long to recover if at all, if you leave them. The leaves start browning at the tips and it only gets worse - my experience."

Wrong Jaz

I can't possibly be wrong about 'my experience', it's what I observed with my own eyes, occurring over a few days.

Ymmv.

j

Last edited:

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Well it's not mine , bad growing technique, lack of understanding of what's actually happening probably contributed to your failures

Shows lack of experience and understanding of the basic fundamentals

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I can't possibly be wrong about 'my experience', it's what I observed with my own eyes, occurring over a few days.

Ymmv.

j
Is that in your "experience" growing in coco? ...do tell :unsure:

I think what others are getting at, is that you are giving advice on things you have no experience with (again :rolleyes:) and potentially putting the OP on the wrong path. You may notice I didn't offer any advice on this thread, this is because I (same as you) have no experience growing in coco, so anything I offer up would be hearsay or conjecture. Importantly, it could be wrong and further jeapordise the OP's grow.

Why do you feel the need to constantly pretend you know shit? Just fluffing your ego, sadly at the cost of the person asking for help? :(

Jaz

Curing
User ID
it could be wrong and further jeapordise the OP's grow.

OP claimed he was going to 'fuck the 2 dwarfs off'.

Personally I like to give them every chance possible.

If he's going to 'fuck them off', why not try one last Hail Mary Move and see if he lucks out?

I clearly said, 'if you're going to get rid of them; I'd rather give them a chance', is there any harm to try something as a last resort if all else fails? After all, it was how I was able to revive my seedlings after they were left out during a run of bad weather.

j

Last edited:

Pikey

Baked
User ID
After all, it worked for me when my seedlings were left out during a run of bad weather.
So these plants you your mum mate left outside in the "bad weather", they were growing in coco were they?

Madmick

Baked
User ID
That's not what the OP said at all

OP actually said
"I guess what I'm wondering is do I fuck the 2 dwarfs off and replant or keep going and see what happens. What else do you recommend?"

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
OP claimed he was going to 'fuck the 2 dwarfs off'.

Personally I like to give them every chance possible.

If he's going to 'fuck them off', why not try one last Hail Mary Move and see if he lucks out?

I clearly said, 'if you're going to get rid of them; I'd rather give them a chance', is there any harm to try something as a last resort if all else fails? After all, it was how I was able to revive my seedlings after they were left out during a run of bad weather.

j
Wrong again idiot he said he was wondering if he should fuck them off!!
Why don't you take your own advice and read the post properly!!

Jaz

Curing
User ID
Either way, no point bickering and derailing this poor guy's thread... like you always do.

fetchimage

If all else fails and he tries what I said, as a last ditch effort... let's see what happens. I told him what I did and it revived my seedlings after they went through worse.

j

Last edited:

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Either way, no point bickering and derailing this poor guy's thread... like you always do.

If all else fails and he tries what I said, as a last resort... let's see what happens.

j
So rather than answer the legitimate question or admit that you are wrong, you back pedal and try to "take the higher ground". You're a fucking joke! šŸ˜©

Secretchief

Vegetating
User ID
Haha thanks boys this was a good laugh to come back to.

The massive pots is because they were already re potted, didn't have anything smaller unfortunately. I also have a little hydroton in there now so should have plenty of air
I was concerned that the Coco was getting anaerobic because from bacteria but sounds like I need to flush a good couple of feeds through. They have plenty of roots but .8 EC seems a little strong for that size? Just want some confirmation before I go and fry them

Reactions: Jaz

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Maybe 0.8 will be fine

Don't knowwhat water supply you have but tap water here is 0.2 so 0.8 is just fine

Just make sure you get a decent run off each time you feed

As they get stronger feed 2X a day , they'll love it

seeded

Vegetating
User ID
you should be feeding A and B grow nutrient mix daily to run off at about 0.4-0.6 EC and at 5.8pH
Coco has a higher ideal ph, around 6.3, compared to normal hydro which gets run at 5.8 which in of itself I think is a mistake as you move away from that ideal ph instead of towards it as nutes and water are used if you start there. Also given that the pots are clearly being hand watered there's no need for daily run off. Given the pot size and their size he can feed them once a week and in a week or two start giving them a mid week feed as well. There's no need for run off at all except for every 6 weeks or so when he should give the coco a flush as the ph will drop considerably and either need fixing or he's going to have to adjust the ph of his feeds higher to balance it out which comes with it's own problems as some nutrients won't get consumed and will build up anyway. Given he's a noob flushing is the safer option there.
What else do you recommend?
You've got two problems, first is they're starving, second is ph as you never mentioned it. I'm not sure of the pot sizes you're using but find out their volume eg. 5L and then multiply it by 3 to get 15L and then add all the pots up. Once you have a final litre number fill a container with that amount of water and going by the instructions on your hopefully coco specific nutrient make it up to half strength and add the same amount of your calmag supplement (both likely 2.5mL per L) as you're likely about to flush the original buffer away. After everything has been mixed make sure the ph is 6.3 and then give each pot 3x it's volume. This will create an extreme amount of run off so do it in a sink or something. Flushing this way effectively hits the reset button on the pot and starts you off at the ideal ph for coco which over a few days will see the plants force fed and bounce back incredibly. Make sure you test the run off from the pots for ph too. Once it's 6.3 as well and stays that way you'll have sorted it out. This is especially important if you need to flush mid to late grow as the ph can drop wildly in the coco and if you test it and it's say 4.5ph instead of wasting nutes and therefor money give it a jug of nutes that have been ph'd to say 8 and then resume 6.3 as this will greatly help bounce it back up.

Worrying about EC is overrated in my opinion. Just stick to half strength feeds that are ph adjusted once a week and when they need a mid week water give them 1/4 strength then. Don't exceed this amount until the plants are larger and looking a little hungry at which point you can up them to half strength for the mid week feed too. Again when they're hungry up them to full strength once a week and keep it at half mid week. If you do that you're basically ensuring that the plant is using up as much of the nutrients as possible and limit the amount the ph of the coco can drop. This can result in not needing to have run off or needing to flush at all because you'll just give them plain water in their final weeks to force them to consume what's left and then cannibalise themselves anyway. Obviously though if you run into problems flush them out with a fresh batch of nutes that's been ph adjusted to reset the pot and move on as you did before. Where EC testing can come in handy is testing run off to see how much nutes are being used as you can lower feeds or up them if need be but I never bother with that and let the plants tell me if they've got issues and flush if needed making sure the all important ph is in order.

Top Bottom